Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,209 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm hoping to move to Vancouver from NYC late summer/fall this year.
I'm in the process of narrowing down areas to look for apartment rentals and these are things I'm keeping present/would desire:

- SAFE
- Reasonable commute to Beaverton, Portland. My sister lives there
- Alternative transportation nearby (bus, amtrak, etc)
+ The possibility of gardening/grow food a huge plus

So far in my research I've come across Cascade Park, Fisher's Landing, Bennington, Officer's Row . My budget would be somewhere around $1,500.

Any suggestions?
Would love to hear some insight.

I'm 29 y/o working in health care, enjoy cooking, the outdoors and the music/arts scene.

Thanks!

Last edited by manuevic; 03-23-2018 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 01:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,825 posts, read 58,400,246 times
3 of the 4 Boston area grads we brought to Vancouver last spring as college hires live near Ester Short Park (Hilton / lower downtown). They really like it (tho is it certainly 'slower' that a big city.

as usual... I recommend Officers Row / Vancouver Historical Trust housing on / adjacent to the site of Ft Vancouver Historical National Park. (Would be nearly PERFECT if Memory Pool was still available (behind ex- Library) it was a GREAT indoor pool until they found asbestos and it mysteriously burnt to the ground soon afterward (really! a swimming pool burning to the ground )

Get on the waitlist for FVHT, and there are some decent nearby places while you wait (if you have to wait)
https://historictrustproperties.org/

Walking distance to:
  • Vancouver Farmer's Market
  • Bus terminal
  • Water front
  • Ft Vancouver
  • Library
  • Clark College
  • Marshal Community Center (adjacent FREE community garden)
  • Downtown (and Grand Central Retail Center)

Old 03-26-2018, 09:25 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,303,864 times
If you want a reasonable drive to Beaverton, then stay west. But driving the I-5 bridge at almost any time of day is a real hassle. It will not be getting better in the next decade either. Clark CO. continues to grow. But we still count on a 100 year old bridge to cross at I-5 over the Columbia.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:15 PM

Several coworkers commute from Beaverton, and friends commute to Intel (Hillsboro) for over 30 yrs.

Best to work off shift. But most take Cornelius Pass and St John's bridge daily. They seldom complain about time or traffic. But would not work for me since I insist to only live in counties with NO traffic lights! Just a minor requirement for me. your patience may vary.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:55 PM

5,537 posts, read 7,832,573 times
Sounds like the OP just wants to be able to get to Beaverton to see her sister on occasion, not commute there daily during the rush hour. In which case Vancouver is a perfectly viable option. It is not where I'd choose to live intentionally if I knew I was commuting to Beaverton though. There are plenty of reasonable options much closer. Like living in Beaverton itself.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 968 times
Hey, I'm currently living in SW Portland, and looking at moving to Vancouver sometime. You mention The Historic Trust properties, and I am wondering if you know the average wait time/price of homes there? I'm not seeing much info on their website.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:44 PM

10 posts, read 6,984 times
Any apartment community along the I-5 corridor in Vancouver would be ideal for frequent commuting into Beaverton. The downtown communities around Esther Short Park are incredible, but often spendy. The Vancouver Historical Trust housing is also fantastic, but rarely opens up. I would definitely get on the waitlist there, but don't count on getting anything. Anothe benefit to living in the downtown area is that it is very active socially, and many festivals and musical events happen there. It is also very close to great trails, lakes and parks.

For safety information: https://www.cityofvancouver.us/police/page/crime-map

Most apartments in the area allow residents to grow gardens on their patios. If that is not enough space for you, there are community gardens in multiple locations around the city. https://www.cityofvancouver.us/parks...munity-gardens

Old 04-27-2018, 01:01 PM

Actually, I know people who got through the Vancouver Historical trust housing wait list quite quickly. It is a SWEET spot to live (If you like convenience, QUIET,/ someone to mow your VAST grass... and can comply with Historical / access rules and don't need a shop / garage.)

Great community garden space nearby at Marshall Center.

Plenty of events within a short walk... at Clark College, Library, PUD Community Hall venue, Marshall / Luepke Center, Downtown, VHA (Housing Authority), Hudson Bay HS, Churches, Deaf and Blind Schools, Vanc School of Arts, (soon to be improved 'Academy').

Old 05-08-2018, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 2,208 times
If the Bevo commute is occasional, you will be fine. "The Couve", or more apt "Vantucky" will be quite a shock for you, coming from NYC. Just prepare yourself, it will seem like Mayberry. I moved to Portland from Dallas around '93, when 26 out of the tunnel was still 2 lanes. It was a huge shock, but I fell in love with it pretty quick. There is so much to do, in a short drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area