Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2023, 01:30 PM

2,331 posts, read 844,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
Thank goodness, as it makes no sense to Americans and is offensive to many, but I suppose that's the point.

We were at the the Last Night of the Proms in Hyde Park and made friends with an English couple sitting next to us. On the other side were a party of Germans enjoying -- you guessed it -- sausages! They offered some to us, which we declined. Our English friend whispered to us "they're always eating sausages" in a very disapproving tone.

The English and the Germans. Almost as classic as the English and the French.
Bangers (sausages) eggs and mash... a staple food of Brits. Pot calling the kettle black
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 04:14 PM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
Bangers (sausages) eggs and mash... a staple food of Brits. Pot calling the kettle black
To be honest I quite like German food, and German food is under-rated, as is the food in some other European countries outside of France, Italy, Spain, Greece etc.

As for German sausages they boast some 1,200 types of sausages, and although the British enjoy sausages and have quite a few varieties, with more than 400 different kinds of sausage produced in the UK, this is only one third of the number of our Germans sausage gobbling friends.

German Sausage Guide - Michelin

We Brits are partial to a nice slice of cheese, with over 700 named British cheeses produced in the UK.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-01-2023 at 04:31 PM..

Old 08-01-2023, 04:35 PM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
It's an Irish song relating to a boy forced to leave Ireland and live in exile in Australia. Just part of the story of Ireland.

It was the theme song for the Hollywood classic "The Quiet Man" (1951) starring John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara
It's the story of a bushranger criminal who robs people in early colonial Australia, who ends up shooting some police and then dies in the subsequent gunfight, so it's basically some Ned Kelly type of situation.

So pass me the worlds smallest violin.

As for being forced to leave Ireland, criminals from every corner of Britain were sent to penal colonies in Australia and the Irish were not unique in this respect.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-01-2023 at 05:09 PM..

Old 08-01-2023, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It's the story of a bushranger criminal who robs people in early colonial Australia, who ends up shooting some police and then dies in the subsequent gunfight, so it's basically some Ned Kelly type of situation.

So pass me the worlds smallest violin.

As for being forced to leave Ireland, criminals from every corner of Britain were sent to penal colonies in Australia and the Irish were not unique in this respect.
I thought the song came from the Great Potato Famine in the 1840s. Not all those sent to Australia were criminals in any sense of the word. Stealing a loaf of bread or caught in a burglary could get transportation for life. Poverty makes a man do desperate things and the east end of London was rife with poverty. Transportation to New South Wales/ Botany Bay was a convenient way of dealing with the poverty, reducing the population in Newgate prison and re-populating a new colony

Old 08-01-2023, 08:54 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
I thought the song came from the Great Potato Famine in the 1840s. Not all those sent to Australia were criminals in any sense of the word. Stealing a loaf of bread or caught in a burglary could get transportation for life. Poverty makes a man do desperate things and the east end of London was rife with poverty. Transportation to New South Wales/ Botany Bay was a convenient way of dealing with the poverty, reducing the population in Newgate prison and re-populating a new colony
Australian here, I always though the song was Australian, It was right up there with Waltzing Matilda as far as songs you just learnt as kids 40 years ago. Through I really have no knowledge of where it came from and who wrote it originally.

The bushranger era really only began in the 1850's after the Gold was discovered (far more valuable stuff to steal ), Thought there was a trickle of convicts arriving in what was then the Colony of Western Australia up to 1853, it was actually ceased on the east cost the Colony of New South Wales in 1840 (The colony still included Victoria and Queensland at this time). As such Most of the "wild colonial boys" referenced would have been either free settlers from Ireland, or the Australian born children of Irish convicts/immigrants.

As for why the USA, its called America, simply because its the last word in the full formal name of the country, which is how just about every other country in the world is termed.

The Peoples Republic of China.
The Commonwealth of Australia
The Kingdom of Thailand
The United State of America

etc etc

In Australia its quite common to hear the country been referred to as "The Commonwealth" especially when talking matters regarding the federal constitution/federal government and federal law courts.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 08-01-2023 at 09:56 PM..

Old 08-01-2023, 09:08 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
The OP is just instigating a [bleep].
America is fine with me. More polite than calling it "Hey, STUPID!"

Old 08-01-2023, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Australian here, I always though the song was Australian, It was right up there with Waltzing Matilda as far as songs you just learnt as kids 40 years ago. Through I really have no knowledge of where it came from and who wrote it originally.

The bushranger era really only began in the 1850's after the Gold was discovered (far more valuable stuff to steal ), Thought there was a trickle of convicts arriving in what was then the Colony of Western Australia up to 1853, it was actually ceased on the east cost the Colony of New South Wales in 1840 (The colony still included Victoria and Queensland at this time). As such Most of the "wild colonial boys" referenced would have been either free settlers from Ireland, or the Australian born children of Irish convicts/immigrants.

As for why the USA, its called America, simply because its the last word in the full formal name of the country, which is how just about every other country in the world is termed.

The Peoples Republic of China.
The Commonwealth of Australia
The Kingdom of Thailand
The United State of America

etc etc

In Australia its quite common to hear the country been referred to as "The Commonwealth" especially when talking matters regarding the federal constitution/federal government and federal law courts.
I always remember the words of an Aussie soldier in a bar in Singapore years ago

"You Poms got it all wrong. You should have all gone to Australia and left the convicts behind in England"

There really is no other word to substitute for America or an American. Canada comes from an Indian word I think and Mexico probably of Inca origin.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
To be honest I quite like German food, and German food is under-rated, as is the food in some other European countries outside of France, Italy, Spain, Greece etc.

As for German sausages they boast some 1,200 types of sausages, and although the British enjoy sausages and have quite a few varieties, with more than 400 different kinds of sausage produced in the UK, this is only one third of the number of our Germans sausage gobbling friends.

German Sausage Guide - Michelin

We Brits are partial to a nice slice of cheese, with over 700 named British cheeses produced in the UK.
I'm a fan of German and Polish sausages and buy them from a German delicatessen not far from home.

The greatest compliment to British cheese came from a French neighbor of mine when I told him we were off to the UK for a few weeks. He asked me to bring back some Cheddar and Stilton .

That from a Frenchman has to be a genuine compliment indeed.

Old 08-02-2023, 01:45 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
The majority of people in the USA say America to refer to the USA too, plus a big portion of people all over the world. It's not a big deal. The USA is the only country in the Americas (north, central and south) that has "America" as part of its official name, so it is not entirely inaccurate.
I always make this point in response to the question posed by the OP. If there is any one question within the Americas that has a legitimate claim to be referred to as "America" it's the country that has "America" in its name. Also, I was always taught that there is a North America and a South America. Thus, to those who subscribe to those teachings as opposed to just calling both land masses "America," there are technically North Americans and South Americans, not just Americans when referring to people outside of the US.

Old 08-02-2023, 02:55 AM

404 posts, read 433,658 times
I haven't read the whole thread so maybe this has been addressed. But here's a different take. From the British perspective, they knew us collectively as "British America" and after independence as "British North America" (Canada, Bermuda, etc.). All of this, pre-USA times. So shortened...that would be "America". Not unlike "India" when you really stop and think about it. "India" was a collection of rather different states (nations/colonies) until independence. "America", a collection of (their) colonies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom