Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:42 PM

6 posts, read 28,662 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're looking to relocate from Western Massachusetts in a few years after our youngest graduates from high school. We've been researching different areas but have not been able to narrow anything down. We keep vacillating between South Carolina & North Carolina so I'm hoping people on this site can help provide information which might save us some time and make things easier. We're planning on a visit in the spring and need an area to focus on for our first trip.

We love where we live now (except for the cold & icy winters) so we are trying to find the same thing, but warmer. We live on the Connecticut River in a small farming town (pop. 4,000) and are nestled in the center of a prominent five college New England area (Smith, UMass, Amherst, Mt. Holyoke, Hampshire...to name the big ones - there are more!). We're somewhat off the beaten path but have many amenities very close by. The town we live in is very conservative but the two college towns on each side of us are very liberal and eclectic. They offer much in culture, arts & entertainment but still have a small town feel.

Here's what we're looking for: A small town with very low crime, either on a lake or river or very close to one. We are into boating and water skiing so have been focusing on the lake areas. We don't want to live too close to hurricane-prone areas but would still like to be somewhat close to the ocean, though this is not critical.

We're looking for a town with a population of between 2,000-10,000 but still be less than an hour away from the nearest huge city. A town with an older downtown area/historic district with older homes would be nice and we need to be within a 15-20 minute drive of a Walmart, K-mart, grocery store or similar stores for basic shopping and within an hour or so of a mall for major shopping.

The price of a decent sized home (1500-2000 sq ft), preferably with some acreage, and runs around the $200,000-$250,000 price range. Everything I am seeing is in a sub-division. Are there any home that are NOT in sub-divisions? We would really like a little more privacy & space.

Lastly, we would like someplace that is dog friendly since we have two Welsh Corgis that are very friendly & active and wouldn't mind making a few friends.

I know I'm asking the impossible but if I can find a town with as many of these things as possible it would be great. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? What are the main difference between the states? Thanks so much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 08:52 PM

41 posts, read 216,572 times
Check out Ashville, Clemson, maybe outside Raliegh-Durham. Or take long winter vacations. You are trying to find a warmer New England which might not be easy to do.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:09 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,569,739 times
I bet you would like Camden, SC. It is close enough to Columbia to have everything you need in a short drive, but it is still a small town with a ton of history. Lake Wateree is nearby, which still has affordable property. As small towns go in South Carolina, Camden is very special and people from all over have vacation homes there because of the sizable horse community.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:18 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
Hi Toobze! I recommend checking into Seneca, Clemson, Central, Pendleton, Walhalla, Liberty, Pickens, Belton, Honea Path, Pelzer, Williamston, Abbeville, and Travelers Rest. There are others, but considering your requests, I think you will find at least one of these towns meets your needs. If you don't mind looking in another state, Hartwell, GA is a nice small town on the lake, but it is a bit of a drive to Anderson, SC and further to Greenville. Many people who love watersports live around Greenville and drive over to the lakes on weekends and holidays. Let us know if you narrow your search any after checking into these places. We will be glad to help answer any additional questions you develop in the future. Good luck in your search!

Old 10-15-2007, 12:24 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Good News! You aren't asking the impossible.

Lake Murray in the midlands of SC is similar to what you've described. Smaller towns where you could be on or near Lake Murray and have everything you named are Chapin, Newberry, & Batesburg. The midlands would put you an hour drive to the beach in Charleston, 2+ to Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head and about the same distance to the mountains. You can get a home in your price range that aren't in subdivisions and be within an hour of Columbia or Lexington (and Aiken if you pick Batesburg).

Old 02-11-2008, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 11,313 times
toobze,
I know this is kind of late from your earlier request, but from the earlier posts you have been given some great towns to investigate.I am a native of SC and the last 2 towns that I have lived in are Camden(10 yrs.) and Newberry(11 yrs.) Both towns can offer you about everything that you are seeking from population, shopping,housing with acreage in your price range,to watersports. Both have lakes that are less than a 30 minute drive.Camden is a little closer to the beach and Newberry a little closer to the mountains.Camden has a excellent Arts Center but not a college or university. Newberry has a small liberal arts college(900 students) supported by the Lutheran Church.Both towns sit 4 miles off a major interstate with easy access.Hope this helps and good luck, Mike

Old 02-11-2008, 02:51 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,866,827 times
From everything you say, I would suggest Clemson. Clemson sits on the upper end of Lake Hartwell (the stadium for the university is on the edge of the lake).

You would be on the lake, the town is small and quaint, good social scene with an educated population, very dog friendly, 30 minute drive to Greenville for major shopping or 1 1/2 hour drive to Atlanta for "everything". Clemson has many new developments with homes in your price range, or beautiful older neighborhoods.

Check it out.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:27 PM

3 posts, read 11,601 times
Default Hi former neighbor

I too am originally from western MA. Chicopee, South Hadley, Granby area. Hated the long dreary winters and thought I'd love to live in the sun shine state of FL. I moved there in '94 and lived there for 11 years and NEVER got used to the heat and humidity. I left there 3 years ago looking for a place in the suburbs with country living but not have to drive an hour to the store. I spent many weekends driving around eastern TN and southwestern NC and could not find anything to suit my wants. Finally, came to Anderson, SC by chance and found everything I was looking for.
I bought a house with 20 acres in the southeastern section of Anderson, near the Belton line. It's 1660sf 3 bedroom/2.5 bath for $137,000. My parents also bought a 5 acre parcel and built a brand new house for under $150,000. I compare Anderson, Clemson, Seneca to Chicopee, Belton, Williamston, Pelzer to Granby, and Williamston, Honea Path to Hadley.
All these are within a short drive to beautiful Lake Hartwell where you can fish, boat, waterski, jet ski, swim, etc.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:27 AM

130 posts, read 266,730 times
Default Avoid these

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Hi Toobze! I recommend checking into Seneca, Clemson, Central, Pendleton, Walhalla, Liberty, Pickens, Belton, Honea Path, Pelzer, Williamston, Abbeville, and Travelers Rest. There are others, but considering your requests, I think you will find at least one of these towns meets your needs. If you don't mind looking in another state, Hartwell, GA is a nice small town on the lake, but it is a bit of a drive to Anderson, SC and further to Greenville. Many people who love watersports live around Greenville and drive over to the lakes on weekends and holidays. Let us know if you narrow your search any after checking into these places. We will be glad to help answer any additional questions you develop in the future. Good luck in your search!
These are not good places to live, especially if you are from the North. Except for Clemson, they are very insular locations. Unless you really, really love Clemson football, would avoid Clemson/Central also.
Belton is an especially poor choice. Very few businesses and ones there are closing. Have to drive 45 minutes for shopping, medical care, etc. Honea Path and Williamston are only slightly better.
Probably good to avoid all of Anderson County.
Most small SC towns are dominated by people who were born or went to school there and others are treated as outsiders. Will let you join organizations so you can do the work and provide money. But not interested in your opinions. Don't even think about running for elective office. Prefer 70+ year old "life time residents," regardless of abilities.
Look at Brevard, Asheville, Hendersonville NC areas. Wish I had.
Good luck.

Last edited by The Cid; 09-24-2010 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-24-2010, 06:56 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,003,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobze View Post
Hi,

We're looking to relocate from Western Massachusetts in a few years after our youngest graduates from high school. We've been researching different areas but have not been able to narrow anything down. We keep vacillating between South Carolina & North Carolina so I'm hoping people on this site can help provide information which might save us some time and make things easier. We're planning on a visit in the spring and need an area to focus on for our first trip.

We love where we live now (except for the cold & icy winters) so we are trying to find the same thing, but warmer. We live on the Connecticut River in a small farming town (pop. 4,000) and are nestled in the center of a prominent five college New England area (Smith, UMass, Amherst, Mt. Holyoke, Hampshire...to name the big ones - there are more!). We're somewhat off the beaten path but have many amenities very close by. The town we live in is very conservative but the two college towns on each side of us are very liberal and eclectic. They offer much in culture, arts & entertainment but still have a small town feel.

Here's what we're looking for: A small town with very low crime, either on a lake or river or very close to one. We are into boating and water skiing so have been focusing on the lake areas. We don't want to live too close to hurricane-prone areas but would still like to be somewhat close to the ocean, though this is not critical.

We're looking for a town with a population of between 2,000-10,000 but still be less than an hour away from the nearest huge city. A town with an older downtown area/historic district with older homes would be nice and we need to be within a 15-20 minute drive of a Walmart, K-mart, grocery store or similar stores for basic shopping and within an hour or so of a mall for major shopping.

The price of a decent sized home (1500-2000 sq ft), preferably with some acreage, and runs around the $200,000-$250,000 price range. Everything I am seeing is in a sub-division. Are there any home that are NOT in sub-divisions? We would really like a little more privacy & space.

Lastly, we would like someplace that is dog friendly since we have two Welsh Corgis that are very friendly & active and wouldn't mind making a few friends.

I know I'm asking the impossible but if I can find a town with as many of these things as possible it would be great. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? What are the main difference between the states? Thanks so much for your time!
I'd suggest checking out the crime stats the FBI publishes via its CJIS division.

I don't think you'll like what you see regarding SC's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina