Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 08:05 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,962,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The Cidiots fighting over TP, food and cleaning supplies. The same people calling us gun nuts, hoarders, rednecks. We are self sufficient and survive this stuff every time it has happened in history. Did they not pay attention in history class?
I still have food, TP, and cleaning supplies and food is still everywhere. You will continue to look stupid until all this is gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 08:16 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,371,331 times
I am in NYC, and the grocery stores all have normal food supplies. Obviously the crisis sucks, but I don't see any reason for hoarding anything.

Even in Italy, which is a total disaster, supermarkets are well stocked. The issue isn't not enough Cheerios, it's Covid-19 exposure and the accompanying economic threat.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:32 AM

3,074 posts, read 2,061,086 times
NOLA101 said What have preppers done that has proven beneficial during the current crisis? Nothing.

Ignorant comment, perhaps to get attention and/or provoke.

Preppers aren't the ones storming the stores and fighting over toilet paper, they already had most of what they needed. It's not "hoarding" to have food, first aid and other supplies on hand. People who panic at the last minute needing things like this are part of the problem, not people who prep in advance.
Preppers pay attention to their hygiene and health and aren't out there in crowds increasing transmission of coronavirus.
Preppers know how to cook meals for themselves and their immediate circle.
Preppers may not be perfect but they are not a burden on society when things go sideways like we see today.
Preppers are willing to spend part of their money on security (food, health, personal) in order to have their kids survive long enough to go to college or trade school, whatever they choose.It's not all or nothing when it comes to prep vs. education.

Last edited by twinkletwinkle22; 03-20-2020 at 08:44 AM..

Old 03-20-2020, 09:38 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,415,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I never realized how many are so helpless until I supported a call center. People that don't know how to cook. I mean at all. It is hard for them to even run a microwave to reheat their dine outs. I'm talking about a yeast base in my fridge and to them I may as well be talking about quantum physics. Yeast? What's that. Their parents need slapped.

You have access to a washing machine. You can wipe your butt with cloth, wash it and do it again.
My friend has a son in college, and he can't cook anything. She does it all for him. He can't even put something in a microwave oven. So she'll be visiting me at my house then she'll look at her watch and say "Oh no! My son hasn't had dinner yet. I need to go fix him something." This is a 21 year old man!

It's amazing how many people are still going to dine in restaurants as of the other day, and going through the drive through's. The drive through line at Chik Fil A was probably 12 cars deep yesterday.

I'm also getting tired of news stories about a person is angry because they go to the grocery store and "hoarders" took everything already. Why didn't they go to the store sooner? Why don't they have at least some stockpile of food already? Sure, i can understand if someone is in extreme poverty, that would be the exception. But of course people are stocking up, so they can stay indoors and not catch the virus or spread it to anyone else. It's responsible for them to stock up on food and stay inside as long as they can.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:09 AM

3,074 posts, read 2,061,086 times
PriscillaVanilla said: I'm also getting tired of news stories about a person is angry because they go to the grocery store and "hoarders" took everything already. Why didn't they go to the store sooner? Why don't they have at least some stockpile of food already?

My opinion: we have all gotten into the easy habit of shopping when we need something because it's always available, some grocery stores open 24/7 fully stocked. It makes people angry when they don't get what they want when they want it.
Part of their anger must be fear too.

My grandmother shopped once a week when my grandfather got paid. They had one car, she didn't drive at all, so it was a Saturday shop day. I visited them one summer and loved going grocery shopping with her, cart piled high. She had a talent for predicting the total bill within 5 cents without keeping track.

I love to grocery shop and 3 or more times a week was normal. I haven't been to the store for 8 days and it feels like much, much longer. I am looking into curbside pickup and delivery, not as much fun but safer.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:45 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,882,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
No, I live in a major city on the east coast in the US. Give me 30 minutes and I can find stores that sell anything I need. A few items are running out, but it's not a big deal yet. Just avoid big box stores in the suburbs.
You are the PERFECT example of the difference between a 'city slicker" and a "redneck country boy".

Old 03-20-2020, 01:55 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,937,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I'm a pretty smart guy. Two college degrees and a lifetime of experience in the real world. I can't get my head around this toilet paper hoarding.

The toilet is right next to the shower. If you don't have toilet paper get in the shower and a hot soapy washcloth takes care of business.

Then you wash the washcloth and, ta da, you have a RPHA (reusable personal hygiene accessory).
Do like the east indians do - there is a reason they only use the right hand to eat, shake hands, etc. They use the other hand for, ummm, other purposes.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:23 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,746,561 times
This is a good time to rotate out stored preps. Of course you know this, start with the oldest on the shelf than when this mess straightens out rebuild your stocks....

Old 03-20-2020, 02:32 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,129,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
This is a good time to rotate out stored preps. Of course you know this, start with the oldest on the shelf than when this mess straightens out rebuild your stocks....
I've been doing that for months due to an upcoming move.

Old 03-20-2020, 02:36 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,725,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If China was the one that unleashed it intentionally they just shot themselves in the foot. They NEED 6% annual growth or more to pay for all their infrastructure development and they are facing a 40% DECLINE for 2020.

While I can’t be 100% sure, it is far more likely that this was caused by what created SARS - animals that normally don’t meet in the wild all caged together in close proximity with humans.
If I had to finger a culprit, it wouldn't be China. What do you think of the CV news coming out of Russia nowadays? They have tested over 100,000 people, with about the same number of infections as the US has deaths. They say they have a test that can provide results in 15 minutes.

Russia has already been conducting a destabilizing attack against the US. Not long ago I pointed out here that America is at war, but Americans are too dumb to realize it. The place a weapon is first deployed has no relationship to where it was developed. Release it in Wuhan where the Chinese have their bioweapons labs, and the misdirection is almost perfect.

The design is wonderful. It infects children without causing symptoms, so schools spread the disease. It preferentially kills the elders and leaders of a nation, while blocking the education of younger generations. Look what is happening to the economy of the western world. The real targets may be Europe and Western Asia. We know that Putin's goal is to reconquer and expand the old Soviet Empire.

Is this real? I don't know, but if Russia sails through the pandemic with minimal damage it's going to look real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness