Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 07:25 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,399,652 times

Advertisements

Look at the results of the last governor election... Virginia is still a pretty conservative state outside of Northern VA and a few other places like Charlottesville, Norfolk, Hampton and Newport News so if it's so important to you to be somewhere that's "not woke" (whatever that means) you have a myriad of options in the wonderful state of Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 02:44 AM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
No issue with someone who asks a simple question. Do have an issue with the folks who think their way of living is the only right way to do things and insult others who think differently, and with people who don't know bias when they see and hear it.
Considering that some have insulted those who don't agree with them...

Where did I ever say that "their way of living" is somehow wrong? All I said was that there are closed-minded people on both sides of the aisle. Yet, for some reason, you felt the need to get upset with my statement. That's all I'll say so the thread can stay on topic. And the topic is where are the conservative areas of VA.

Old 02-15-2023, 05:24 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,361,632 times
Mecklenburg County will be close to the top of any "conservative" list, but anywhere in what is called SOVA is conservative.

Old 02-24-2023, 09:08 AM

15 posts, read 18,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Outdoorsman View Post
There are a lot of places in Virginia that would fit your criteria so you need to be more specific; schools, topography, climate, recreational opportunities, rural or urban living, etc.

In general, the reddest parts of Virginia are in the Southwest, South & Central Virginia along with the Shenandoah Valley. The majority by land area is conservative.

The most liberal or Democratic areas would be Northern Virginia, college towns like Charlottesville or any precinct/city with a sizeable Black population.

If you want to be in a bigger metropolitan area you could look into Roanoke, Lynchburg, Richmond or Virginia Beach but not all parts of those metros will be conservative, however the counties generally are. I could help you narrow down further once I know what else matters to you.

If you go to a smaller metro or rural area there is no question of how red it is, many of these places are 80%+ Republican voting precincts.

I live in South Central Virginia and conservative, if that helps.
Topo and schools are of no concern. Husband is a mountain biker I am a hiker. Natural trails would be the best. I am an avid vegetable gardener and would also like to keep chickens and do some minor homesteading. Rural living but somewhat close to civilization to aid in shopping.

We are looking at a budget of $250,000 for a home. Like I said in a rural area but close to civilization.

We are very conservative and believe in our Constitution.

Thank you,
Michelle

Old 02-24-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
That last sentence was uncalled for. Seriously. "Compassionate and open-minded people" come from both sides of the aisle.

OP---Good for you for doing your homework before picking a spot to settle down! Once you get out of NoVA, there is a lot of natural beauty in VA.
Thank you

Old 02-24-2023, 10:47 AM

172 posts, read 119,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meesh1966 View Post
Topo and schools are of no concern. Husband is a mountain biker I am a hiker. Natural trails would be the best. I am an avid vegetable gardener and would also like to keep chickens and do some minor homesteading. Rural living but somewhat close to civilization to aid in shopping.

We are looking at a budget of $250,000 for a home. Like I said in a rural area but close to civilization.

We are very conservative and believe in our Constitution.

Thank you,
Michelle
You'll find Virginia conservatives to be much more religious and socially conservative than in New England.

However, there are many Constitutionalists here as well, especially given our state's history, and they are not mutually exclusive to one another -- especially in support of the 2nd Amendment.

I mean, major 2A support in Virginia. To the point where we gun control measures are met with state and local militia musters that are, in some cases, aligned with their County's official government.

If you want somewhat rural but not far from civilization you should look at the counties in Southern or Central Virginia: Bedford, Campbell, Franklin, Floyd, Appomattox, Powhatan, Amelia, Cumberland, Buckingham, Charlotte, Halifax, Pittsylvania, Patrick, Henry, Lunenberg, Mecklenberg, Prince George, Dinwiddie, Hanover, Chesterfield. These are all deep red counties with the exception of Chesterfield, which is now only lightly red but offers proximity to Richmond and the airport.

Old 02-24-2023, 11:49 AM

[quote=VA Outdoorsman;64856579]Forgot to mention, since you're from Rhode Island, you may want to be close to the bay/coast. If that's the case both the Middle Peninsula and Northern Neck by the Chesapeake Bay are also very conservative (CD-1), so are the parts a little bit inland. The lower Peninsula is also fairly conservative except for the cities -- mainly due the colleges nearby and sizable Black populations.

Rural Virginia is more conservative than rural New England but we also have rural Black areas in the South that vote predominately Democratic, so keep that in mind when you're looking. Those areas aren't necessarily bad and I don't mean to generalize or stereotype people but the politics is what it is. If an area votes Democratic the 'woke' policies will be present regardless of whether the population is socially liberal or not, that's just the way things are these days. Many of those rural Blacks are socially conservative Christians too, so it's quite a dilemma for them I'm sure.

This is the most accurate map available from the 2022 election, by precinct:

https://www.vpap.org/visuals/visual/...s-by-precinct/[/QUOTE

Thank you. You have been very helpful.

Old 02-24-2023, 12:30 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
^
Nice example of Gerrymandering, sad......

Old 02-24-2023, 07:40 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,060,616 times
Some of the counties in the southernmost parts of Virginia are very accessible to metro areas like Raleigh-Durham and Greensboro in North Carolina for air service, etc.

Old 02-28-2023, 09:59 AM

537 posts, read 445,178 times
Do yourself a favor and go just a little farther--just over the state line in Northeast Tennessee.

People there don't care if you're Democrat or Republican. Just don't go off quoting a bunch of WOKE stuff and you'll be fine.

Upper East Tennessee is like a breath of fresh air in this world. The people have unique personalities up there. They like to laugh, tell stories and joke around. Many of the good traits in people show up there. Even public radio plays bluegrass music during the day. And on top of that, the beauty of the mountains is just incredible. And in the rural areas, it's a very safe place to live.

I traveled there extensively out of Atlanta for work. My sister spends half her year in Banner-Elk, NC--just over the NC state line from Johnson City. She hates to leave her mountain home for the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia