Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,995 times

Advertisements

Where is the best area for families? Good schools and less crime....Also, could one get a 4-bedroom house for around 200K to 250K there? Also, need to know if a person with lots of computer programming and computer project management experience could get a job there? Please help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 03:44 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldtabl View Post
Where is the best area for families? Good schools and less crime....Also, could one get a 4-bedroom house for around 200K to 250K there? Also, need to know if a person with lots of computer programming and computer project management experience could get a job there? Please help me.
I wouldn't recommend relocating to SA. If you would like some information regarding the city, feel free to DM me. We returned to SoCal recently, but spent a few years in San Antonio.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Are you prepared for a lower standard of living?

Old 05-27-2010, 05:56 PM

948 posts, read 1,842,093 times
Moderator cut: off topic/personal

yes you can find a tech job here, check out Dedicated Server, Managed Hosting, Web Hosting by Rackspace Hosting, yes you can find a house for that price and there are plenty of great neighborhoods here. try the stone oak area, hollywood park area, timberwood park basically, if you're looking at a map, anything near or outside loop 1604 between I10 and 281. like all cities, yes there are some less desirable areas so you stay away from them. no harm, no foul.

Last edited by Bo; 05-28-2010 at 07:21 AM..

Old 05-27-2010, 06:06 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Yes, there are a lot of computer jobs in SA. My company has several big contracts with the government, many require security clearances but if you've lived a "good life" you should have no problems getting one.

There are also numerous companies and organizations in SA looking for IT expertise.

Oh, and don't be lured by someone trying to recruit you to southern California; I wouldn't ever consider it, mainly because their tanking economy is driving most people away from there! I have several friends "trapped" in California, most of which would love to move to Texas but they are stuck due to the horrible housing market there. However, some do escape, you constantly see California tags here as an endless number of folks from there seek to get away from all the problems there.

And it's not surprising why...do a little research on this forum and you will find that the vast majority of people love it here. You can find a nice house in your price range and there is a lot to do in this city. It is exceptionally family-friendly with a low cost-of-living, the folks here are very friendly, and we don't worry about an earthquake sending us into the Pacific Ocean!

Plus, we and most of the people we know here have a very high standard of living. We just don't judge it by overpaying for our homes or other items. Just because a comparable house in places like southern California costs 4-5 times what it would here doesn't make it any better home...it just makes it overpriced! Somehow people think that means they have a higher standard of living, but folks here realize they just lack a little commons sense. There is a wide variety of homes and neighborhoods to choose from in this area, and with it being a buyer's market now would be a good time to find yourself a new home!

It is also a safe city, especially considering its size. There is not a lot of violent crime here, and what does occur is usually due to predictable reasons (domestic disputes, drugs, etc). It is pretty localized and in most part of town it is nothing to worry about.

Good luck with your search, we found a home here in San Antonio and have enjoyed every minute of it! It would be ridiculous to consider places that are in such economic dire straits that the state government cannot even pay the tax refunds it owes its citizens. A situation like that would send a very serious message to me that it is time to leave, as it will only get worse. Luckily, we don't have to worry about that kind of stuff here...

Cheers! M2

Old 05-27-2010, 07:11 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I wouldn't recommend relocating to SA. If you would like some information regarding the city, feel free to DM me. We returned to SoCal recently, but spent a few years in San Antonio.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Are you prepared for a lower standard of living?
This whole "holier than thou" thing gets really old. I'm not sure what the reason is that you've decided to dedicate so much of your time to lurking on a random message board to tell people of the horrors of San Antonio.

Whatever you think of yourself, there are many, MANY, people that have traveled the world and lived all over. There are MANY of us that feel that Southern California, while offering nice weather, had NOTHING to offer society, other than a group of folks that think (think!) they're a little better than everyone else.

There are 3 million folks that are very happy here in San Antonio. We love the family oriented city. We love the friendly people. We love the diversity. We love the lack of Californians.

If it makes you feel good about yourself to try and denigrate a city and its people, then that's what you need to do. But just be aware that every time you open your trap, the response by most everyone on this board is just rolling their eyes.

SA is a great place to live. You didn't like it. You left. We're all better for it.

But why is it SO important to you to try and act like a scorned child?

Old 05-27-2010, 10:41 PM

109 posts, read 517,979 times
Here's a list of companies that hire IT people:
gov contractors:
SAIC
MacB
Northrop-Grumman
BAE
General Dynamics
Lockheed,

microsoft
unitedhealth care
swri.org
usaa
Valero
Wachovia
Accenture
Rackspace
Harcourt
KCI
HEB
Onboard software
alcoa
Globalscape

I also saw a news article about internet security companies moving here so you may want to look into that as well. There are also quite a few tech recruiting companies: kforce, teksystem, ...

Old 05-28-2010, 08:04 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,291,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
the response by most everyone on this board is just rolling their eyes.

But why is it SO important to you to try and act like a scorned child?
If you stop responding to it .... it will go away.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:45 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,153 times
You'd think so, but that hasn't worked.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me. I just think it's sad that someone is SO focused on trying to be negative and denigrate a place that millions know and love.

It's just sad.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:40 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
page 1

That said, the only computer people I've known over there work for USAA or Rackspace. I'm sure there are more, but you can add these two to your list.

Where to live - IMO that's more a function of where you work and may be a bit premature because there are a couple of regions I can think of that probably fit the bill.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:48 AM

272 posts, read 640,115 times
Rackspace is the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio