Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:45 PM

550 posts, read 3,265,644 times

Advertisements

Just to add my $.02, I'm in total agreement with janb. As usual, he/she/it/they nailed it right on the head.

I was raised very near the Camas/Washougal area. For the most part, the towns are fairly evenly matched with advantages and disadvantages, though each town has very different ones. Camas has significantly better schools, but those in Washougal aren't awful, at all. Camas properties are also significantly more expensive than similar homes located in Washougal. Washougal is closer to the areas I adore such as the Columbia River gorge scenic area, the Gifford Pinchot National Forrest, and Beacon Rock State Park. However, Camas is a little closer to commutes going into Portland and Vancouver.

Really, if you live in one town, it's kind of like you live in both. They're both still fairly small communities where many of the locals know each other or each other's families, friends, teachers, etc. Most of the town events (in either Camas or Washougal) are attended by residents of both cities.

The biggest divisive events are usually the annual Camas vs. Washougal football games. Other than that, it's like living in one town. As a matter of fact, most of the locals joke about combining the two and either calling it Camougal or Washas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watkins911 View Post
ALSO IF THERE ARE CERTAIN AREAS IN EITHER OF THESE TOWNS THAT WOULD NOT BE SAFE TO LIVE IN WOULD APPRECIATE THE HEADS UP.

LISA
You'll find that the crime in Camas/Washougal is freakishly low. Both towns have excellent police departments. There will always be crime anywhere there are people, but it is less in these two communities than others nearby. Also, you can usually tell just by being in a neighborhood for a little while if it's a bit skeevy.

Here's a link to an article with crime stats for several Clark County towns: Columbian.com - Crime Watch (http://www.columbian.com/news/crime/crimestatistics2006.cfm - broken link)

City......................Crimes per 1,000 people
Portland..........................30.9
Vancouver.......................23.7
Battle Ground...................17.6
Camas............................16.2
Washougal.......................15.7
Ridgefield.........................13.8
La Center...........................4.3

Last edited by diggitydot; 10-23-2007 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: Wonky spelling.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 18,840 times
I do have to say that the real estate broker is right. I work in camas and live in oregon. The drive to portland is about 30-35min. I was looking arround for place to move and Prun Hill was the place I like. Just take the Exit 10 and you dont have to go through the paper mill. "Dear Creek" nbhood has resonable prices and nice homes build by DR Horton. Ther is a lots of new subdivisions around it and they are building very nice homes that normally will increase value of homes in the area! I like the schools so close and walking paths. Yes maby Camas is more expensive but it will grow faster.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 7,581 times
Default Washougal is a great place overall----

I moved to washougal about 4 yrs ago and love it-----good ole folks- small town feel- great motocross track- columbia river boat ramp 5 mins away--my house was very affordable but in one of the newer sub-divs so its only 10 yrs old, and appreciated almost $100k in 3 yrs----- shopping is ok but we're only 10 mins away from snob-ville fishers landing area and its good shopping-and i only have to deal with the bmw/volvo driving rude-snobby cut you off in as hearbeat chumps over there for a minute or two. Mind you, I make almost 100k and have a mercedes convert, explorer, etc, but if you need to get into traffic, or change lanes-i let you in, and treasure your thanks wave or smile. I'm so happy i didnt buy in fishers its unreal-everytime i go there someone is just "i'm in such a rush and you're in MY way rude"......... too bad for them.
Anyhow- camas vs. washougal- hard to say- some nice places outside either citys center area-
word of warning--------25 mph speed limit is enforced! I got a 32mph ticket {i have ridden bicycles faster 15 yrs ago} right after moving here-

Last edited by tomalia1; 01-23-2008 at 09:46 PM..

Old 01-23-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomalia1 View Post
word of warning--------25 mph speed limit is enforced! I got a 32mph ticket {i have ridden bicycles faster 15 yrs ago} right after moving here-
Yep, this is VERY accurate for either Camas or Washougal. Both communities have very active police forces and don't hesitate to pull over speeders. They'll usually give you a couple miles-per-hour leeway, but that's about it. Particularly on NE 3rd in Camas, which turns into "E" Street in Washougal.

But, the cops in both towns are pretty great. Some of the nicest people around. One of the local cops was even voted into public office with something near 75% of the vote. Obviously, the guy is very well liked and respected.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:58 PM

26 posts, read 89,520 times
I am a real estate agent that moved to Washougal 2 years ago and I love it! My husband commutes to Hillsboro every day with NO problems. Just like any rural area, for shopping and such, you plan your trips into town. Once you have been here a while, you will find that you can get anything you need within 15 minutes, yet it still has the small town feel where everyone knows each other and neighbors enjoy each other. Plus, it is beautiful....trees, rivers, wildlife, parks, walking trails... and only 30 minutes from Portland! It is a great compromise. I can't imagine living anywhere else.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:00 PM

26 posts, read 89,520 times
FYI-I moved my kids here from Hockinson... which supposedly was one of the top 3 schools in Washington for years... and they are now both straight A students. My oldest was really struggling in Hockinson because of religious tension and narrow minded people. I think the schools are fabulous in Washougal and the teachers even better. I'm so glad we moved!

Old 01-26-2008, 04:48 PM

123 posts, read 747,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
My husband commutes from Camas (Holly Hills area) to Portland (PDX) and his commute takes 21-32 minutes each way. We live near Grass Valley Park and it feels extremely safe here. And I've never smelled any paper mill odor, either, except when I drove into downtown Camas literally right next to the mill.
Wow. You might want to consult an ENT doctor. There is a reason they call it the "smell of money" in Camas. The paper mill reeks. You can't help but smell it for miles.

Washougal is ok, but kind of run down and white trash. I would suggest Vancouver or Battle Ground, or at least one of the new in between areas between Camas and Vancouver.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 15,701 times
Not sure where ulsterscot is coming from on this thread. I just spent a week in the Washougal area looking at housing, and very much disagree with the comments - especially about white trash.

If you want to know about the local folks you spend some time in the local grocery. The Safeway there sure wasn't loaded with 'trashy' people - just some friendly normal people.

As for run down, well, there are parts of town that are in need of help, but there are also several dozens of homes listed for over 300K - hardly white trash prices. Even the older areas are showing signs of new refurbishment.

Smell ?? Yep, once for a few minutes on HWY 14 passing near the mill location. Maybe for a mile or two. Guess I had a good week.

I will be back in Washougal soon for further 'looking' - I like the place!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:33 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,758 times
Ulsterscot, my sense of smell is fine. We live on the west side of Camas near Grass Valley Park and the Fisher's Landing area of Vancouver, and no one I know in this area thinks the paper mill smell is a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area