Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 04:42 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,352,889 times

Advertisements

Curious....for a casual user....why don't more folks embrace Chromebooks ?

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 05:36 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
^^^^^ Although the new M1 Macbook Air isn't quite as portable as either an iPad or a Surface, the above is (generally) one of the reasons I'll replace my new in 2016 Macbook Air with a new M1 Macbook Air before I would consider replacing my new in 2019 12.9 Cellular iPad Pro with a new M1 iPad Pro.
I think the MacBook Air is just as portable as my 12.9 iPad Pro. With the Magic Keyboard, or with the Slim f.olio Pro. It might even be more portable as it is lighter and similar in size. (I never use the iPad Pro without the case on it.)

Old 06-19-2021, 07:57 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Only thing that makes me shy away from the new iPad is the software side of things. I like to dabble in Blender, Resolve, and GIMP. The M1 iPads are powerful enough for my dabbling but, well they can't run any of them. I don't even know if there's iOS equivalents. Maybe Adobe but that's probably $200 a year or something which is rather a lot of money for dabbling here and there when Blender, Resolve, and GIMP are all free. Even if there's stuff available, the learning curve is steep on that kind of software.

As impressive as the hardware is, really the only thing I can see myself having an use for is the XDR display on the 12.9. I'm sure it's absolutely fantastic. The Pro XDR displays are. Not worth the cost at $5,000 to me but amazing displays. Portable 12.9 XDR Display to the right person alone could easily be worth $1,100. But I'm not that person. Since it's running a gimped OS that can't really run anything, the only use is watching videos which, well, it's $1,100 and that's a lot of money just for watching the limited HDR content that's out there. The $420 basic iPad will really do everything else that the 12.9 Pro will do just as well and I can't justify $700 for the screen alone.

As much as I think Apple finally has the hardware dialed in to where a tablet really is all the average person needs in a computing device, they still haven't brought the software side to the party. Perhaps being Apple and having the market share everyone will write iOS versions in the coming years. Seems rather silly though when Apple could just put an actual computer operating system on it and be good to go.
There are several apps for photo editing and publishing for the iPad that cost around $30.00-$100.00. For example, Affinity Photo has an entire suit of apps for the iPad, PC, and Mac. Affinity Photo alone, costs around $20.00, and you don't have to pay monthly fees. Then there are a few more for pro photographers. Affinity Photo just updated to support the new M1 chip new iPads incorporate.

https://www.imore.com/best-photo-editing-apps-ipad

Old 06-19-2021, 09:29 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Curious....for a casual user....why don't more folks embrace Chromebooks ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Chromebooks are so yesterday.

Here is what I do on my IPAD on a almost DAILY basis.

Listen to the radio.

Watch TV.

Check E-mail, and text messages.

Read the Wall Street Journal, Sky and Telescope, NorthWest Fly Fishing. I prefer reading magazines on the IPAD to a hard copy.

Read books and magazines from the library. I would rather read a book on the IPAD. I wish books and magazines had tablet editions that take advantage of a computer.

I file all my manuals for radios, camera's etc. etc. on the IPAD so I can access them when needed.

Listen to my CD's on the IPAD. Now that ITUNES is gone, I need to figure out how to do this AGAIN.

Run cheap astronomy, birding, and other science programs. Don't buy expensive ones!!! They quit working after a couple of years when IOS is updated!!

I have a Canon Camera and can use the IPAD as a monitor that displays the picture I have just taken or the Live View Display.

I take still and video's with it like pickleball matches and play them back for participants.

I download USGS and Forest Service, BLM maps for hiking and hunting. They are geo-referenced so show my location on the map.

I use satellite imagery and download to the tablet.

I have an app that controls my telescope mount. It is much easier than using a hand paddle!!!

Those the primary things I do with the IPAD. I think you can do much of it with a chromebook, but on a lot of days I am outside of internet or even cell service. So the chromebook would not work in those cases, plus it is a lot more difficult to carry outside.

Old 06-19-2021, 10:58 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I think the MacBook Air is just as portable as my 12.9 iPad Pro. With the Magic Keyboard, or with the Slim f.olio Pro. It might even be more portable as it is lighter and similar in size. (I never use the iPad Pro without the case on it.)
Thanks.

That’s good to know.

More indication that what will work best re what’s next for me = an M chip MacBook Air.

One of the things on my Pro/Like list re the M chip MacBook Air is that the power adapter that comes with it/is designed to go with it = only 30 watts.

IIRC, the Belkin USB-C 12v adapter I have is rated to 36 watts, so I’m thinking that should be sufficient to work properly/optimally re charging the M chip MacBook Air.

I’ve never tried to charge my new in 2016 MacBook Air in my car but, irrespective of buying anything else, I’d have to buy at least a 12v inverter with an AC plug (the power adapter has an AC plug, and is 45w) and, with the battery health at 80%.......I’d rather allocate those dollars towards a new M chip MacBook Air instead.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:27 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
I forgot about car charging. I don’t have one for the Air because the battery lasts like 18 hours. I haven’t needed one for the iPad Pro, but it’s battery gets only about 10 hours or so.

Old 06-26-2021, 07:08 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,352,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Chromebooks are so yesterday.

Here is what I do on my IPAD on a almost DAILY basis.

Listen to the radio.

Watch TV.

Check E-mail, and text messages.

Read the Wall Street Journal, Sky and Telescope, NorthWest Fly Fishing. I prefer reading magazines on the IPAD to a hard copy.

Read books and magazines from the library. I would rather read a book on the IPAD. I wish books and magazines had tablet editions that take advantage of a computer.

I file all my manuals for radios, camera's etc. etc. on the IPAD so I can access them when needed.

Listen to my CD's on the IPAD. Now that ITUNES is gone, I need to figure out how to do this AGAIN.

Run cheap astronomy, birding, and other science programs. Don't buy expensive ones!!! They quit working after a couple of years when IOS is updated!!

I have a Canon Camera and can use the IPAD as a monitor that displays the picture I have just taken or the Live View Display.

I take still and video's with it like pickleball matches and play them back for participants.

I download USGS and Forest Service, BLM maps for hiking and hunting. They are geo-referenced so show my location on the map.

I use satellite imagery and download to the tablet.

I have an app that controls my telescope mount. It is much easier than using a hand paddle!!!

Those the primary things I do with the IPAD. I think you can do much of it with a chromebook, but on a lot of days I am outside of internet or even cell service. So the chromebook would not work in those cases, plus it is a lot more difficult to carry outside.
Would you describe yourself as a "casual" user ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-20-2021, 10:55 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

I had a lower end iPad this time last year. The last place it was detected was on a bridge over the James River in Richmond, VA. My guess is that I left it on top of the car, drove off, and it hit the river.

I got a company bonus of about $600 a few months later. I bought a 12.9" iPad Pro to replace the old iPad with the bonus money.

That iPad Pro has completely taken the place of any personal laptop functions. I got a Logitech case/keyboard combo. The keyboard pairs silently over BT while I tilt the iPad into typing position. I do C-D posts from it. Lots of Word and copyedit stuff I do as small side jobs. I play hours of Hearthstone from it weekly.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:30 PM

166 posts, read 96,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I replaced the 11" Pro due to the battery starting to wear down.
Was your battery non-replaceable or just not worth cost? How many years did you get out of it? It seems many tablets have non-replaceable or expensive battery change therefore should the OP consider this in buying a high end tablet? Obviously, I know nothing about them and have only researched whether they're just to be considered "throw-away" due to battery.

Old 07-26-2021, 08:01 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

I had a lower end iPad this time last year. The last place it was detected was on a bridge over the James River in Richmond, VA. My guess is that I left it on top of the car, drove off, and it hit the river.

I got a company bonus of about $600 a few months later. I bought a 12.9" iPad Pro to replace the old iPad with the bonus money.

That iPad Pro has completely taken the place of any personal laptop functions. I got a Logitech case/keyboard combo. The keyboard pairs silently over BT while I tilt the iPad into typing position. I do C-D posts from it. Lots of Word and copyedit stuff I do as small side jobs. I play hours of Hearthstone from it weekly.
Is it the Bluetooth or the port on the left side of the iPad in portrait mode? I have the current generation air. I had the keyboard that paired through the connection. However to keep the keyboard and tablet together was next to impossible. I went with something that does the Bluetooth thing. It kind of works.

I can’t decide whether the next replacement will be an iPad or a MacBook Air with the M1 or whatever the Apple silicone chip of the day will be. The line between the two is becoming more and more blurred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets