Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:50 PM

29 posts, read 161,895 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to get my husband to move from Memphis, TN for years. He has had contract work for the past few years and again, the door has opened for the possibility of moving. This time, there is a job in Vancouver, WA that interests him. It seems like a place that my family could live and be happy. This is one of the nicest forums I have ever visited on this site. I can't glean any negatives about living here. Really.

I am trying to get a sense of the place, both positive and negative. If we move, I don't want to be surprised about anything ... so I hope no one gets offended if I ask what drawbacks there are about living in Vancouver. What is it that you don't like about living in Vancouver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 12:50 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,475 times
The biggest change you'll have to deal with is the climate. The good points are, it doesn't get hot and humid the way you're used to, and snow is rare. We don't even get many thunderstorms.

The downside is that the weather is overcast, gray, cloudy, drizzly and rainy from October thru June. Not 24/7, of course, there is usually some sunshine most weeks - but there are weeks when you really don't see the sun much at all. Add the fact that we're a lot farther north, which means that around the winter solstice the sun comes up about 8am and is going down at 4pm.

Some people thrive in this climate, but others simply can't cope with it. Look up Seasonal Affective Disorder; that drives some people away from this area.

The other thing that may surprise you - you're coming from Memphis, which has a large African-American population. The Portland/Vancouver area is the whitest big city in America. African-Americans are much more rare here. We have many more people from Latin America and Asia than you may be used to; a dark-skinned face in Portland is likelier to be Mexican or Indian than African.

Other than that, the negatives specifically about Vancouver are that it's a generic suburb, that all the action is in Portland; that commuting to Portland is a pain because there are only two bridges; and that if you work in Portland you have to pay Oregon income tax even if you live in Vancouver.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:31 AM

5 posts, read 57,998 times
Rob Allen is 100% correct. Here are other reasons I don't like it and am looking to move elsewhere. Of course, it all depends on your personal tastes and needs. Vantucky doesn't fit my tastes or needs in any way, but most everyone else I contact is content here.

The people fit the climate. They're boring, cold, and stay sequestered in their suburban homes to escape the weather. I love to mingle and have fit in everywhere else I've lived but not here.

Too much big government in your business all the time, and the people scream for more. If you're a political independent then STAY AWAY from the left coast.

While Portland relishes small, independent & funky businesses, Vantuckians want the opposite despite what they say. My bad for opening one of those interesting places without understanding that first. I suppose that's only a problem if you either want to live around those places or are a business owner yourself.

Property crime is actually worse than reported. I've been victimized more here in one year than the rest of my life combined. The more I research it the more I find crimes that do not appear on the maps. I'm checking into why with the local authorities.

So I guess if you are looking for a generic, vanilla suburb to remain anonymous in, Vantucky is for you.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:26 PM

After posting I asked my business neighbor (who was raised here and has nothing bad to say) how she would describe Vancouver. After thinking for a few minutes she finally said, "I can't describe Vancouver. Why would I want to say something about a bunch of nothing?"

That says it all.

And if you want to do something besides hide out at home yourself, it will be challenging. Jobs and activities are scarce in my experience...

Old 09-02-2011, 02:10 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,498,398 times
Hmmm...well we moved here from Nashville and I'll take it here any day. All of the things that Vantucky Sux mentions have not really applied to our experience here at all. Yes, its quiet and a little sleepy but we're out all the time with our neighborhood and community. And Portland is just down the road. As for crime of any kind...ummm...compared to Memphis you'll feel like you woke up in Mayberry

Negatives. The rain lasts a long time, summer comes around the 4th of July and last about 2 months. Taxes, utilities, food, gas, everything costs more. It is very much a "blue state" so if passing bonds to build bike lanes gives you hives, it may irritate you.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:28 PM

Oh yeah, another thing.

The regional northwest food food is AWFUL. Bland, bland, bland.

Today I finally figured out why. They don't know how to use seasonings, including salt or pepper. All Vantucky has is Mexican with a few Chinese buffets. Portland is better, but still the regional cuisine is worth avoiding. It's rough on a foodie like me. And it's all expensive.

Sorry, I just wasted $20 on another terrible lunch!

Old 09-02-2011, 02:44 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VantuckySux View Post
Oh yeah, another thing.

The regional northwest food food is AWFUL. Bland, bland, bland.

Today I finally figured out why. They don't know how to use seasonings, including salt or pepper. All Vantucky has is Mexican with a few Chinese buffets. Portland is better, but still the regional cuisine is worth avoiding. It's rough on a foodie like me. And it's all expensive.

Sorry, I just wasted $20 on another terrible lunch!
Nope... that's just Vancouver. Seattle's got better food. I was really disappointed in Root's, which from what I understand is one of their (Vancouver's) top/better restaurants.

My husband grew up in Vancouver. He never liked the huge WSP presence and claims all the judges in Vancouver are probably the most corrupted in the PNW. They even have a website dedicated to this. The City Council has a complex.

He did like most of the people he knew from there. Majority of them were also the type of people who simply stayed in town and never really venture out anywhere. PDX is the "big city" there. One of the running jokes for those HS graduating Seniors were: "I'm going to UNLV." (University of Never Leaving Vancouver".)

Vancouver has really grown the last 10 years, my husband almost doesn't recognize it. He'll never move back there... Predominantly because the rest of his family still lives there and ultimately Vancouver/PDX is too small-town (in the negative sense) for our taste.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
I'm with hml1976. Vancouver has been good to me the last 28+ yrs. I do have some issues with the county planning / assessment ...

There are plenty of great places to eat out, plenty of groups to 'meet-up', large variety of affordable groceries, and ez access to recreation, medical, education, culture.

I cook at home predominantly, I do not have a taste for 'culinary delights'. Ate @ ROOT'S ONCE, as well as Tommy-O's. Some folks like them, so I don't complain, I just go elsewhere. (Usually 'Ringside' on Portland for $2.25 steak bites @ happy hour. Doesn't take much to please me. I'm sure eating at CC Vocational Skills Center would be a BIG night out for me.

The worst thing about Vancouver would probably be, trying to make it as a restaurant or in retail. I'm not attracted to either .

There are good and bad areas of Vancouver, but none that are terrible. (IMHO, YMMV)
Search this forum for particulars and neighborhood recommendations. (how many are there of you?, Need Schools?, Jobs, Medical....

Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 PM

29 posts, read 161,895 times
Okay. Nothing that bothers me too much so far except the weather. Weather is a concern, but I'm originally from Toronto, where I grew up with long, cold winters. I think mostly, I will be glad to get away from Memphis.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:53 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,498,398 times
Wow szeyamo...the world is a small place, I'm originally from Toronto too.

I'm wondering what the chances of two people from Toronto being relocated from TN to Vancouver, WA...pretty low I'd think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area