Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 10:43 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,695,287 times

Advertisements

five years? Wow! That’s much sooner than I expected. I thought you would respond 15-20 years. Hopefully it can be avoided.
You would think the state would have a massive project to save the lake.

Thank you for responding

QUOTE=kletter1mann;63809764]Too many variables to predict with confidence. Some say within 5 years if current climate trends and lack of serious remediation persists.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2022, 09:52 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Utah's government and local media have a little bit of a different perspective on local efforts to address Great Salt Lake evaporation and drought. I recommend taking a look at the numerous news articles that The Salt Lake Tribune has done on the article over the widely-shared, though important, article from The New York Times.

GOVERNOR'S OFFICE: UTAH’S ONGOING RESPONSE TO DROUGHT

Governor Spencer Cox's Twitter

Old 07-19-2022, 06:15 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,029,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Utah's government and local media have a little bit of a different perspective on local efforts to address Great Salt Lake evaporation and drought. I recommend taking a look at the numerous news articles that The Salt Lake Tribune has done on the article over the widely-shared, though important, article from The New York Times.

I'll believe it when I see serious demand-based water billing.

Old 07-21-2022, 11:21 AM

3,086 posts, read 2,215,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post

I agree with kletter1mann. Governor Cox is saying the right things but he is a politician - and it is anyway the Legislative leaders that run the State. So, watch for the actions and not the words. So far, there is no evidence of meaningful reforms in water consumption (and diversion from the Great Salt Lake) on the ground.

Old 07-22-2022, 11:20 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,029,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I agree with kletter1mann. Governor Cox is saying the right things but he is a politician - and it is anyway the Legislative leaders that run the State. So, watch for the actions and not the words. So far, there is no evidence of meaningful reforms in water consumption (and diversion from the Great Salt Lake) on the ground.
Bingo. I expect that real action won't occur until out-migration ramps up enough to impact housing values and those employers competing in the national labor pool - i.e., for the young people with brains - start having hiring and retention problems. I doubt it will take more than a couple years. Probably it's already in motion, or at least putting the brakes on expansion plans. The lake is now national news, thank you NYT. And the poobahs at Adobe certainly read the NYT.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:45 AM

43 posts, read 50,435 times
If you’re coming from Idaho it might not be too much of a stretch. You’ve got your share up there. You’ll be ok.

Old 12-28-2022, 09:53 AM

2,079 posts, read 1,123,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Bingo. I expect that real action won't occur until out-migration ramps up enough to impact housing values and those employers competing in the national labor pool - i.e., for the young people with brains - start having hiring and retention problems. I doubt it will take more than a couple years. Probably it's already in motion, or at least putting the brakes on expansion plans. The lake is now national news, thank you NYT. And the poobahs at Adobe certainly read the NYT.

The NYT article could have related a successful curbing of water consumption if the problem had been addressed years ago. The problem then, is that the ability to respond to this and other problems would make the city and state even more attractive to incomers, new consumers of the precious resource.

Old 12-30-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
The story captures the depth of commitment of Governor Cox administration as far as Great Salt Lake is concerned. His office of Public Lands Policy originally supported application to extend canals to siphon 100,000 gallons per minute from the Great Salt Lake. It did walk back its support once the project became public due to timely reporting by SL Tribune and a lot of adverse public comments followed.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/environm...e-now-opposes/

It is still huge progress that the office found its original support, once exposed to public daylight, untenable but the story demonstrates how deep the commitment of the Governor Cox or Utah politicians towards meaningfully addressing the challenges associated with the Great Salt Lake or environmental issues in general is.

Old 02-03-2023, 06:51 PM

2,474 posts, read 2,693,917 times
Sitting in SLC right now. The air quality is horrible. Brown cloud throughout the valley.

Old 02-19-2023, 12:38 PM

Back to the GSL problem - everyone should read the BYU study: Emergency measures needed to rescue Great Salt Lake from ongoing collapse https://pws.byu.edu/GSL%20report%202023

The situation is quite dire. At a high-level, we have:
  • Annual Water Gain: (1.6 MAF - Million Acre Feet)
    • 0.6 MAF - direct precipitation
    • 1 MAF - Runoff to the lake
  • Annual Water Loss: (2.8 MAF)
    • 2.6 MAF - Evaporation
    • 0.2 MAF - Mineral extraction
  • Annual Net Loss: 1.2 MAF
  • Total Water Consumption: 2.3 MAF
    • 74% in Agriculture
    • 8% in Reservoir loss
    • 9% cities and industry
    • 9% mineral extraction
  • Conclusion: The water consumption in the State of Utah will need to drop by 52% simply to stabilize the current level in the GSL. To increase it, we'd need more than that. So, the size of the problem is very formidable and in all likelihood the leadership of this State is not up to the task.
Obviously, the farming consumption has to go down by a very large factor to get anywhere and the political will and the resources to do that in the massive way required are simply not there. So, we should all the GSL to be dry and the only remaining question is when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area