Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 08:40 AM

9,052 posts, read 4,747,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post

Frankly, I think this is all a bit premature. I would like to see some "reliable source" information, saying cereals will be 30% higher in a year. I do know they will eventually spike upwards (they have in the past 2 years, but I don't see _another_ 30% in the next year), but, as someone who has been watching the situation for years, I am not seeing that happening this year, unless Putin decides to nuke Ukraine. Then, of course, all bets are off.
After I posted this, I remembered some of FAO's numbers came out yesterday.
Despite local losses, the world wide situation doesn't look too bad.
(I don't trust government analysis or propaganda, at all, but the numbers they collect along the way are usually good, and I can do my own analysis.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
However, I do find it interesting, that in a sub-forum titled: 'Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness', and a thread called: 'How Prepared Are You?'

Posters are NOT talking about 'Self-Sufficiency', or 'Preparedness', or even 'How prepared they are',

But rather the discussion has turned to speculation on this year's crop harvest.

In my mind, the term 'Self-Sufficiency' kind of implies that an individual is NOT dependent on grocery stores, and our society for food. To me, 'Preparedness' implies that an individual is trying to be prepared for the next crisis that befalls us.
Most of us are not that prepared.
We are along the lines of 50% prepared, and 50% dependent on the supermarket.

If things turn bad, we could suck it up and deal with it for a while,
but we watch the market shifts, cause buying things when they are cheap makes for an easier life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
... some of FAO's numbers came out yesterday.
Despite local losses, the world wide situation doesn't look too bad.
(I don't trust government analysis or propaganda, at all, but the numbers they collect along the way are usually good, and I can do my own analysis.)

The FAO reports (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations) under "Food Outlook" can be found here:
https://www.fao.org/giews/en/

It shows that, globally, we lost about 25MMT of wheat (annual production), and we can stand a loss of another 25MMT of wheat (just over an 8 day supply), before prices become seriously impacted. (Keyword: seriously) Previous recent impacts were due to supply chain disruptions and price of diesel fuel, natural gas, and fertilizer, resulting in 20% to 40% increases in food prices, almost across the board.

Oil crops are not in as good a shape, and appear to, already, be in a condition to cause price spikes. I don't buy enough seed oils (canola, sunflower, olive, etc) to know what the prices should be.

Old 06-17-2023, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Buy 10, price will be 30% higher in a year; that's a better return than almost every investment portfolio.
Mylar reusable(so long as you don't seal with an iron)bags and O2 absorbers are cheap for storage, you can save a lot of cash buying food in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Didn't we have this conversation in a different thread last winter?.
I use silica packs as well, plus I do iron bags shut.
Unfortunately, nuts and oils etc I have found no means to preserve for many years; though I imagine peanut butter powder might be a possibility.
You kinda need to stick to one line of thought, or the other.
Else
You confuse people.

Old 07-15-2023, 09:46 AM

2,736 posts, read 2,241,409 times
I found a great one gallon jug to keep for water. It is the Arizona Green Tea jugs and they are heavy duty compared to regular water or milk jugs.

Old 07-15-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I found a great one gallon jug to keep for water. It is the Arizona Green Tea jugs and they are heavy duty compared to regular water or milk jugs.

Old 07-15-2023, 10:54 AM

37,536 posts, read 61,578,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
About twenty years ago, we shifted to drinking wine with our suppers. One-gallon glass jugs with the handle 'ring'. Because I planted an apple orchard with varieties for making hard cider, we have kept all of those jugs, 20 years worth. So we have plenty to use for hard cider.

Old 07-15-2023, 11:27 AM

14,969 posts, read 9,869,899 times
55 gal Poly barrels are also great for large capacity water/rain storage. Of course you can get virgin poly... or like I did, get the ones that had hydrogen peroxide in them previously, from a pool chemical supply company. $5 ea.

Advanced Oxidation Process (AOP) for water treatment uses Hydrogen Peroxide, so it's safe.

** just checked, they're up to $8 for 55 gal. bung hole barrel, still a bargain.

Old 07-15-2023, 11:30 AM

37,536 posts, read 61,578,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
55 gal Poly barrels are also great for large capacity water/rain storage. Of course you can get virgin poly... or like I did, get the ones that had hydrogen peroxide in them previously, from a pool chemical supply company. $5 ea.

Advanced Oxidation Process (AOP) for water treatment uses Hydrogen Peroxide, so it's safe.

** just checked, they're up to $8 for 55 gal. bung hole barrel, still a bargain.
In my area, any barrels used for rainwater storage must be kept heated or else they will freeze and split the barrels.

Old 07-15-2023, 11:46 AM

14,969 posts, read 9,869,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In my area, any barrels used for rainwater storage must be kept heated or else they will freeze and split the barrels.
Lol... never crossed my mind living in Florida.

The old timers in FL would put Bream (sunfish) in the rain barrels to eat the mosquito larva. Different worlds we live in. My (former) place in TN, I would use an incandescent light under the barrel and wrap it in water heater insulation blanket. The water was stored in a walk in, dirt floor crawl space... but the temp never really got colder than 0* F in winter outside. I suppose it never really super cold inside the crawl space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness