Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 09:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times

Advertisements

Definitely know what 'district' you are in!!! Or the Tax Man will inform you!

I have 2 properties across the street from each other, (not in CC, but nearby)
One is taxed at $14.7 per thousand, The other $8.4 (different schools, EMS levy)

Another case... 2 houses 30 seconds apart (same cost basis,of no concern to tax man)
$14,000+(annual taxes) for one home (assessor really likes this one)... + different county than the other home
$1,800 / yr taxes for the other one (this assessor is a bit more reasonable, but still values this home 2x what I paid for it)

As mentioned... what you pay for home has NO bearing on tax valuation (future or past)

Beware, know where you are buying and what the associated cost / benefit will be. +/-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Thank you for these detailed comparisons! They really do help others outside the area considering a move.

I have a follow-up question regarding Camas which we really like. Are the bordering communities of eastern Vancouver such as Cascade Park East and Mill Plain much different? From a distance it all looks pretty similar. Is that a false impression?

In our case since we homeschool our kids, the school districts aren't as important as proximity to other amenities.

Derek
As a property owner / investor, I consider the demographic (equity risk / return) significantly different in these border regions (of course this is specific to neighborhoods / streets. ) Both Camas and east Vancouver have 'transient / rental / investor centric' neighborhoods.

Both cities have +/- for being within their jurisdiction. (Camas will likely win that metric, largely due to 'smaller city' = strict control on Police, schools, services, growth, traffic, commercial centers...)

There are plenty of places I would comfortably buy on Camas side (equity viewpoint). Camas is not a great place to OWN and manage investment props (higher taxes and shared municipal burden), but a great place to SELL / flip props. Few buyers look seriously at the less obvious costs (Taxes, Insurance, utilities, impact fees).

There are some, but much fewer areas I would consider on the Vancouver side.

If either side had a decent 50m lap pool (affordable for seniors i.e. <$1/ swim) , I'd swim over in a second!
Camas P&R has avoided getting on the band wagon, and since LaCamas swim came to town, the city will not 'step on the toes' of a commercial revenue stream. (Which is how east Vancouver gave up the FREE land donated for community center 30 yrs ago) (192nd& SE 8th). All the private fitness places (3) that fought it have since gone broke / changed hands. 10's of thousands of residents have gone without a community center until Firstenburg arrived (donated property w/ children's play pool, but minimal 25m fitness lanes).

hint: if Swimming is a family sport / discipline. Prepare to pay for small private facilities. If you already have kids who are competitive swimmers (such as coming from CA, CO, UT, ID, NV), then evaluate your options in Clark County.

Homeschooling... always ask Clark County Home Educators - News & Events for current situation
There was a Friday Academy at the Church next to 192 Costco (not sure if it is there, it also met at Grace Foursquare yrs ago and even Bethel (Washougal) many yrs ago

Then there was a very going River Campus (Camas) of Homelink (BG based) River Homelink

A new group resource / https://www.clarkcountytoday.com/lif...pen-this-fall/

as well as the remnants of the historic Moore Institute (circa 1960 - 1980's) https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/About/aMain.aspx

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-20-2018 at 09:40 PM..

Old 03-20-2018, 10:51 PM

8,216 posts, read 16,708,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
As a property owner / investor, I consider the demographic (equity risk / return) significantly different in these border regions (of course this is specific to neighborhoods / streets. ) Both Camas and east Vancouver have 'transient / rental / investor centric' neighborhoods.

Both cities have +/- for being within their jurisdiction. (Camas will likely win that metric, largely due to 'smaller city' = strict control on Police, schools, services, growth, traffic, commercial centers...)

There are plenty of places I would comfortably buy on Camas side (equity viewpoint). Camas is not a great place to OWN and manage investment props (higher taxes and shared municipal burden), but a great place to SELL / flip props. Few buyers look seriously at the less obvious costs (Taxes, Insurance, utilities, impact fees).

