Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:22 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,560,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
You're probably right, and maybe they have tightened up on the costs of agency nursing. But is someone coming to this country for just a few months likely to find a secure position? There must be healthcare message boards who could answer that question, before asking vague questions about nice small towns in a country of 60 million people, where healthcare is based around larger towns and cities. I think the OP is going to need a better plan than that. But if we're talking about nice small towns, then I say go west. South west to be precise.
Well unless they are exempt for some reason ie a UK citizen then they would need a visa, and they won't get one for an agency postition. I agree that they would find it hard to get a permanent one for a few months, unless they don't tell!

The could try allnurses.com for info re agency and jobs visas.

Wonder where the OP went?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 01:22 PM

16,759 posts, read 17,529,149 times
I sometimes wonder if we end up talking to ourselves.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:27 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,560,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I sometimes wonder if we end up talking to ourselves.
Oh all the time!

Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,331,671 times
In my quieter moments I quite fancy the idea of living in New Jersey, North Dakota, or West Virginia. Haven't told my wife yet, but might pop over to their forums asking for details of nice towns to live in those areas, and employment prospects (for her indoors, who doesn't know we're going yet), and leisure activities, and local housing prospects. Once posted I will contribute nothing to refine my search, and will never say anything else on the matter.

Just once it would be nice if someone came back and told us they had made the move and how it was going. Might even offer to meet up for a beer.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:46 AM

8,825 posts, read 7,351,264 times
I agree Hengist. I think many times people are unsure what to do and are just fishing for opinions and compare results to questions from different towns/places or are just dreaming of making a move, knowing that it'll never happen... Then again, I don't think you should really expect anything on this forum, that way you don't get disappointed

Old 05-11-2010, 03:07 PM

102 posts, read 127,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomdido View Post
Hi, Ignore the negative tone of previous posters. There are plenty of football clubs that you can buy for £20,000. If your wife is a nurse, she is guaranteed a job over here and can become a Member of parlaiment once she has an address in the UK. As soon as you are resident in the UK, you can claim our relocation grant. You will not need to work unless you want to have a very big house and several cars. Education is top notch and your children will be guaranteed a place at one of our best schools. They will be able to come home in holidays.

I would suggest somewhere around Northampton where houses can be bought for a trifle and it is right on the M1 which will get you to London in 1 hour.
How much is a trifle?

Old 05-11-2010, 03:13 PM

102 posts, read 127,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
In my quieter moments I quite fancy the idea of living in New Jersey, North Dakota, or West Virginia. Haven't told my wife yet, but might pop over to their forums asking for details of nice towns to live in those areas, and employment prospects (for her indoors, who doesn't know we're going yet), and leisure activities, and local housing prospects. Once posted I will contribute nothing to refine my search, and will never say anything else on the matter.

Just once it would be nice if someone came back and told us they had made the move and how it was going. Might even offer to meet up for a beer.
You don't want to live in New Jersey or West Virginia, and North Dakota is very cold in winter. Killer cold -20F cold plus (or minus) windchill.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:09 AM

Lived in New Jersey for a few months as a child, and made a small fortune shovelling snow. Think I'd die of boredom in rural North Dakota. West Virginia still appeals, but like most dreamers here, I'll never act on it.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:42 AM

16,759 posts, read 17,529,149 times
Looks like we're still talking to ourselves.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:27 PM

I sometimes wonder what type of person is attracted to a forum where you can talk about your country, and be an authority on it for those seeking information. I may be going out on a limb by suggesting that's why there are so many Scots here; a self aware nation where people have thought long and hard about identity. But like you say, we're still talking to ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom