Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 10:42 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,341 times

Advertisements

This good natured banter reminds me of the Christmas specials between the Germans and the Brits during the 1stWW.

So lets keep it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 04:35 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,240,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
"Field day" is a common idiom on the US side of the pond, LINCOLNSHIRE, so no worries.
Thanks - you never know with these things do you? Better to explain pointlessly I suppose.

By the way - I live in Lincolnshire, but I'm not the man of that pseudonym...

Old 05-27-2008, 07:15 AM

681 posts, read 2,919,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
By the way - I live in Lincolnshire, but I'm not the man of that pseudonym...
Mea Culpa. I was much too fast on the trigger finger, I suppose.

Cheers

Old 05-29-2008, 12:54 PM

20,393 posts, read 20,041,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famenity View Post
This good natured banter reminds me of the Christmas specials between the Germans and the Brits during the 1stWW.

So lets keep it up.
I was thinking the same thing. I was always touched by the stories of the combatants exchanging cigarettes and chocolate and singing carols to each other during the suspension of hostilities.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:48 PM

656 posts, read 2,321,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
But you're all Americans now!

By the way, is the War of 1812 ever discussed?
To some extent, yes. However, history teachers really feel the need to wind up for the American Civil War. If I remember correctly, it was about an hour of class time for me.

Although, I have been to Perry's monument. It's got a great view up top.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,823 times
Default hahaha i love people

lol it seems to me that Americans and British people both dont know.....ok in the u.s we spend about 1 class block possibly 2 talking about the war of 1812 or Korea or Vietnam really why u ask???same reason the british dont talk about the revolutionary war of course it was a major event to the british they lost a land mass 3 times the size of there island all those resources tax everything. we dont talk about 1812 cause we got are asses kicked till the end then we ****ed u up alittle lol....sorry had to.....the british talk about napoleone cause u guys kicked his ass in world war two we ****ed up the germans italians and japan so we like to talk about it it makes us proud but a loss doesnt....so we dont talk about it very much....................i guess what im really trying to say is we ****ed u up then u ****ed us up then we saved u guys and wooped there ass and we got a truce and a loss goin down after that lol each countrys own

Old 04-30-2010, 09:02 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,982,274 times
We were taught about the War of American Independence at school (that is what we called it). It was sandwiched between the Seven Years War and the French Revolution. The teaching focused on the errors made by the British government and the lack of military preparedness in the UK rather than the case for the colonists or the subsequent impact on American history. The main consequences, we were taught, was that Britain turned east towards Asia and India in particular and the readiness of the Royal Navy was much improved ... just in time for the French Revolution and the Napoleonic wars. The USA did not reappear in our history books until 1917.

The 1812 war was barely covered in that it was a fairly insignificant sideshow to the Napoleonic wars. It may have been important for the USA but it was not for the UK.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:20 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,135,847 times
We were taught about our colonization of what is now the US, what the Scottish contribution and UK contribution was etc. Your history is our history.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:17 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,259,401 times
We don't tend to learn much about the negatives in our history (so we leave out masses then!!). I wonder how many Brits have read the declaration of independence? I read it once on my Ipod whilst sitting under the statue of George III in Windsor great park..

Old 05-01-2010, 05:22 PM

681 posts, read 2,919,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthcat1988 View Post
lol it seems to me that Americans and British people both dont know.........................
Thank you for your articulate in-depth analysis. We are fortunate you deigned to enlighten us. Do you also have thoughts as to the meaning of life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom