Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 09:35 PM

9 posts, read 102,837 times

Advertisements

Live in Colorado ...

I recently got laid off - not my doing. I would like to go back to school to get a 2nd degree (Associates in Computer Aided Drafting). Can I go to school full time/part time and get unemployment benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 09:46 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Very possibly. Call Colorado and ask. Often you can attend school and collect benefits under certain circumstances.
Quote:
If you are in school or training through an approved-training program, let us know. You may not need to look for work.

CDLE - Unemp Insurance:State Extended Benefits
Here is an interesting link:

Colorado Enhanced Approved Training Program

Old 12-22-2011, 10:28 PM

9 posts, read 102,837 times
Thanks! I hadn't seen those links before. Looked all over here a few weeks ago.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:34 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Use search function on your state's website - or google your question and you'll find the website link with the answer among the hits. That's how I find most everything for most states. In your case I googled "Colorado attend school collect unemployment benefits."

Old 12-23-2011, 01:37 AM

15 posts, read 54,144 times
from what I'm aware of in CALIFORNIA you can't claim and go to school...because they arent paying you to go to school with your money they are paying you to look for a job. IT'S VERY DUMB

Old 12-23-2011, 09:01 AM

43 posts, read 234,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz6489 View Post
from what I'm aware of in CALIFORNIA you can't claim and go to school...because they arent paying you to go to school with your money they are paying you to look for a job. IT'S VERY DUMB

Well actually you can go to school as long as it does not interfere with you looking for full time work. If you go to school late at night or go to school online but look for work during the day it is legit as long as EDD has an understanding of what you are doing and when. EDD determines the legitimacy of your work search relative to you going to school, not you.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:55 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,061 times
Go to your local workforce center. In Colorado that's who approves schooling/training. Otherwise you will have to stay available for work.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:58 PM

6 posts, read 46,402 times
Well I am a full time student at the University of Phoenix. I am taking online classes for Environmental science. I got laid off 14 weeks ago and applied for unemployment exactly 9 weeks ago. I have not heard anything from unemployment office. It is impossible to call their customer service because apparently there is no customer service. I called 10 times everyday for the past 5 weeks and have not got through. I found it it is now a minimum of 10 weeks to process, not 4-6 as their website says. Misleading information. I will be dammed if I will not get unemployment because I am a student. I already am starving because I was denied food stamps because I am a student.

WTF, Students can't eat? Makes no sense.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:27 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz6489 View Post
This is not true. I went to school, started and completed, a Human Resources Certificate while on unemployment. You just have to either be able and willing to accept full time work each workday (which you certify to on your claim) or you have to be willing to leave school for a job. Obviously the 2nd one is tougher to sell, but with all the courses that you can take online, there is usually not an issue and in fact this is what I told them...said I was going to UoP and that there are ground but also online options and that I was taking classes in the evenings but was able to switch to online if I found a job. Also, there are certain programs in CA that you can go to school and also still qualify for benefits.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:34 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSRAZStuntDriver View Post
Well I am a full time student at the University of Phoenix. I am taking online classes for Environmental science. I got laid off 14 weeks ago and applied for unemployment exactly 9 weeks ago. I have not heard anything from unemployment office. It is impossible to call their customer service because apparently there is no customer service. I called 10 times everyday for the past 5 weeks and have not got through. I found it it is now a minimum of 10 weeks to process, not 4-6 as their website says. Misleading information. I will be dammed if I will not get unemployment because I am a student. I already am starving because I was denied food stamps because I am a student.

WTF, Students can't eat? Makes no sense.
You can get unemployment while a student. I managed it. You are already going to UoP...all you have to do is tell EDD that your school will not interfere with work as you can do the school work literally 24 hours per day. EDD is concerned that you are looking for work and that you will accept work, other than that they don't care what you will do with your time.

As for not hearing in this long, that is weird. It should have taken the 4-6 weeks, and this is including the phone interview. When I was laid off (long story and due to en employer error I had a phone interview) I filed on 2-29, had the phone interview on 3-15 and received my first checks by the end of March and this is with an employer incorrectly stating I quit instead of was laid off so there was an eligibility issue created through VERY different facts from me and my employer and it still took within the 4-6 weeks. Did you receive the notice of claim filed and the determination? Did you get the continued claim forms? Is it possible you were sent info about a phone interview that you did not receive? Have you tried sending them an email to find out what is going on with your claim? As for calling, it takes more than 10 times per day. Getting benefits, especially at the beginning, is a full time job.

Also, while irritating, I advise making a phone call for the initial interview. It gets a better response time when you can tell them they were the ones who made the error. I have noticed that emails in which I mention an issue with how the claim is handled on their end are answered MUCH faster than questions or issues I have. If you file online, you could have missed something. If you talk to someone, they are the ones responsible for getting all the info in the correct spaces. Also, I know in California and I am guessing in other states as well, your claim starts on the Sunday of the week you file, so if you start calling Monday but don;t get anyone until Friday, it still counts like you called at the beginning of the week.

Last edited by thebunny; 05-13-2012 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: Change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment