Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2006, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 14,702 times

Advertisements

Hello?

I am looking for some advice about Vancouver WA and was wandering if anyone out there could help. I am moving to Vancouver WA in a couple of months to set up home with my wife to be. The thing is I dont know much about the place or in fact America itself as I have lived in Scotland all my life.
If anyone can give me any pointers regarding standard of living, employment prospects etc, I am currently employed on an PC Helpdesk, then I would be very grateful and if anyone ever though about relocating to Scotland I will be happy to provide you with any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2006, 05:21 PM

148 posts, read 1,229,033 times
Vancouver is great; a very well balanced city. Very suburban, close to Portland, very low crime. Properties prices have been climbing high as of late, but they're still a great deal. Most people prefer living in Camas Washougal and Battle Creek, all towns surrounding Vancouver all better for families. The expensive properties are all along the Columbia River and the less expensive places are along I-5. The schools in the area are great to excellent. Lots of businesses, both large and small. Vancouver's also got some of the best deals on NICE condos anywhere in WA.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 35,684 times
We are also moving to the Vancouver area (Washougal). In a little over two weeks.

Camas and Washougal are east of Vancouver and Battle Ground, Yacolt, and La Center are a few north of Vancouver.

Washougal has a good public school system.

As Ryan said, the Camas and Washougal area property is going up in price so if you're looking at keeping your costs low, you might want to look north where it's still less expensive to buy and rent.

Vancouver has Hewlett Packard, Nautaulis (sp?), and quite a few other companies there for employment opportunities. I could give you a better list once we're down there.

How exciting to be coming from Scotland! I have a pretty good group of friends and contacts in the Vancouver area, so would be able to help you find information on just about anything!

Old 05-11-2006, 06:11 PM

4 posts, read 36,216 times
Smile Vancouver

I live in Vancouver, WA. I have lived here for 32 years. I truly love the area.
There is solid economic growth to support the population growth of the county (Clark). There is also substantial employment opportunity in Portland, Oregon, which is immediately south, just across the Columbia river.
Culture is primarily "suburbia", with a conservative geist.
Portland, on the other hand, is very liberal. You get the best of both worlds!
High-tech industry seems to be growing well, but not like in California, or in Portland (home to a major Intel campus).
I live here with my family and we attend a Presbyterian church in Portland.
(www.intownpres.org (broken link) )

Old 03-07-2011, 10:21 AM

34 posts, read 243,051 times
Default Moving to Vancouver

I've just been offered a job for 42k a year in Vancouver. I am single. Kids out of the house. Can one live ok on that wage in Vancouver? Any night life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area