Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 07:31 PM

14 posts, read 23,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I agree... give it time...

+ = drones / telecommute / jobs into WA / higher fuel costs / conservation / dedicated Express busses / use of more rail (freight and passenger), future advances in communication and transportation, less need for truck shipment (everyone has a 3D printer to make their JUNK...)

minus -
varied reasons for Portland 'needs' (food / culture / crazies / Gardens / shopping...)
Amazon Prime!!~!, creates WAY too much traffic / wear on roads, congestion of commerce (IMHO... it has cost me $20k in new driveways for my rural rentals, ),,, last week a renter had a $0.25 box of baking soda delivered by a big fast moving truck that tears up the roads.
If I had my druthers it would be a "country home in the Gorge" - Washougal for instance. It is isolated and a car is needed. I drive now but my visual situation, in terms of driving, is at the border. As in minimum driving acuity (20/40 and I am holding at 20/30) so the particulars, apart from that, are less key. A nice small home, near an urban center (Portland) with a mixed neighborhood - in terms of ages. I live in SF and all the new buyers are 30 going on 29. Techie couples. I'm in my early 60s and just 10% of my neighborhood is over 60. I really started to notice it last year when the last "old timers" on my block passed away. Mid 80s. Several such folk passed away in their homes and it was weeks before anyone knew. I fear that kind of isolation 20 years now for myself. It's a segmented neighborhood with the over 60s basically ignored and, truth to tell, somewhat resented.

I have rentals in Ohio and fortunately the landlord/tenant relationship is quite positive. When I first purchased there and exchanged from Cali I asked about hiring a person to do the lawn. My great PM said no problem. The "guys" do that on the weekend and you don't need one.

BTW, the "country home in the Gorge" comes from a Rose Villa video. Beautiful homes, views of the Gorge. Perfect but for one has to do a total buy-in. Not something I would do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 10:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,769 posts, read 58,219,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug1245 View Post
If I had my druthers it would be a "country home in the Gorge" - Washougal for instance. It is isolated and a car is needed. I drive now but my visual situation, in terms of driving, is at the border. ...
BTW, the "country home in the Gorge" comes from a Rose Villa video. Beautiful homes, views of the Gorge. Perfect but for one has to do a total buy-in. Not something I would do.
Yes, my FIL had to finally move to town at age 91 due to sight issues and driving dangers living in a Mtn Canyon without guard rails.

In our Gorge Neighborhood, we have 90% retirees (maybe 3 people working in the adjacent 20 homes). We help each other out, and ideally I will convert my home to 'shared equity' ownership with those of like mind and similar travel schedule.
https://groundedsolutions.org/homeowner-testimonials/
We all have multiple dwelling units on each property (except (2) modular homes. Zoning avoidance... no problem, I spend far less than 183 days in WA / yr and plan to change my Domicile to SD before I spend $280 for another worthless WA EDL. (Enhanced Drivers License), Which as a CDL (commercial) holder I have to buy every 5 yrs. (and get drug tested many times / yr). For ID... I will stick with Sentri (Canadian version of USA Global Entry, but cheaper).

We have always done senior care volunteer work with rural neighbors, helping them to make home accessible and share rides and meals often. They need someone to stay with them during rehab... no problem, we do 'shifts' as neighbors / family and cover them 100% They go to Hospice, neighbors accompany till the end!

Not so bad in our particular spot. No yapping dogs, no dirt bikes, no / few guns, no loud cars or bikes.
<6 minutes to groceries. NO STOPLIGHTS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area