Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 10:42 AM

8,219 posts, read 16,718,367 times

Advertisements

This topic has come up in other threads. Instead of derailing the others, I thought I created a new one.

In your opinion, what are some of the pros/cons in building a new home in the area rather than buying one prebuilt?

In the general sense I think certain benefits are obvious like one gets to build the house 'they' want/dream off.

The cons may not be so obvious though not too hard to imagine. Four primary ones I can think of are:
1. Available locations/lots - closer in to things vs. a bit further out
2. Higher overall cost compared to purchasing an existing home. This probably varies based on level of customization, local building/permit/inspection costs, distance from existing power, water, sewer, etc...
3. Time to build. There are logistics and associated expenses in living in one home while building another.
4. Unforeseen problems, delays, costs, unavailable 'good' help

Given some of complications in building I would think most simply choose to buy existing homes. Though ultimately the custom home may be more enjoyable in the long run.

Thanks for any thoughts or local insights you may have.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 03-16-2018 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 01:22 PM

5,455 posts, read 7,759,493 times
I think you pretty well summarized the pros and cons.

There is a middle ground approach which is the "fixer-upper" remodeling option. Find a house with a great location that has good bones and remodel it up to your specifications.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I think you pretty well summarized the pros and cons.

There is a middle ground approach which is the "fixer-upper" remodeling option. Find a house with a great location that has good bones and remodel it up to your specifications.
I don't know about in Vancouver, but this very common in the higher end coastal areas I've lived in. Why? It mainly has to do with workarounds to the tax codes in CA. Many will buy old 'scraper' beach cottages and demo all but one wall. Then they basically build a much larger more modern home. Because of the 'existing structure' they can claim lower tax rate rates vs. a new home from scratch.

I realize there are many levels of remodel between this extreme vs. minor touch ups. The home we purchased in CO was relatively new on a larger lot with worn out flooring, trashed carpets mostly. We replaced the old carpet with cherry wood floors which made a huge difference in overall appeal. Though certainly not major work. This also helped it stand out from other homes in the subdivision allowing it sell very quickly (5 days) once it came time to move.

Derek

Old 03-16-2018, 06:27 PM

147 posts, read 151,150 times
The biggest problem you'll have right now is simply finding an available good builder. The good ones are really busy right now.

Lots are available farther out but we've kept an eye open for something in Camas for the last two years and they're either too expensive (The Parklands development which is selling lots for custom builds), on a steep hill, or too far out for us. I can't remember if you've posted a budget but anything available close-in that isn't a crummy lot is pricey. Up on Livingston Mtn you can still buy a nice lot or out in Hockinson, Battleground, and probably Ridgefield.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy2017 View Post
The biggest problem you'll have right now is simply finding an available good builder. The good ones are really busy right now.

Lots are available farther out but we've kept an eye open for something in Camas for the last two years and they're either too expensive (The Parklands development which is selling lots for custom builds), on a steep hill, or too far out for us. I can't remember if you've posted a budget but anything available close-in that isn't a crummy lot is pricey. Up on Livingston Mtn you can still buy a nice lot or out in Hockinson, Battleground, and probably Ridgefield.
Yes, I had a feeling location would be an issue. At this life stage with kids at home and lots of activities (sports, music lessons, community college, etc...), we'll probably want to be closer in to things. My job also requires fast, reliable internet. Once they move out of the house we may consider living further out.

Price of course is another big consideration. Its not like we have unlimited $$ to buy the most expensive place. One of the reasons we're moving to WA is for more affordability. Basically we're looking for something around $500k range give or take.

I would think building a custom home would be much more expensive including more risks due to unforeseen costs.

Derek

Old 03-16-2018, 08:01 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,578,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Basically we're looking for something around $500k range give or take.
You absolutely should be buying prebuilt at this price range. Unless you have a very large budget, GCs and builders aren't going to be interested at this price point -- at least not right now, when building is gangbusters all over the West coast, from southern California to British Columbia, Canada. In this market, anyone with a sub seven-figure custom home budget is just another piker who'll get sky-high bids, minimal attention, and no one will give a damn if your job goes off the rails. They'll abandon your project and on to the next; they won't care.

You'll get more for your money in this price range when you can buy a structure that was erected with many others in a development, where the underlying land purchase, utility runs, similar specs, bulk materials and pricing, and labor contracts for the entire project = significant cost savings. A one-off on your custom lot gets none of these cost reductions. And, even if you realistically budget a project at $500k, better have at least another $100k in reserve for unforeseen costs and problems. A water problem, settling and foundation issues, slope remediation, or myriad other heavy construction issues can swell to tens of thousands of dollars very quickly. And, if you even think there could be a zoning/permit/environmental issue on your chosen lot? Better increase that emergency reserve to $150k, maybe even $200k; the zoning and environmental regulations are a strong anvil against which they will hammer your project (though this is based on my experiences in California, not Washington).

Old 03-16-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
You absolutely should be buying prebuilt at this price range. Unless you have a very large budget, GCs and builders aren't going to be interested at this price point -- at least not right now, when building is gangbusters all over the West coast, from southern California to British Columbia, Canada. In this market, anyone with a sub seven-figure custom home budget is just another piker who'll get sky-high bids, minimal attention, and no one will give a damn if your job goes off the rails. They'll abandon your project and on to the next; they won't care.

You'll get more for your money in this price range when you can buy a structure that was erected with many others in a development, where the underlying land purchase, utility runs, similar specs, bulk materials and pricing, and labor contracts for the entire project = significant cost savings. A one-off on your custom lot gets none of these cost reductions. And, even if you realistically budget a project at $500k, better have at least another $100k in reserve for unforeseen costs and problems. A water problem, settling and foundation issues, slope remediation, or myriad other heavy construction issues can swell to tens of thousands of dollars very quickly. And, if you even think there could be a zoning/permit/environmental issue on your chosen lot? Better increase that emergency reserve to $150k, maybe even $200k; the zoning and environmental regulations are a strong anvil against which they will hammer your project (though this is based on my experiences in California, not Washington).
Yes, this makes sense. I know what you mean about the west coast boom right now living in CA. Its hard to find anyone available to do 'good' work. Even though land is more affordable in WA on a relative scale, I can imagine construction costs are still pretty high. We also don't mind buying in a subdivision. Sure, custom homes are ideal. But as you mention there are many saving associated with buying prebuilt.

Almost all the homes are custom where we live now in a high end coastal community. But they are also 7 figures which completely blow out our budget. Thus we can't afford to buy anything remotely close to what our family needs in terms of location and size here. But man some of the homes are gorgeous if $$ was no object with views like this.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 03-16-2018 at 09:08 PM..

Old 03-16-2018, 11:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,755 posts, read 58,140,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
... We also don't mind buying in a subdivision. ..$$ was no object with views like this.
Building a custom home in a subdivision is a real waste of time and $ unless you are gonna enjoy it enough to die there. Or if it has a killer view (possible).

Seems evident that you enjoy CA.

I certainly wouldn't consider relinquishing yourself or your family to a 'primary indoor' 'suburbia' PNW life. I think it would be very disappointing.

Life is VERY short. Do what is 'most' right for your family!

If you have the bucks, enjoy your CA life and let your kids do so as well! (much to be grateful for there!)

Sequestered in PNW and driving for EVERYTHING (with your wipers and lights on) is just not the same as bopping over to the coast for sunset (whenever you feel like it).

As mentioned on PHC... "Seattle kids are lucky to see a clear winter day view of Mt Rainier by the time they reach puberty. " Not so far from the truth..

Can be nice 'occasionally'. (but you will probably have something to interrupt that day...)

My kids were very outdoorsy, lettered in sports, and taught skiing and golf, but...in the PNW, that is very sad (unless you like being very WET!) Mine survived, but I often think of what they could have been / enjoyed in MT, ID, CO. (everyday!)

Our year on a Canadian 'Gulf' Island was adventurous (sailing and kayaking daily). But a yr was enough (for me, and them). (wet)

Enjoy what you have available, augment as possible. A few yrs and POOF the kids are GONE (and you will be GONE shortly afterward!)! Only the memories survive. Make great memories. (enjoy your sunsets!)

Old 03-17-2018, 10:33 AM

StealthRabbit,

We have been considering the pros/cons. No place is perfect that's for sure including CA. Nothing could have beaten our kids' opportunity to grow up here in Monterey. The area is really awesome and we all realize that. We're simply entering a new life stage at this point. COL has grown too high here for us. So its time for a change. The PNW meets the majority of what we're looking for. We've already lived in CO and its not for us though we do enjoy the Rockies. Different strokes I guess.

I think there is still a lot we can do outdoors in WA year round even in the rain. We've visited quite a few times and managed to get out and enjoy things even when wet. We look at it as an adventure. There's no real downside for us since I can live where ever I want with my job. We can always move somewhere new if we really dislike it. Rather than that we'll probably about snowbird on occasion for a break from the rain.

Derek

Old 03-18-2018, 09:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,755 posts, read 58,140,793 times
Well, since you are into water sports and nice water views... make access to that a priority.

The PNW has a lot to offer (and in some places lower CoL. (lower Columbia River)).

but... with family near college age, Bellingham / Birch Bay is tough to beat.

Vancouver, Mt Baker, Whistler, daily sea kayaking, Community Colleges, trade schools, WWU, and ... Edaleen Dairy!
https://www.edaleendairy.com/

Canada is really nice to have close, especially if you like the outdoors. (camping, skiing....)

But as you say, no place is perfect...

I grew up in CO, DS in southern CA. we 'sun-seek' each location monthly, but never intend to move back. (nor to stay in PNW / or even the USA)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area