Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 03:13 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Was your wife wearing a mask? Were you? I mean, it's fairly binary. Either they work or they do not work. The proof is whether or not you get it. They don't limit the severity which is the vaccine.
I haven't worn a mask in over a year. I disagree with the mandates, including in schools, simply because they don't actually work (the mandate, not the mask). I'm not wearing a mask to protect anyone else, but if it can prevent me from getting COVID, I can choose to do that. I choose not to, because I hate wearing them, and I am willing to take the risk.

It's actually not binary in any way. Viral transmission is very hard to predict and sometimes can seem random. So you don't really know if the mask will work or not 100% of the time, but that's like saying "seat belts aren't worth wearing because they don't guarantee lack of injury in a car accident". You understand how stupid that is, right?

So by your logic, should the people who process COVID samples wear them? How about surgeons or ER doctors? Serious question. Either you believe that a virus can be transmitted or you don't, so which is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 03:44 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
I haven't worn a mask in over a year. I disagree with the mandates, including in schools, simply because they don't actually work (the mandate, not the mask). I'm not wearing a mask to protect anyone else, but if it can prevent me from getting COVID, I can choose to do that. I choose not to, because I hate wearing them, and I am willing to take the risk.

It's actually not binary in any way. Viral transmission is very hard to predict and sometimes can seem random. So you don't really know if the mask will work or not 100% of the time, but that's like saying "seat belts aren't worth wearing because they don't guarantee lack of injury in a car accident". You understand how stupid that is, right?

So by your logic, should the people who process COVID samples wear them? How about surgeons or ER doctors? Serious question. Either you believe that a virus can be transmitted or you don't, so which is it?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4480558/

Of course a virus can be transmitted. What we don't know is what we cannot measure. We can't say, "Oh if you only had your mask you wouldn't be sick".
I don't believe a mask helps against a virus at all. If they did, millions of people wouldn't have gotten covid. Masks were forced in my office and covid tore through it bad. I don't think any of them think masks work because they didn't.

My son had to wear a mask daily and we bought him the best available. He still got it. No one else at the time caught it but him.

Comparing cars to a virus is just silly.

Old 07-21-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Of course a virus can be transmitted. What we don't know is what we cannot measure. We can't say, "Oh if you only had your mask you wouldn't be sick".
I don't believe a mask helps against a virus at all. If they did, millions of people wouldn't have gotten covid. Masks were forced in my office and covid tore through it bad. I don't think any of them think masks work because they didn't.
You didn't answer the question, but by your statement above, people processing COVID samples, or working in a lab with hazardous materials should not wear masks then, because they are not 100% guaranteed to work. Got it.

Old 07-21-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
You didn't answer the question, but by your statement above, people processing COVID samples, or working in a lab with hazardous materials should not wear masks then, because they are not 100% guaranteed to work. Got it.
They should have the OPTION just like everyone should have from day one. The level of guarantee is zero as it equates to a virus. If I was a surgeon I'd want one of the rigs they have on oxygen and a face shield. Not a mask I can breathe through.

Old 07-21-2022, 04:14 PM

Quote:
They should have the OPTION just like everyone should have from day one. The level of guarantee is zero as it equates to a virus. If I was a surgeon I'd want one of the rigs they have on oxygen and a face shield. Not a mask I can breathe through.
you'd last exactly one day in a regulated environment! PPE is standard, normal, accepted, and hardly in dispute by anyone but the lowest level people in healthcare. Fight the power!

Old 07-21-2022, 04:38 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,457,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmoving View Post
\How do the other school districts in the San Diego area compare when it comes to draconian covid policies?

If an indoor masking requirement is "draconian" to you, it's probably going to be a tough haul wherever you go. All the districts have covid policies readily available so you can look up whichever one is appropriate for where you're going to move to. I checked Poway's just because it was one you mentioned. Their policy to readmit to school is no different than SDUSD. So maybe they won't be as quick on the draw to implement a mask requirement again, but if your kid is sick, it's the same procedure as elsewhere. No district is going to willfully allow symptomatic kids on campus.

The main thing is, we're not closing schools anymore. As I said already, at current case levels it would've meant state-directed school closures under the prior rules. So would you rather have masks (regardless if you believe or don't believe in them) or zoom? It's really that simple.

Last edited by joosoon; 07-21-2022 at 04:47 PM..

Old 07-21-2022, 04:44 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,457,065 times
For the record, today I received yet another exposure message. If school wasn't over tomorrow, I'd be testing daily throughout the next several weeks and be in a mask regardless of the school-wide directive. It's different for students, but so many were wearing masks where I was at anyway, I'd never notice.

Old 07-21-2022, 05:10 PM

Quote:
you'd last exactly one day in a regulated environment! PPE is standard, normal, accepted, and hardly in dispute by anyone but the lowest level people in healthcare. Fight the power!
Anyway Sass, hope you get better. Sounds like a tough go.

Old 07-21-2022, 06:57 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,485,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You probably know why. It sure isn't to protect your health.

Your boss wants you back in the office despite COVID. Here’s why:
https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...-covid-omicron
That reads like a puff piece cheerleading commercial office space.

Old 07-21-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Anyway Sass, hope you get better. Sounds like a tough go.
Thank you, appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego