Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 07:20 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,792 times

Advertisements

Shreveport Times Newspaper --Becoming more "fun" less "newsy"
Well it's finally coming to this: the Shreveport Times newspaper announced today that according to Africa Price, Executive Editor... Big Changes begin in the paper. What changes? More investigative news? More in-depth coverage of newsworthy topics to inform the public? More journalism? Uh....sadly ...no.

The changes referred to were stated in the very first sentence:

"No longer do you have to travel to the back of another section to have the fun things in life."

Basically it goes on to say that starting this week, readers... (guess I'm being generous..just read on) will see comics, games, puzzle and the TV Grid moved to the A Section on Mondays & Tuesdays.

Woo-Hoo!!! Merging the entertainment with the otherwise "news" section. What a great idea!!
BUT WAIT..THERE'S MORE . . . . in addition to moving up all the non-news "fun things" into the main news section....they're going to include "Billy Graham, Annie's Mailbox and Hariette Cole to liven up our main news section."

Here's the link if you're interested:
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...=2013307070025

I wonder if the New York Times is planning a similar move with their crossword ....heck...they may even put it on the front page, above the fold...(which as anyone who reads newspapers knows is reserved for the really...really important stuff...er....like news!!)

As a kid, I was always told to learn to read the news in journals, magazines, newspapers so I would have some tiny grasp of what was happening in the world around me and maybe...just maybe... some will sink in so I'll know how news events affect me and what I can do about it by being better informed. But it seems now that today's local newspapers are all about comics, crosswords, suduko, horoscopes and TV listings.

Sad...sad....sad... with today's news media heading more this way... I can only think one thing: We're all screwed! Not only is my generation but everyone after us is too and they won't even know it as news is being reshaped to resemble info-tainment instead of serious news. A friend of mine who works in media told me he's disgusted with it all and thinks the Times should change their name to THE GOOD TIMES.... let's fluff up the paper to make it easier to get to the "....fun things in life". Yeah....easier...is always better right?

Last edited by BeenThereDunThat; 07-08-2013 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 05:19 AM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Looks like something else we must say good-bye to: a real daily newspaper replete with news and investigative reporting (we haven't had that for years). Oh happy happy joy joy ! I may have to cancel my subscrp and pick up the Minden paper or something.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:05 AM

I would've never thought I'd say this...but for a harder news slant... there's the Inquisitor. Said commentary on the TIMES. The note by Africa Price, Exec. Editor today was that they got more requests for PET NEWS and PET PICS....oh boyeee.... what has this news paper come to?

Old 07-09-2013, 04:49 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
I would've never thought I'd say this...but for a harder news slant... there's the Inquisitor. Said commentary on the TIMES. The note by Africa Price, Exec. Editor today was that they got more requests for PET NEWS and PET PICS....oh boyeee.... what has this news paper come to?
Oh I see this now- it's a conspiracy to get the dog park built!

Old 07-12-2013, 12:47 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
This seems to indicate that there's nothing to report on besides how crappy the "Next Great City of the South" truly is

Old 07-12-2013, 09:00 PM

Not necessarily unrelated but about a year ago The Times reported on the Texas St Neon Bridge being functional with most or all its lights while any idiot with eyes could see that not all the neon was on. Well this week there was a news story about how SPAR is looking at trying to revive the lights on the bridge....and they showed a pic on TV with only a handful of the neon tubes burning... Guess we're too dumb to remember that one.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:07 PM

23 posts, read 144,663 times
Looks like someone's friend is getting a cushy contract for the Neon Bridge, must be some inside track to some incoming grant money. Think maybe Downtown Development Authority and Mr. Wray's ex gal friday might have the skinny? Nahhhhhh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City