Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:02 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,041,042 times

Advertisements

I traveled the USA with my wife on a motorcycle and we found truck stops for showers, met people who offered us shelter for 3 nights that came with showers. The 3 nights was a standard I created, so we would not wear out any welcomes, and almost all of those folks have invited us back any next time we ride out. The bike pulled it's own tiny trailer, and in that was camping gear with room left over for us each to have clothing for 1805/06 as we were semi hunting any Lewis and Clark doings in 05 and 06.

The ride was round trip NH to Cal, Cal to Fla, Fla to Ok since I made a wrong turn somehwere's

Back east into Ar and we hit a wall called winter, so we bought a 86 Dodge convesion van and a brand new tourmaster 6x6x 12 trailer for the van, and put the bike and it's trailer in that big trailer, and stayed in AR Tn , Ky, Ga, NC a while longer.

One camp site I traded labor and got cash for re-doing the mens bath at. I did framing to finished, in the showers and install new toliets there.

In Tn I traded another site for just cleaning the mens showers unit, which took about 20 minutes a day, leaving me plenty of time to do as I pleased.

I worked sterlijg silver across the USA to pay for gas. For that all I did was pull up somewhere I liked and sit to start making something. People would see I was making something and wander over to see. Next thing earrings were sold, brooches were sold and I had gas money again.

I had food money too. I don't do welfare period. Never have never will. No Govt gets any info on me for being downed and out. Neva gonna happen!

Oh one guy who feared us in Cook City Mt. If you read this contact me.

Anyway this guy didn't like my looks well, but made mention he was bord, and heading to Cody for the library. I popped open the mc trailer and passed him a book on Trade Silver, and when I did a brooch I forgot about fell out. He moved faster than I did and retrived that brooch, and commented it was nice. I just grinned and opened the book to that picture on the page. He compared the 2 and bought that piece on the instant.

Later when he returned the book to the cabin, he left a note saying he bought another piece, as he had found a price list in the back of the book too. That money was correct too.

Man I don't even need to be around and what ever I do sells itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 08:28 AM

37 posts, read 50,718 times
Mac, I love your posts. I'm following you in a bunch of threads.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollar21 View Post
Mac, I love your posts. I'm following you in a bunch of threads.
LOL, Yer in pretty good company as there is this strange woman who's been followin me around over 20 years now. She says she has paper

Often times cash register clerks call me at some distance, and say 'Honey I need your wallet!"

You must be expert in reading typo too. LOL

Where away in upstate NY? My wife is from Rawchester, well she would hit me if she knew I said that, as she says Spencerport, but that's still Rawchester to me.

They tawk funny out that way i think, as the "A" is wicked haaard. ie: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAApple .

Old 07-29-2011, 04:12 AM

Helderberg Mountains, southwest of Albany, rural but close to the Capital District of Albany. Been there my whole 45 years, but my happy place is Vermont, I love to snowmobile and hike. I have been hanging out here at CD for quite some time, love to read, but obviously do not post a lot. I enjoy people with a lot of life experience and I like to consider people's different opinions on subjects. Home defense and preparedness are a new interest for me, as there has been an increase in robberies and homes compromised in my area. I do have guns, both for hunting and self defense, and am considering getting a german shepard. My beagle would not be much of a deterrent.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:11 AM

Loosely I know the general area sort of. I have toured some back roads below Amsterdam and Johns Town, also the area around Galloway, and Rt 27 I think off the I-84 coming from the north.

Does the beagle run rabbits around the house? I had a dog that did that once. Last time I went back to that place there was still a path on the lawn left from years of that dog doing that in the same exact place.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:11 AM

Mac, you were about 20 miles north of me in the area you refer to. The Beagle is a pampered house dog, but also a great rabbit dog. He's 15 & 1/2 years old and still would run a rabbit. Just not much of a watch dog... Back on topic for the OP, I think the van idea, if you can manage that simple lifestyle, will require the ability to maintain a low profile and not be noticed by nosy people and authorities. Someone mentioned moving frequently, even if just a short distance, and I think that would be wise. Also choose a paint color that blends with the environment, like tan or green. I do admire simple living and am moving in that direction myself.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:04 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,873,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
So who knows that quote?
I'm 34 with no kids and not much family. Got into a little trouble (alcohol related or course) and by the end of the year should be all legally free to roam. Is it insane to have an idea to sell all my worldy junk, buy a van, make it my home and travel the country? I would stay mostly on the west coast so i dont freeze to death, plus I really love it out there but housing is unattainable.
I'm just sick and tired of the conventional life, it's predictable and I can't get ahead no matter what I do. So is this a "crazy" idea? I'm very frugal and have had this dream of doing this for years now. It would be such a simple existence. Thoughts? Opinions?
The best book on the subject just happens to be a free e-book. http://nocategories.net/images/Rough...val-Manual.pdf

All the naysayers on here are assuming that you won't be working, but I'm thinking you can pick up odd jobs and there are always little places in the mountains, resorts and such, who have need of temp help and you may be able to pick up these types of jobs when you need money and often they'll let you park your van on the land. You can also volunteer some labor in exchange for a place to stay and food--WWOOF and helpx can help you do this-- http://www.helpx.net/ or WWOOF - World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms

Hopefully you have some skills--mechanical, making things, playing music, etc, or try to learn some as you go. Stay neatly trimmed and shaven so you won't get hassled. Try to look as normal as possible, like a guy who just drove out from the city to have a nice day in the country. I don't vote for the RV--too expensive to drive it and camp it and it limits the places you can go. You're going to be spending most of your time outdoors so how can you get cramped? Sure there will be times when you're uncomfortable, but comfort is not the main goal of life, though many seem to think so. You'll get lonely too, esp if you're not outgoing, but chances are that you will learn to talk to others more readily if you get lonesome enough. As others have said, plan ahead for common emergencies like diarrhea and have a good first aid kit on hand. It's good to have on hand a copy of Where There is No Doctor.

I'm not just talking out my other end either--I've done this. Not so much in the states, but I traveled around the world and camped for most of it and it was wonderful. You could also go to another country and do this--Australia was great for traveling around and there are many places there that are free to camp in and they have programs where you can buy a used vehicle and sell it back when you leave. You can prepay health insurance before you go and it's not expensive at all--cost us $1200 for the year for a family of four just 5 years ago. You can also do helpx and wwoof there. Also there are many countries in the world where you can live much cheaper than here.

Last edited by stepka; 07-30-2011 at 08:13 AM..

Old 07-30-2011, 08:38 AM

8,174 posts, read 12,916,298 times
One way to resolve the parking issue is approach either businesses or church's and ask if you can park in the lot overnight in exchange for being a security deterrent. (you could park right next to the central air unit so when the crackheads think about stealing the copper you will hear them)

Another idea is parking "on site" at construction sites. (although they are fewer and farther between) Having someone on site to prevent theft of materials at no cost to the builder would be a "win/win".

Old 07-30-2011, 09:32 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,231,871 times
OP, I hope you go for it and follow your dream successfully.

You'll be just fine and less noticeable in a van, and I just wanted to let you know how "doable" your idea is space-wise.

In 1958 my Dad got laid off from Lockheed-Martin in L.A. at the same time our suburb got hit with eminent domain to condemn our whole block to build another freeway.

He took the money from the sale of the house and his severance pay as the sign he'd been waiting for that he could afford to go north to the wilds of Oregon, which he'd always dreamed about.

After finding a used panel delivery van to buy, he managed to convert the empty inside to four bunks with storage to transport Mom and us three kids. We camped along the way, with a detour through Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, and Idaho, cooking outside over a campfire, fishing, hiking, and exploring. For a kid, it was a dream come true!

That was five people, living comfortably in a van for several months. We did it -- and you can, too. Good luck to you!

Old 07-30-2011, 10:05 PM

145 posts, read 176,922 times
Default Great Thread

I've decided at the end of next month (Aug) to live out of my mini van. I have jobs that earn some money but not enough to afford housing, at least at the moment...best to keep the van repaired, without that, there would be no jobs and then no roof over my head at all..no home OR minivan.

In other words, I'm choosing "homelessness" before it chooses me. Quite frankly though, I've always wanted to do something like this...I hate being tied to a home and all the maintenance that goes with it. I may change my mind of course after a few months in the minivan!

So I'm staying in the area I've lived in for the last 10 years...but I'm not telling anyone about my new living arrangements.

I have a month to get ready. I hope I think of everything. I'm concerned about eating healthy...it's harder without a fridge and kitchen, I'm sure. I think I'll be eating a lot of bagged lettuce and precooked chicken.

My jobs are in the morning and in the evening...the hours in the middle will be used to go to the laundrymat, library and gym (where I will also take showers). I'll do laundry every couple of days since I don't want to sleep with dirty laundry.

I'm going to swear one local friend to secrecy and ask her if my mail can go to her house and if I can store a few items of clothing there.

My backup plan is to go live with my mom back east. I don't want to leave my current location though because I have grown children here.

I welcome your thoughts. PS. I'm a woman in my 40s...and very healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness