Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:41 AM

738 posts, read 1,883,943 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone has any personal experience with children diagnosed with this ailment/mental issue?

Did your situation ever improve? Is there hope?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 10:57 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZEL View Post
Wondering if anyone has any personal experience with children diagnosed with this ailment/mental issue?

Did your situation ever improve? Is there hope?

I'm a professional, not a parent, but yes, there is hope. You need to find a professional who specializes in these issues.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:00 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,059,550 times
Can you tell me about long term prognosis and implications if the parent does not seek help for the child?

My friend's nephew, we believe, has this - but the parenting is so bad, (parent in total denial, and thinks he's a great dad) I don't believe he will ever seek help for the child.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Can you tell me about long term prognosis and implications if the parent does not seek help for the child?

My friend's nephew, we believe, has this - but the parenting is so bad, (parent in total denial, and thinks he's a great dad) I don't believe he will ever seek help for the child.
With any mental illness, the prognosis isn't great without intervention; however, to quote my lovely DSM, "considerable improvement may ocur if an appropriately supportive environemnt is provided. Otherwise, the disorder follows a continous course." In other words, if the child has RAD because they had a bad living environment, but now have a loving, supportive, environment, you will likely see improvement; however, if there is no intervention and they continue to reside in an unhealthy environment, the problems will likely persist.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
I'm a professional, not a parent, but yes, there is hope. You need to find a professional who specializes in these issues.
I am court appointed legal guardian for 12yo female. CPS was never involved. She was abused (physical and mental), raped, neglected, and given up by her bio family. She also has 2 younger brothers, same scenario. She has lived with us since she was 5 1/2 yo.

Went to therapist myself personally when we first had J. and therapist told me: "you have no idea what you are getting your self into. Run." Needless to say J. did not see that therapist. ((I have read many things to get acquainted with the symptoms of RAD- and know what to expect- and she was only diag w/ RAD and ADHD about 3 years ago. So, I was clueless the other 4 years))

Started taking her on a regular basis to therapy when she was 8 thru 10 yo. She was too cunning and manipulative- therapist did play therapy w/ her and told me J. seemed fine and well adjusted.

This child at age 5 to current has done everything imaginable and then some. I have kept documentation on these issues cause they blew me away. Never thought a "child" was capable of doing these types of things.

Steals everything (Stole $30 of mine to give to girls to be her friend. This was 3rd or 4th grade)
Habitual liar (From day one)
Killed our parrot, taught our dogs to fight-$600 vet bill and had to rehome 1 dog in March. Tried to poison 2 of our horses. One got severe colic. Pulled wings off ladybugs and saw nothing wrong with it. (2001-2007)
Terribly hygiene
Fights with me- no respect-
Sexual interests abound-
picks things off ground-eats it and lies about it
Forged my signature on school paper (3rd grade)

The list goes on and on.

Last Sept. she stole our cell phone and would not admit to it, even when shown serial #'s of phone when we bought it. She then went to school the next day and told school officials that we were abusing her by throwing rocks at her and not feeding her. She was 11 and weighed 140lbs- starved????

Anyway, I requested a CFT with her 3rd therapist and after 2 or 3 sessions CFT'S we, the team, decided that she should go into a Therapeutic Foster Group Home. She has been there since Oct 2007. Currently, we have a monthly CFT- family therapy 2x month- weekly therapy at Foster Group Home and she comes for home visits on the weekends (Fri-Sun).

This child is a master at manipulation, I have NEVER- EVER- met anyone like this. everyone thinks she is doing so well. But, I do not. She has only strengthened her ability to make everyone think she is doing better with her anger and her decision making. Expected date to come back home is undecided. Group home says max is 18mo. Group home has 2 adults and 8 other kids, monitoring system at home, valuables are locked up and no one can get away with anything without someone telling the mom or dad.

Since she has been there, she has NO MANNERS- suspended from school at least 5x, caught trying to show affection to another boy at the home, very very loud with her voice now (guess she needs to be heard), 2 d's on report card and I am just about ready for the funny farm. Very very stressful situation for my family.
Everything we taught her in the 7yrs are gone. She seems to recognize what they say to her even though i taught her the same thing years ago. Survival skills are unbelievable.

I raised 2 normal bio children and these RAD kids can't be raised the same way, i know. At this point, I don't know if I can continue-I don't feel or see any hope-

I can not tell you how frustrated i am- how scared i am ((teen years ahead???))
I am at the end. I feel I have no more strength to give because she has zapped everything out of me. I suffer from deep depression. Wonder why??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.......

Old 03-28-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZEL View Post
I am court appointed legal guardian for 12yo female. CPS was never involved. She was abused (physical and mental), raped, neglected, and given up by her bio family. She also has 2 younger brothers, same scenario. She has lived with us since she was 5 1/2 yo.

Went to therapist myself personally when we first had J. and therapist told me: "you have no idea what you are getting your self into. Run." Needless to say J. did not see that therapist. ((I have read many things to get acquainted with the symptoms of RAD- and know what to expect- and she was only diag w/ RAD and ADHD about 3 years ago. So, I was clueless the other 4 years))

Started taking her on a regular basis to therapy when she was 8 thru 10 yo. She was too cunning and manipulative- therapist did play therapy w/ her and told me J. seemed fine and well adjusted.

This child at age 5 to current has done everything imaginable and then some. I have kept documentation on these issues cause they blew me away. Never thought a "child" was capable of doing these types of things.

Steals everything (Stole $30 of mine to give to girls to be her friend. This was 3rd or 4th grade)
Habitual liar (From day one)
Killed our parrot, taught our dogs to fight-$600 vet bill and had to rehome 1 dog in March. Tried to poison 2 of our horses. One got severe colic. Pulled wings off ladybugs and saw nothing wrong with it. (2001-2007)
Terribly hygiene
Fights with me- no respect-
Sexual interests abound-
picks things off ground-eats it and lies about it
Forged my signature on school paper (3rd grade)

The list goes on and on.

Last Sept. she stole our cell phone and would not admit to it, even when shown serial #'s of phone when we bought it. She then went to school the next day and told school officials that we were abusing her by throwing rocks at her and not feeding her. She was 11 and weighed 140lbs- starved????

Anyway, I requested a CFT with her 3rd therapist and after 2 or 3 sessions CFT'S we, the team, decided that she should go into a Therapeutic Foster Group Home. She has been there since Oct 2007. Currently, we have a monthly CFT- family therapy 2x month- weekly therapy at Foster Group Home and she comes for home visits on the weekends (Fri-Sun).

This child is a master at manipulation, I have NEVER- EVER- met anyone like this. everyone thinks she is doing so well. But, I do not. She has only strengthened her ability to make everyone think she is doing better with her anger and her decision making. Expected date to come back home is undecided. Group home says max is 18mo. Group home has 2 adults and 8 other kids, monitoring system at home, valuables are locked up and no one can get away with anything without someone telling the mom or dad.

Since she has been there, she has NO MANNERS- suspended from school at least 5x, caught trying to show affection to another boy at the home, very very loud with her voice now (guess she needs to be heard), 2 d's on report card and I am just about ready for the funny farm. Very very stressful situation for my family.
Everything we taught her in the 7yrs are gone. She seems to recognize what they say to her even though i taught her the same thing years ago. Survival skills are unbelievable.

I raised 2 normal bio children and these RAD kids can't be raised the same way, i know. At this point, I don't know if I can continue-I don't feel or see any hope-

I can not tell you how frustrated i am- how scared i am ((teen years ahead???))
I am at the end. I feel I have no more strength to give because she has zapped everything out of me. I suffer from deep depression. Wonder why??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.......
Have you had another eval done? I sounds like a lot more going on than RAD. I'm so sorry about all of this and think you are doing what you can do. How is the group home working? This sounds exactly like a case I'm evaluating right now (I do forensic evals) and he is in long-term, theraputic group care now and is doing really well.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:00 PM

282 posts, read 1,186,002 times
You should check out this website. Dan Hughes is an expert in this area and does training of professionals and parents who deal with children with RAD. Good luck.

danielahughes

Old 03-31-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaK View Post
You should check out this website. Dan Hughes is an expert in this area and does training of professionals and parents who deal with children with RAD. Good luck.

danielahughes
Thanks very much!!!
I have read his books and he has some wonderful treatment plans.

SMILE

Old 04-05-2008, 08:36 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,270 times
Yeah, I agree with jessegirl.

This kid sounds more like Conduct Disorder to me.

The good news - many conduct disordered kids do not end up with an antisocial personality diagnosis. The bad news - for some kids, the genetic component is pretty strong and it's not clear what can be done. Also, intervention has to be pretty early.

In some ways, all you can do is do the best you can, and hope for the best. A group home sounds like a good idea.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlchick View Post
Yeah, I agree with jessegirl.

This kid sounds more like Conduct Disorder to me.

The good news - many conduct disordered kids do not end up with an antisocial personality diagnosis. The bad news - for some kids, the genetic component is pretty strong and it's not clear what can be done. Also, intervention has to be pretty early.

In some ways, all you can do is do the best you can, and hope for the best. A group home sounds like a good idea.
Thank you!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children