Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

Leggett announces Percontee firm as builder of $3 billion science center in Montgomery

While the new science center will be located in Montgomery County in White Oak, this is good news for Northern PG in places like Calverton, Laurel, Adelphi, and College Park. All of these areas are less then 5 miles from White Oak which could serve as an employment hub for those areas. In addition, PG can go after companies that will want to locate near the science center which is described as the eastern version of the I-270 science corridor. Keep in mind that this is one of those 20 year plans. But at least it's a plan. They will try to break ground as soon as possible as the FDA complained about the lack of amenities in eastern Montgomery County. The FDA saw the plans and is very excited and wants things to move along quickly.
Quote:
Montgomery County Executive Isiah Leggett wants to create a $3 billion life sciences research center at a former sludge composting facility site north of White Oak, and on Friday he announced the private partner the county selected to build it.

Leggett (D) said in a news conference on Friday that the life sciences center, to be called LifeSci Village, would become a “true mixed-use legacy development project” that would drive the economy for eastern Montgomery County for generations to come.
“This will literally turn a brownfield into a world-class bio sciences employment and research center,” Leggett said.
Montgomery County Council member Nancy Navarro (D-Eastern County) said that residents in the county’s eastern area were eager for a core center of employment and commerce.
“This is the part of the county that has been waiting for a very long time,” she said.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 01-03-2013 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 AM

Also, plans for the new site for the Washington Adventist Hospital was approved by the Montgomery County Planning Commission. The hospital will be part oft he overall all plan for the new LifeSci Village. Below is a map for perspective. The hospital will be located directly behind the Target shopping center. I'm not sure when the start date will be. But this would be a great option for my wife and I as it will only be the closest hospital to us by far. The diagonal line in the bottom right-hand corner is the PG county line. As you can see, the new LifeSci Village will not be too far for employees who may live in this part of PG.
Attached Thumbnails
B White Oak Science Center Good News For N. PG-wah.jpg  

Old 06-19-2015, 01:34 PM

What's funny is, I floated this project 2 years ago which is even more isolated than Konterra being far removed from the ICC, 495, and I-95. Rt. 29 is congested. There is currently no mass transit and spotty bus service. The demos aren't as sexy as west Montgomery county. No one said a thing. This thread died. No one said it would fail due to lack of mass transit, isolation, or any other reason. Crickets. Thoughts?

Quote:
County leaders hope to establish an economic center of gravity for a region that has been all but cut out of the public and private investment poured into Bethesda, Silver Spring, Shady Grove and other areas of Montgomery over the past three decades.
Montgomery County Council approves White Oak Science Gateway plan - The Washington Post

http://www.montgomerycountychamber.c...iew-011212.pdf

Old 06-19-2015, 04:15 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
What's funny is, I floated this project 2 years ago which is even more isolated than Konterra being far removed from the ICC, 495, and I-95. Rt. 29 is congested. There is currently no mass transit and spotty bus service. The demos aren't as sexy as west Montgomery county. No one said a thing. This thread died. No one said it would fail due to lack of mass transit, isolation, or any other reason. Crickets. Thoughts?

Montgomery County Council approves White Oak Science Gateway plan - The Washington Post

http://www.montgomerycountychamber.c...iew-011212.pdf
White Oak is very similar to Konterra in that there's limited demand and thus it hasn't gotten off the ground, even though it's been discussed for well over a decade. White Oak's regional demos have gotten a bit better in that it's effectively sandwiched between HoCo and DTSS, but even still, I don't foresee it having any real momentum until BRT is established (which is in the planning phase) and even then it'll have an uphill battle to attract enough interest - and support high enough rents - needed to see new development. Focusing on drawing employers will be key, because without that I'm not sure why anyone would pick White Oak over other moderate income areas of the county.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
White Oak is very similar to Konterra in that there's limited demand and thus it hasn't gotten off the ground, even though it's been discussed for well over a decade. White Oak's regional demos have gotten a bit better in that it's effectively sandwiched between HoCo and DTSS, but even still, I don't foresee it having any real momentum until BRT is established (which is in the planning phase) and even then it'll have an uphill battle to attract enough interest - and support high enough rents - needed to see new development. Focusing on drawing employers will be key, because without that I'm not sure why anyone would pick White Oak over other moderate income areas of the county.
At least they have a sign up that says construction will start at White Oak. I haven't been by there in a while to see if they started moving in heavy equipment. They could have started further back toward the FDA campus away from Cherry Hill road. It would be hard to tell from Cherry Hill road what is going on if that were the case.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:21 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
The big difference between this and Konterra...it has a major anchor in terms of a Federal agency with regards to the FDA. Konterra lacks any anchor even closely resembling the importance of the FDA. Considering the already large presence of biotech and pharma firms in Montgomery, this is to it's advantage. Without a major anchor from the start, a large federal agency, or a corporate headquarters, these types of projects flat out fail. In general Montgomery County has far better demographics than PG in terms of educational attainment.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:25 AM

Viva White Oak!

Quote:
Viva White Oak, located immediately north of the Food and Drug Administration consolidated campus and south of the proposed Washington Adventist Hospital site, will combine 115 acres controlled by Montgomery County with a 185-acre sand and gravel quarry owned by Global LifeSci, an affiliate of Percontee Inc. A public-private partnership, led by Percontee, will oversee the development. The two sides are finalizing a general development agreement.
Quote:
The first phase will be limited to 1,000 market-rate residential units until the developer locks up 300,000 square feet of commercial development. The initial phase also will require more than $100 million in transportation improvements, to include two new roads, a bikeway, a road widening and the White Oak Circulator.
http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...king+Ground%29

Old 10-06-2015, 01:33 PM

An added note: Viva White Oak is entering the development phase according to the article in the above post.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:46 PM

640 posts, read 1,294,898 times
This Great News !! Thanks for Sharing!! I always thought that area had potential. Due to it proximity to Rt.29 and FDA. it also close to 95 and 200 as well. They should develop the area close to east 200 as well.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:29 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
Needs to be a rail line in that area....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland