Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 06:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't like that and I think my audience feels the same way ....

Then dispute the copyright claim because someone else's ads are going to be shown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 03:54 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,543,038 times
Quote:
I understand about not using copyrighted music IE stealing it off the web or using a CD that I bought and pulling a song from that to use on a video that is shared with the public and that I might make money on.
FWIW, the part I bolded points to a misconception I am seeing often.

Money has absolutley nothing to do with it. It doesn't matter if you are a charity or "non-profit" entity. It doesn't matter if you are doing it for "fun" or not selling it. If you don't have permission to use the music (through an arrangment with the copyright holder or via a licensing agreement) it is a copyright violation.

There are no loopholes or exceptions (fair use has very limited application and doesn't apply to anything discussed in this thread).

Sure, you may not ever get caught/sued or get a YT "strike." It doesn't change the underlying concept that you cannot use someone else's music without permission.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:57 AM

329 posts, read 512,379 times
I posted a few videos made by the East German military a few years ago and they got taken down and I got copyright notice.

Last time I checked East Germany ceased to exist as a nation on October 3rd 1990.

It was most likely some media company "that acquired" the rights to the video after re-unification.

Old 11-02-2019, 08:55 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,427,301 times
Quote:
I understand about not using copyrighted music IE stealing it off the web or using a CD that I bought and pulling a song from that to use on a video that is shared with the public and that I might make money on.

I learned that lesson the hard way when I once won a video contest and one of the judges asked me how long I had been playing piano. I don't For some reason I thought that a piano piece that is hundreds of years old was exempt being in the "Public Domain" which I believe it is BUT I did not have permission from the person that played and recorded the piece in modern times. OOPS.

What I think is crazy is that in this video that I received the warning to the music came from the youtube editor itself so one would assume that youtube has the rights to music that they offer to their users to put into their videos. I wonder if the license expired?

Thanks for your response, now I know it is not a scam.
Do you have a link to this song? Did you get it from the Youtube Audio Library or from a channel claiming to be "royalty free" ?

Additionally, songs that may be free to use now, may be changed later because the owner of the copyright changed their mind.

For my videos, I have mostly used songs from the Youtube Audio Library but I have used ones that are released by other channels as royalty free. There are sometimes stipulations like, you must credit the original artist in your post.

If you researched it and followed the rules, you can dispute the claim to youtube and possibly have the copyright strike removed.

From Youtube's Help section:
If you get 3 copyright strikes:

Your account, along with any associated channels, is subject to termination.
All the videos uploaded to your account will be removed.
You can't create new channels.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:38 PM

93 posts, read 68,151 times
I remember uploading several music promotional videos on my Youtube channel, but only a few were cited a copyrighted warning and uploading was halted. Other than that, a simple response to the claimer should solve your issue.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:24 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,544,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is likely scam and it's not a new one. The person claims copyright, you ignore it and ads appear on your videos. They get the revenue. Personally I wouldn't stand for it and Youtube should have a way for you dispute the claim.

The written music would be exempt, the performance would not be.
Hi were they able to even find his vid and make a copyright claim ? YouTube algorithm?

Old 01-01-2021, 10:21 AM

760 posts, read 769,479 times
I always contested those BS copyright notice things and ALWAYS won, it's amazing how they are trying to claim a copyright on music I'm clearly playing myself, out of an old book or other sources of public domain music that was written back in the 1600s, 1700s etc!!
I would contest it, include the information and a link to the source of the obvious public domain score, and they always back down.
I havent gotten those in maybe a year.

They tried to claim a copyright on "Blainwern" a hymn tune written in 1905 by a guy in the UK who has been DEAD for 80 years! I sent 3 different links to sources for the score showing all the info and "public domain" and never heard a word, the copyright claim was removed off my video.

Another was of my video playing "Was Gott Das Wohlgetan", (Samuel Rodegast, 1675) obviously the composer has been dead for over 340 years, and a "Concord music publishing" tried to claim my video playing "Westminster Abbey" was their "Christ is made the sure foundation" yet this music was written by Henry Purcell in 1680!!!
I contested all of these and won all of them.

I sent them thelink to the music and public domain score I used and told them to go take a hike!
They try to hijack people's videos to monitize them for themselves, it's insane to think someone is trying to still cash in on a piece of music whose composer has been DEAD for 340 years! If I dont make a dime on my videos, some 3rd party music publisher shouldnt be making money off MY video for doing nothing, youtube hosts the video, I have no issue with youtube making ad revenue for hosing it.

https://hymnary.org/tune/westminster_abbey_purcell

Tune Information
Title: WESTMINSTER ABBEY
Composer: Henry Purcell (1680)
Copyright:Public Domain

Old 01-01-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
This is likely scam and it's not a new one. The person claims copyright, you ignore it and ads appear on your videos. They get the revenue. Personally I wouldn't stand for it and Youtube should have a way for you dispute the claim.

The written music would be exempt, the performance would not be.

It IS a legal scam and it's by "robot" on youtube looking for certain algorithms to make claims of copyrights on people's videos, laughable thing is entire MOVIES, TV shows, Disney MGM etc get put up and they'll be up for months or years and the "robots" dont take them down, but your kid plays a 90 second long video of "Twinkle twinkle little star" on the piano at a school recital and WHAMO! you get a notice by some BS music company that they claim to own the rights to that song and you are in violation!

There isnt even a way to report OBVIOUS copyright violations to youtube unless you are the actual copyright owner! So you see either full movies up there or 47 two minute "clips" where the full movie is split into 47 parts, or it's flipped horizontally and put into a frame to fool the "robots", or you see a little clip with a still picture and a "click here to watch the full movie" and it's a link to some off site web site that wants you to sign up for an account to watch.

Then you get the ones who put these laughable "disclaimers" that they dont know actually implicates them as copyright violators when it says;

"I do not own the rights and don't claim to own any part of this movie"

Yet thats an admission they willingly violated youtube's TOS and copyright law, which states in so many words that by uploading to youtube you agree that you OWN all content and rights to the material.

Others try to claim "fair use" for "educational purposes" laughably cite a paragraph of legal text, and try getting around that fair use exemption to upload a full 2 hour long movie LOL!! "Fair use" doesnt mean you can upload a 2 hour long Disney movie, it means you can use small, brief sniplets like a trailer in a larger work like a critique or to explain a plot.
Somehow youtube lets them get away with it and I've seen one woman's video she took of her horse that was duplicated by at least half a dozen or more other people with obviously stupid bogus, nonsensical user names and reuploaded on their own accounts to get click revenue, the woman was furious!

Old 01-01-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
FWIW,

Sure, you may not ever get caught/sued or get a YT "strike." It doesn't change the underlying concept that you cannot use someone else's music without permission.

Also, most people don't know it, but you no longer have to register something for a copyright, according to copyright law, since I think it was 1978- you no longer have to add the (C) or register, that anything in a tangeable form is automatically copyrighted upon creation, but it's helpful to register it if you have to go to court to sue for infringement.
So, while people might laugh- even your emails are automatically copyrighted when you created them in tangeable form, which means people copy/pasting them to a third party or platform like a blog are violating your copyright.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Then dispute the copyright claim because someone else's ads are going to be shown.

Right! and you wont have any control over or idea WHAT those ads might be of, your kid's school video could have ads for women's bras and tampons or who knows what!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Videography