There are some, but much fewer areas I would consider on the Vancouver side.

If either side had a decent 50m lap pool (affordable for seniors i.e. <$1/ swim) , I'd swim over in a second!
Camas P&R has avoided getting on the band wagon, and since LaCamas swim came to town, the city will not 'step on the toes' of a commercial revenue stream. (Which is how east Vancouver gave up the FREE land donated for community center 30 yrs ago) (192nd& SE 8th). All the private fitness places (3) that fought it have since gone broke / changed hands. 10's of thousands of residents have gone without a community center until Firstenburg arrived (donated property w/ children's play pool, but minimal 25m fitness lanes).

hint: if Swimming is a family sport / discipline. Prepare to pay for small private facilities. If you already have kids who are competitive swimmers (such as coming from CA, CO, UT, ID, NV), then evaluate your options in Clark County.

Homeschooling... always ask Clark County Home Educators - News & Events for current situation
There was a Friday Academy at the Church next to 192 Costco (not sure if it is there, it also met at Grace Foursquare yrs ago and even Bethel (Washougal) many yrs ago

Then there was a very going River Campus (Camas) of Homelink (BG based) River Homelink

A new group resource / https://www.clarkcountytoday.com/lif...pen-this-fall/

as well as the remnants of the historic Moore Institute (circa 1960 - 1980's) https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/About/aMain.aspx
Thanks for the homeschool resources. We'll take a look at those various groups. We're always looking for things the kids can with others in the area. We'll also be looking for a good youth group since they're teens.

None of our kids swim competitively. Though a good community pool is always something we enjoy if available and not overly expensive.

I haven't looked at the difference in taxes much but based on your other post I probably should. Is it simply a county thing or more variable than that level?

Thanks,
Derek

Old 03-20-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Definitely know what 'district' you are in!!! Or the Tax Man will inform you!

I have 2 properties across the street from each other, (not in CC, but nearby)
One is taxed at $14.7 per thousand, The other $8.4 (different schools, EMS levy)

Another case... 2 houses 30 seconds apart (same cost basis,of no concern to tax man)
$14,000+(annual taxes) for one home (assessor really likes this one)... + different county than the other home
$1,800 / yr taxes for the other one (this assessor is a bit more reasonable, but still values this home 2x what I paid for it)

As mentioned... what you pay for home has NO bearing on tax valuation (future or past)

Beware, know where you are buying and what the associated cost / benefit will be. +/-
This differential is pretty crazy given the close proximity. Is the main difference the county? Clark County is obviously higher than Skamania County. Here's one tax map of the state counties I found interesting. http://www.tax-rates.org/washington/...y_property_tax

Derek

Old 03-21-2018, 01:27 AM

Tax rates are very specific to taxing districts (many within a county) and valuations (very subjective, and vary widely and wildly different between counties / staff objectives) Clark has GROWTH so it is a sweet spot for assessor inflation. (He gets measured on the revenue his dept generates) should be ~$70m on $60b in valuations! (but it won't be that high, yet...). he does have a very nice new office (that Linda built). (his predecessor)

Camas is very high (but worth it for schools / resell)
It usually passes the bonds for Schools and EMS. +/-

You should be getting your tax info here:

https://www.clark.wa.gov/treasurer/p...ax-information
Note the historical valuations are up 8x in 30 yrs (my actual taxes are up 18.5x over 20 yrs (same house, only older / worn out))

Note that your source claims 9.9/1000, yet this chart shows a lot of 12 - 14/1000
https://www.clark.wa.gov/sites/defau..._2017-2018.pdf

It is always wise to get the assessor to discuss your potential purchase! I visit with them often (Because I can hardly believe their success / rationale). My appraiser has a great line. "Sell it to a Californian, they can afford to pay the taxes, and won't complain / be displaced". That's what he had his parents do!

Homeschool... We hired retired professors to take week-long 'educational' field trips to Geologic, Ocean, Historic, Economic sites in the PNW. We would engage local professionals and university extension and grad students to do presentations. Usually took a group of 30 - 50 students / parents. Was a great time for all, did it 4 - 6x / school yr! I most enjoyed living / working /homeschooling overseas (work assignments for me, company paid for family to accompany) and for extended field-trips in USA (up to 12 weeks). Also business opportunities. Most of our Homeschool group had businesses that were passed down through the homeschool kids. (and often employed kids). Some grew to multi-m$ viable businesses. Not uncommon for 12 - 14 yr olds to be netting $20 - 50k in their businesses. Our kids were running their own Roth IRA's by age 12, had plenty of assets (non-Fafsa attachable) by college (age 16 for RS). They are still doing very well at investing, community service, and learning and teaching / mentoring 10+ yrs beyond college).

Tons of work and sacrifice ($ and time) to Homeschool, but 10 very short EDU yrs and kids are GONE! (if they do Running Start).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-21-2018 at 01:45 AM..

Old 03-21-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Tons of work and sacrifice ($ and time) to Homeschool, but 10 very short EDU yrs and kids are GONE! (if they do Running Start).
Is the Running Start program even doable from the east side (Camas, etc..) of town since Clark College is on the west side (near I-5)? Or could they go at least in part to the eastern extension at Columbia Tech Center off 192nd and 1st?

Our son is taking dual enrollment courses right now at our local community college while in high school. And they have an extension ~ 12 miles away. But that extension is fairly limited in terms of courses offered and geared more toward remedial students and night courses for working adults.

Derek

Old 03-21-2018, 10:37 PM

CC / RS is very accessible from all of Clark County. > 30 min from the majority of Clark County, and 20 min from east side. (meaning Washougal / BEYOND Camas)

Some courses can be done from 192nd.

My kids averaged 120 miles / day during CC / RS as they had to Daily go Washougal to Battleground, Clark College (Downtown Vancouver), WSU (some days), Washougal (sports) and jobs (Vancouver).
On 'ski instruction workdays' (at Meadows Ski Area, 50 miles east of home,) they usually didn't do classes at Clark. But sometimes they took night classes during ski season. (since it is 'college' you really don't need to 'show-up' 100% of the time). They each maintained 3.8 - 4.0 at Clark during RS, and spent a lot of time there studying and tutoring non-English speaking adult students.

Challenges for teenagers is part of their 'game'...I told them ..."There are 24 hrs in a day... just figure it out so you get your AAS / full Jr transfer by the time you are done with HS".) One insisted on doing a course at HS + lettering in various sports..., so he suffered the most on driving and schedule, but completed 'the objective'. I think he had to cut back on work hours in final qtr at Clark. They usually took 16 - 19 CR Hrs, but RS caps at 15 CR Hours now. It is not advised to get the public school angry at you (they dislike RS as it takes quality kids out of their test scores (and erodes the few minor 'RS tuition dollars' from their bulging budget. )).

Note... As a homeschooler you MUST be 'sponsored' into RS via a Public School . They will discourage it with a fervor. Just do what is SMART (Remember your student needs to take the College enrollment test the yr BEFORE they enroll!)

Old 03-22-2018, 10:56 AM

5,452 posts, read 7,749,413 times
Stealth Rabbit is a big advocate of running start and for Stealth's kids it seems to have been the right path.

But you should do your own due diligence and make sure it is the right path for your kids. Basically Running Start is just early admission into communty college for HS juniors and seniors. It allows you to take one or more classes off campus at Clark (or other community colleges if you live outside of Clark County). I don't remember the exact rules but I think HS juniors can do part time and HS seniors can do full time running start.

The caution is that not all community college credits will necessarily transfer in a meaningful way into 4-year institutions and may not transfer at all to out of state universities. It really depends. I think all Washington 4-year universities are supposed to take running start credits but that doesn't mean the credits will be useful. For example if you go on and enter an engineering program at UW or WSU those schools are going to have their own specific graduation requirements and engineering course pathways. Having a bunch of running start credits on your transcript may or may not match into those requirements so while UW might take the credits, the school of engineering won't use them towards meeting their own internal requirements. And if you are bound for any competitive private school or out of state university whether any running start credits will count for anything is really hit and miss and most probably a miss for any type of competitive private university like Stanford or USC or Reed College or Harvard or whatever.

The other more traditional route for earning college credit in HS is through AP classes which also have their issues. But they are more universally accepted across the nation because schools on the east coast know what AP grades mean and what AP curriculum involves. Some schools also use the number of AP courses taken as part of their admissions criteria. So going the running start route instead of taking traditional AP classes could jeopardize one's chance for acceptance into many schools that weight AP classes in their admissions criteria.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:08 PM

Yes, guide your kids for what best suits them and their objectives. (realizing they may not know that YET). Mine were very apprehensive about RS, but later VERY thankful! of the quality of EDU they got in RS. Absolutely NO comparison to 'I'll-just-sit-here-until-you-tell-me-every-move-to-make' HS. (I hire kids for my farm / businesses; MANY kids (daily) (if public schooled!))

Be SMART (educated and diligent) about anything you purpose to do...(and spend your time to accomplish)
Quote:
I think all Washington 4-year universities are supposed to take running start credits
ANY RS 'qualified' student can take 15 CR hrs / term!

You can get 100% acceptance of RS credits (depending on your major whether these will complete your full jr status, but usually they will (many friends have done engineer / pre-med, pre-law at full JR status.), and University bound students should do a "Contract" transfer from RS to a PNW college.

Acceptance in U can be really EZ when you have an AA (who needs a HS Diploma, if you have a higher degree? (HS 'diploma' is also available from RS if you want one for any reason ).

Direct Transfer Agreements (DTA) with all community colleges in Washington and Oregon and with specific community colleges in Idaho and Montana. (In Oregon, the agreement is called an Associate of Arts Oregon Transfer, or AAOT.)

AP is very mixed bag, perfect for some... but very 'busy-work' centric (A 'retired' cousin drafted programs during the 'growth yrs' of AP and still consults with international AP programs around the globe). Many schools are now dropping AP (for many reasons).

https://blog.prepscholar.com/history...-classes-exams

AP is NOT college, and really not much like college, nor does it prepare students for college.

Parents prepare kids for college (after pre-school years).

DisclaimerI am NO LONGER a PS teacher, but still donate LOTS of hours and lots of dough to PS, as do most my ex-(and current) teacher friends and their kids )

I am now high tech centric and 80% of my coworkers kids do / did RS. (as do 50+% of the kids in my church Youth group)

Education is one of my 'hobbies' and generations of teachers in my family (as well as self and spouse) (all who homeschooled while also teaching in PS).

I enjoy / need to work with education systems in my international work / hiring / technical knowledge transfer / high tech start-up international assignments and still engage actively in Singapore and western Europe EDU activities (as done last week, and next month).

By all means do what is right. (and SMART)

Expect a LOT of opposition from PS system. (their specialty!)
Hopefully it will not decline your EDU opportunities for your family. (which are vast).

Old 03-22-2018, 05:28 PM

467 posts, read 527,184 times
I agree whole heartedly with texasdiver on this topic. Every families circumstances are different, but there is no way my kids would have been happy being off campus in high school. My oldest took 5 AP classes his senior year and did well in all the exams. If he had stayed in state (Montana),all would have been fine. However, he was offered lots of money at several private colleges/universities. He chose to go to Lewis and Clark. I do believe his AP credits were accepted, but not counted as part of requirements for graduation. Therefore, he graduated with lots of credits, but it still took the traditional 4 years. Between his loans, financial aid and jobs, I think he probably cost us less than the others. Since there are 5 “others” and 5 were in college at one time, my mind is a bit blurred at how it all came out. The other kids who also took AP courses in HS did not get out of college any earlier than the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area