Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 07:42 AM

3,060 posts, read 2,035,841 times

Advertisements

Wow beef 4x a week, yes that can be expensive.
We've been increasing our vegetable portion of meals and decreasing meat. Red meat is 1x a week for us.
I have never spent that much $ per pound of meat in my life (almost 70 now).

Vegetables have been increasing in price too but so far less $$ than meat.

We love vegetables, so many ways delicious to prepare them.
I love a good steak every now and then.

Garden is started with lots of green things growing like collard, lettuce.
Most of the veggies are in containers, during 2020 Covid I started using 25 gallon woven bags and they really do well.
When rabbits appear I put a ring of wire around the top to stock their snacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 07:48 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Start home canning and you'll save even more! Poultry and pork can very well. Lamb cans beautifully too and it's less expensive than beef!
I find lamb to be more expensive than beef, even ground lamb compared to ground beef. Prices have been changing so quickly though, I should keep closer track.

OP, could you switch to ground beef for at least one of those meals? That would give you some additional savings. You can make a tasty beef stroganoff with ground beef; it's just as delicious, and is easier to prepare. You can probably think of other substitutions yourself.

Old 04-11-2024, 08:37 AM

983 posts, read 608,715 times
We have been very little red meat as it is so expensive. I prefer other meats/fish, though anyway. Hubby likes to have a nice little piece of red meat grilled.

Ground turkey works well for us too!

Old 04-11-2024, 08:57 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
I eat beef, primarily Tenderloin. 4x per week.

Tenderloin four times a week. I don't think this is about cost savings, but a humble brag.

Seriously though, I envy folks where they have a choice of good meat. Prime is non existent around here. A lot of the choice seems more like select. And then the crap the local Walmart has seems closer to cutter than anything else.

Old 04-11-2024, 09:27 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Not sure why anyone would eat beef tenderloin 4 x a week, except for a total lack of imagination, but really, there are many ways to decrease a food budget.

Shop the sales.
Shop at ALDIs first, then fill in at higher end stores.
Know what things cost, and pass on something that is a rip off. There are $2. a dozen eggs on the shelf right next to $6. a dozen eggs. Would I rather buy eggs from free range organic chickens? Yes, but I don’t. Would I like Irish butter better than ALDIs? Maybe, but I’ll never know.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:28 PM

1,366 posts, read 994,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
I used to live in your neck of the woods and did a lot of price comparing.. If you don't object to a ride down Rt 8 to the Derby Shop Rite, they have much better prices than the Seymour S and S. If you go to Shop Rite, apply at the courtesy desk for a card and then check their on-line sales every week. (or see if they still send a sales flyer out in the mail) Also, there are other Shop Rite stores in CT, maybe in or near Waterbury.
Thx for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Start home canning and you'll save even more! Poultry and pork can very well. Lamb cans beautifully too and it's less expensive than beef!
Mmmm.... xtra work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
We live on a farm and grow our own fruits and vegetables and raise livestock for meat, eggs, poultry and dairy. We can, vacuum seal, dehydrate, freeze dry and dry age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
One word, tofu.
Ewww.... tofu....

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Latte Factor. Stop spending $$$ on coffee at Starbucks.
Who's spending $$$ on coffee at Starbucks? Not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kroadking View Post
You could easily save double or triple the money by eating larger servings and bumping to 7x week! That's where I'd start!
Ha ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, could you switch to ground beef for at least one of those meals?
Possibly a good idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Tenderloin four times a week. I don't think this is about cost savings, but a humble brag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not sure why anyone would eat beef tenderloin 4 x a week....
Start eating beef tenderloin 4 x a week. and you'll get it.

Thanks everyone.

Old 04-11-2024, 04:24 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I find lamb to be more expensive than beef, even ground lamb compared to ground beef. Prices have been changing so quickly though, I should keep closer track.

OP, could you switch to ground beef for at least one of those meals? That would give you some additional savings. You can make a tasty beef stroganoff with ground beef; it's just as delicious, and is easier to prepare. You can probably think of other substitutions yourself.

ITA, Lamb is a ridiculous price, we only eat it once every few years, it is cost prohibitive. It is delicious, but not worth breaking the budget over it.

I also agree having a ground meat meal once a week, would also save money.

Old 04-11-2024, 04:55 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
At what OP pays for tenderloin and the amount he is eating - why not. A decent meal for a decent price. I hope the prices will stay somewhat stable.
We are in the middle of beef country and rib eye is pushing 20+. None of the discount stores but Aldi are around. No real farmers markets. It is corn, soy and sunflowers. Well, people survive and plenty of new ones are moving in.
SO gets what he wants - his Ortho said as much protein as I can get into him. Eat steak baby, eat steak!

Old 04-12-2024, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
ITA, Lamb is a ridiculous price, we only eat it once every few years, it is cost prohibitive. It is delicious, but not worth breaking the budget over it.

I also agree having a ground meat meal once a week, would also save money.
The co-op I shopped at came up with a new item that became very popular in their deli section: "Greek turkey burgers". What was "Greek" about them was that they had spinach and feta cheese mixed in with the ground turkey. But what really sold them was the fact that they were loaded with garlic! And they were sold already cooked, so you could either take them home and heat them up for dinner, or have them as a grab-and-go item for lunch on the run.

They were so popular, word got around and brought new customers into the store just for those. Very healthy, very tasty,and cheap to make, if you could figure out the precise proportion of garlic, salt and any possible secret ingredients. Great for people on a low-carb diet.

Who knew ground turkey could be so good?

Old 04-12-2024, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
\

Ground turkey works well for us too!
Maybe we should have a ground turkey recipe thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products