Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2006, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 20,780 times

Advertisements

Hello, this is my first posting, and am excited to hear from you all. I'm interested in the long-term in possibly moving somewhere along the Washington coast, especially Seattle. For the short term, my hubby and I are planning a driving trip in November, all the way up the Oregon coast, and up to Seattle, to check it all out! We currently live in San Francisco, and love the weather, the ocean, the parks, and the healthy lifestyle (and close proximity to "city energy/bustle"... but hate the housing prices (we can't afford a 2-bdrm condo in our area for under $900,000. We currently have no children, and are both full-time employeed (husband in tech/computers, and myself as an ER nurse). Where should I be interested in living/checking out when we go up there? What's the best part of the city? Or should I consider any areas in the suburbs?

And aside from looking for a good place to live, what are some of the things to do, and places to visit and dine at that we just SHOULD NOT MISS?! We usually don't love the typical touristy/trinket places in cities, but rather, we love to walk around and see a mix of natural beauty as well as fun shops/boutiques/cafe's/restaurants/farmers' markets, etc.. We both love running and photographing nature's beauty.

Any and all input greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2006, 09:59 AM

42 posts, read 198,407 times
Given your professions, you'll probably be able to afford any of the areas in the metro (King County) areas.

It sounds like the San Juan Islands are going to be your kind of thing. You can get there by ferry or sea plane. There are bed and breakfasts, resorts (be sure to look at the Rosario Resort) and so much natural beauty it will take your breath away. And the quaint shopping in the islands are great - lots of artists.

I would also recommend taking the Clipper to Victoria Island and staying at the Empress Hotel, at least once. It's pricey to stay at the Empress, but worth it at least once. Lots of old fashioned elegance and charm and it's right in the heart of the downtown area.

Lots to see and do. I think you'll love it here.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Thanks so much!

What great ideas! I'm definitely going to check into these! Thanks alot for your time!

Old 08-09-2006, 08:22 PM

454 posts, read 906,684 times
Wow, how many weeks are you going to be here

You sound like a "Seattle style" couple. Seattle probably has the kind of energy you are probably looking for. Homes very near to Seattle can be yours for 600K and higher for nice and comfortable. The hills surrounding seattle have the houses, downtown has the condo's. If you don't have it, download google earth and take a look at us from space. It helps make sense of what is below.

As for your trip in November (great time to see the reality of what the Puget Sound is like in the non tourist season), there are more places to see than time, but here is my list of ahhhh's.

Seattle:
Pike place market is a "gotta see" just because... you gotta.
Blake Island - Tillicum Village. (Saturdays only in November). look this place up online.
Harbor tours.
Visit Bruce Lee at the Lakeview cemetary.
The locks in Ballard. All tourist places, but gives you a good idea of the flavor of the City. Should not be too busy anywhere during November.

West: Ferry ride from Seattle to Bremerton - one hour. Goes through a narrow "channel" to get to Bremerton, very beautiful. The trip back to Seattle can be breathtaking if your timing is right. Clear day get on the ferry and choose a time that will get you into seattle at sunset. WOW.

North:

Ferry from Edmonds to Kingston. Follow your map across the Hood Canal Bridge (one of three bridges we have here that float on the water). Go north to Port Townsend. Cool place. make sure you visit fort warden state park. This is an inactive naval base that was the set for "an officer and gentleman".

Ferry from Mukilteo to Clinton. (or Port Townsend/Keystone if you are doing it all in one day) You will be on Whidbey Island, the largest Island in the lower 48 states. Follow the highway up to the north. Leave the highway and find Fort Casey state park. This is another leg of the "triange of fire" (fort warden and Fort Flagler are the other two legs) that promised to prevent bad guys from steaming into the puget sound back prior to WWI. This is the best preserved fort with several guns still in place.

When there, drop down to the ferry terminal (the Port Townsend/Keystone ferry dock). If the tide is low, walk out on the rock seawall that is south of the terminal. You will get a one-on-one with many forms of sea life. You will also notice that the beach to the south is stacked with with driftwood as far as the eye can see. Weathered homes and driftwood make pretty cool pictures.

Back on the main highway, go north, visit Coopville for quaint stores, lots of new age stuff if you're into that.

Continue north through Oak Harbor. Continue north until you find the turnoff for deception park state park. Free daytime use. Take a walk on the beach and you will get your first glimpse of the Deception pass bridge.

When done, get back on the highway, cross the bridge and park in the outlook area on the north side of the bridge. Take the path down below the bridge. You can also walk on the bridge.

Anacortes: North of Whidbey Island. This is the closest launching point to go whale watching. It is worth the price of admission.

LaConnor: East and south of Anacortes - best place in my book for antique shopping. Dont miss Nasty Jacks. Some of the best antique furnature anywhere (and price to match).

CJMom has already covered the San Juan Islands (you will see them also if you go whale watching).

East of seattle

Snoqualmie falls, Snoqualmie. (east on I-90) there is an overlook to view the falls. In november, the worse the weather is, the more spectacular the flow. Take the trail down to the base of the falls. You can get right up to the water level and get some great pictures.

South: Mount Rainier - may be closed due to weather, if not, paradise is the place to go.

Mt. St. Hellens - explosive. enough said.

If you love photography and nature, you better have a large memory card for the camera.

Food.

McDonalds?

OK, seriously if you want to do the "seattle thing" find a Dicks. I don't get it, but the burgers are cheap and it is always busy, and its a seattle thing.

If you like the burger thing, if you come across a "Burgermaster", give it a try. It's an old style drive is with in-car service. A combo 1 includes a milkshake. It's my favorite burger joint.

For serious food somebody else will have to enlighten you on the local favorites of where you are going, in that they are ever changing. Chinese, Thai, Mexican are the most popular ethnic food types.

So, that is my top spots that meet what it sounds like you are looking for. There are dozens of other places, but save some for when you move here. : )

the Dufferz

Old 08-10-2006, 05:45 AM

Default Wow!!! Great Stuff!!!

THANKS! Thanks so much for all the terrific ideas! I'm definitely going to look into some if not all of these! You're THE BEST! for taking the time to write about all of this! Really appreciated, and I absolutely can't wait to come to Seattle! I KNOW I'm going to love it! Thanks again! Hannah

Old 09-03-2006, 09:30 PM

60 posts, read 303,653 times
One of my favorite places to eat in Seattle is Gordito's in Greenwood. It's kind of out of the way from the tourist areas, but it's awesome. If you like burritos, go there, you won't be disappointed.

Also check out Fremont, it's a cool little area with lots of shops and places to eat. The beauty of Seattle is that every neighborhood has it's own "downtown", so you can always find a lot of neat places near each other.

While you are in that area you could check out Greenlake. It's a nice park right in the middle of the northern part of the city that has some great views. Lots of runners and exercisers in general there.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 12,382 times
I would really recommend Olympic National Park. Hurricane ridge is beautiful any time of year. Also look at going up to Deer Park is even better but the road is gravel most of the way. If you want to do an over night Kalaloch on the coast and The Hoh Rainforest are not to be missed.

If you like wild animal parks and are going to the Olympic Peninsula, you might want to try The Olympic Game Farm in Sequim: http://www.olygamefarm.com/

There is also another wild animal park near Mt. Ranier: http://www.nwtrek.org/

And don’t forget about Tacoma’s Zoo at Point Defiance: http://www.pdza.org/

Finally, here is the link to other animal parks in the northwest: http://www.nwlink.com/~sunnywww/Apn-...Zoos.html#Wash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area