Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 06:27 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I agree but we don't all have that and don't ya know it's always something like an emergency that forces us to realize what we forgot or just put off. I wish I could afford beef like I did in the 90's. At least I'm getting there even if a little here and there. I can't do much long term except be very careful of what I eat now for long term. I finally got the one touch test kit. My old one broke. I live in an apartment size condo so not yard to grow anything. That's ok I can buy at the farmers market I'm thinking of sneaking something to small to grow on my balcony just to see if I can without killing it. I should look into growing broccoli since I like so much. I live by an oil company that chokes us all so we hardly ever open the windows and the highways are nothing to worry about but the trucks on the street a block away are gross. I swear I question how they ever passed inspection. If one thing doesn't kill me another will but I am going to make sure I have what I need to prevent getting sick or stuck running out to buy what I forgot while being sick.

Da da da da daaaa da da flying high now LOL LOL
yeah, I used to be like that, lived in a coastal city for 40 years, moved around the suburbs, last place was a 1 bedroomed apartment in the suburbs, trouble is if a big collapse event happened I dont think I could have survived there, trouble will living in a city is the people, just too many of them, glad I got out when I did, 23 years ago when I married a country girl born and bred, best move I ever made...on both counts!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2022, 10:52 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Hey, buy your groceries one day at a time and don't fill the gas tank until the needle bounces off the peg. Your choice and absolutely nobody cares if that is how you choose to live your life. Also, nobody on this subforum is interested in following your lead and living their life just as you dictate, so you are probably wasting your time when you put in the effort to post here.

There must be forums just for the people who want to live day to day and believe that no disasters ever happen. There is a place where you can be the well respected guru. It just isn't here.
You're wasting your time.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:23 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My A1C was climbing too high and my PCP started having my A1C tested every month. Then scheduled an appointment for me to begin taking diabetes meds.

We have a lot of friends who have had diabetes for many years, and we are seeing what these friends go through with the effects of long-term diabetes. So I stopped eating all grain products and potatoes. No wheat, no rice, no corn. My diet now is primarily meat and veggies.

People talk a lot about comparing carb milligrams to fiber milligrams, but everything has more carbs then it has fiber. Even fiber supplements still have more carbs than they do fiber.

It worked, my A1C came back down. I have avoided going onto diabetes meds.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...-vs-fiber.html

Thanks for posting your personal experience. We have a similar story from within our immediate family. Diabetes used to be extremely rare, and now it's been "normalized". Humans didn't suddenly "evolve" to be pre-disposed to diabetes. Our diets and lifestyles changed.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:30 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Thanks for posting your personal experience. We have a similar story from within our immediate family. Diabetes used to be extremely rare, and now it's been "normalized". Humans didn't suddenly "evolve" to be pre-disposed to diabetes. Our diets and lifestyles changed.
I think that by adopting refined sugar into our diet we have certainly caused many diseases.

But sugar is not what causes diabetes, even though later once you are in the disease sugar certainly becomes the primary focus. It appears that grains are the cause of diabetes. By reverting to veggies, meat, eggs and cheese we can avoid diabetes.

Old 10-13-2022, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I think that by adopting refined sugar into our diet we have certainly caused many diseases.

But sugar is not what causes diabetes, even though later once you are in the disease sugar certainly becomes the primary focus. It appears that grains are the cause of diabetes. By reverting to veggies, meat, eggs and cheese we can avoid diabetes.
I don't have any medical / scientific qualifications. Easier access to grains started thousands of years ago, becoming easier with every generation. Easier access to refined sugars happened within my parent's lifetime. Diabetes becoming mainstream happened within my lifetime.

But they are related. Most of the refined sugars in American's diets comes from corn syrup, which is a grain product. The second source is granulated sugar from sugar beets, which is a GMO crop (like corn). I'm not suggesting that GMOs are the problem. The economics of growing calories is the problem. Factory food is poison. Poison causes long term health problems.

But of course, almost everybody reading this already knows this.

Old 10-14-2022, 01:59 AM

the problem is processed foods especially the snack variety, they are loaded with chemicals and sugar and will not only give someone diabetes but quite possibly cancer too.
by eating a diet of natural foods like meat and veg, eggs and fruit we do away with these risks.
game meat is far better than farmed meat if one can get it, its much leaner and has had a natural life as opposed to American meat which has all the injected hormones and anti biotics .

Last edited by bigpaul; 10-14-2022 at 02:51 AM..

Old 10-14-2022, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
as opposed to American meat which has all the injected hormones and anti biotics .
Actually, due to recent (around 10 years ago) legislation and market pressures most of the meat sold in the USA is raised without using hormones or antibiotics. I can't remember the last time I bought factory meat that didn't come with a label specifying as much. I know meat is still produced using them, I'm guessing it goes to fast food or the export market where it's more invisible to the consumer.

Some of the labeling is nonsense, like "hormone free" labels on pig and chicken meat, when hormones have never been used on these species.

Old 10-15-2022, 01:54 AM

I buy all our meat straight from the farm, game meat when I can get it, British welfare standards are the best in the world.

Old 10-17-2022, 12:00 AM

13,627 posts, read 10,029,608 times
I love this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwAPVZUaaNU

You got me thinking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness