Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 10:43 PM

6,095 posts, read 2,717,141 times

Advertisements

CEO Rick Dreiling said in the call that the higher-cost items will include food, pet, and personal care items.

“This year, across 3,000 stores, we expect to expand our multi-price assortment by over 300 items at price points ranging from $1.50 to $7,” Dreiling said.

Dreiling also shared during the call the majority of the items sold will remain at the fixed price point; however, over time they will integrate multi-price items.

“Our shoppers will find $5 bags of dog food next to our traditional $1.25 pet treats and toys, and our $3 bags of candy will be found in the candy aisle,” he said.

According to the store’s executive, the discount store’s customer demographic is shifting toward people with higher incomes.

https://www.azfamily.com/2024/03/26/...rice-stores-7/

To those who shop at Dollar tree is this welcome news? is DT going in the right direction will it negatively affect low income folks shop there now that they are moving towards higher prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 12:37 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Their original Schematics of "everything for one price" was the draw in for consumers.

With these variables in costs- It will be a tough sell for the thrift shoppers who WERE Their already loyal clients.

An old saying holds true- Your best clients are the ones YOU Already Have. Loyalty hasn't changed.

They are turning into a Dollar General- Which started out under the same premise.

I often think of the days of K-MART- These two stores mentioned above are the step sisters of this marketing style.

I can't imagine with shelf space already limited how they will Bump out certain products and increase pricing to draw in more of the Supposed - Medium income.

Old 03-27-2024, 10:33 AM

6,095 posts, read 2,717,141 times
I talked to my gf about it who shops at DT weekly. She's excited for the pet stuff as she buys a lot of cat food there and what not.

But she did say it might turn off some of the loyal customers and that they are turning in to Dollar General.

Old 03-28-2024, 02:22 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
So far I've only seen this in the fridge/freezer section, and only in one door of the section, where they have cut back on some other items.
I actually think it might be a plus because they now have some smaller 'family meal' size items, like chicken nuggets, that are budget friendly. Not saying that they are good buys, because at the price per unit they aren't a deal. But if you're on a tight budget and only have $Xxx to spend it's convenient to be able to get some meat on the table for cheap.
I've been tempted once or twice to pick up some of those $3-5 frozen items if I happen to be there while I'm running errands late in the day. It's convenient to pick up, it's cheap and it's fast to prepare when I'm too tired to really cook.

Old 03-28-2024, 06:20 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I will take the 'wait and see' approach. I shop there for candles, cheap make-up, greeting cards and notepads. If those go up slightly, I will still buy those, but I can't see shopping there for anything else at this point.

Btw, I do NOT buy any of their food because it is not really that good of a value, as the food items are either the same price as grocery stores or they are package in very small quantity for the price point, and the candy -- which i don't buy, anyway -- is just the same price as many other places. Also, the $1.25 housewares are VERY poor quality, so unless the quality goes up, I won't buy their housewares, either (except for mugs and drinking glasses, which are a bargain at $1.25).

Old 03-28-2024, 08:29 AM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I will take the 'wait and see' approach. I shop there for candles, cheap make-up, greeting cards and notepads. If those go up slightly, I will still buy those, but I can't see shopping there for anything else at this point.

Btw, I do NOT buy any of their food because it is not really that good of a value, as the food items are either the same price as grocery stores or they are package in very small quantity for the price point, and the candy -- which i don't buy, anyway -- is just the same price as many other places. Also, the $1.25 housewares are VERY poor quality, so unless the quality goes up, I won't buy their housewares, either (except for mugs and drinking glasses, which are a bargain at $1.25).
For the most part that's probably true, but there are some exceptions.

For example, their big bags of GRIM's white cheddar popcorn can't be beat, even going up from $1.25 to $1.50.

The next best deal is Kroger's house brand with half the size and calories for $1.59, and DT is out of stock on the white cheddar variant less often than is Kroger (at least from what I see in the Houston metro)

( I am staying away from those big bags right now though....counting calories, net carbs, and grams of protein....strict totals on the minimum protein and the average net carbs and calories....and no cookies (nor the Walmart Choc. Chip Chewy granola bars I liked).....and I've lost 28.4 lbs in 8 weeks)

Old 03-28-2024, 10:12 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
So far I've only seen this in the fridge/freezer section, and only in one door of the section, where they have cut back on some other items.
I actually think it might be a plus because they now have some smaller 'family meal' size items, like chicken nuggets, that are budget friendly. Not saying that they are good buys, because at the price per unit they aren't a deal. But if you're on a tight budget and only have $Xxx to spend it's convenient to be able to get some meat on the table for cheap.
I've been tempted once or twice to pick up some of those $3-5 frozen items if I happen to be there while I'm running errands late in the day. It's convenient to pick up, it's cheap and it's fast to prepare when I'm too tired to really cook.
Our local Dollar Tree has a "Dollar Tree Plus" aisle with higher-priced items. I presume these are mostly located in more affluent stores.

Old 03-28-2024, 02:42 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Our local Dollar Tree has a "Dollar Tree Plus" aisle with higher-priced items. I presume these are mostly located in more affluent stores.
That's the section they are referring to. Many Dollar Trees' have added that section but some never realize it existed. What this the $7 increase covers is their decision to expand that section beyond a single aisle to maybe 2 or three aisles. They will still be selling their dollar (1.25) items but also offering higher priced items of larger sizes, better quality or something that just cost more to make.

If anyone shopped at any of the 99.9 cents stores on the west coast, you will remember when they went from 99 cents to 99.9 cents and soon started adding the $3, $4 and $5 items. They didn't drop the 99 cents stuff, just added some more items that came at a higher price.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:38 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
The whole idea turns me off because then they'll just be another version of Dollar General - we are drowning in those where I live and blech. Dollar Tree was fun because you could find really good things. BUT even since they went $1.25 some things are shrinking badly and some are supplied by new companies that make things cheaper, so I was on the way off them before now.

Old 03-29-2024, 10:37 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Maybe with the higher priced items they can use the profits to hire some cashiers to run the registers.

We actually have a new Dollar Tree near me, but I have put my items back and walked out the last two times I went
in there because I am not going to wait in line behind 10 people. Nothing Dollar Tree has that I want that bad. Four registers up front, but always just one cashier working, and god help you if someone ahead of you in line wants a bunch of birthday balloons blown up...........

Maybe they could staff their stores if they paid more than $8 an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products