Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which part of Salem Metro Area do you think is the best to live?
Silverton 4 33.33%
Keizer 1 8.33%
West Salem 1 8.33%
South Salem 5 41.67%
Monmouth-Independence 2 16.67%
Dallas 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 05:44 PM

62 posts, read 277,985 times

Advertisements

Hello, Oregonians!

I happen to be a Californian from Bay Area who will be relocating to Salem, OR for new job and to attend graduate school at Western Oregon University (WOU) in Monmouth. I'm fed up with insane cost of living and problems here in CA!

I have questions I would like to ask about Salem and surrounding areas such as Monmouth, Independence, Keizer, and Silverton.

Where are the best areas in Salem to rent a townhouse or a nice apartment with low crime rate and easy commutes to OR School for the Deaf and WOU in Monmouth? Any areas to avoid?

Are there many residential rentals in Monmouth, Independence, Keizer, and Silverton for more affordable living outside Salem if any?

Do you think Oregonians may be unfriendly towards me since I am from California where it would be hard for me to make friends? What is dating scene in Salem like for young singles?

Is Salem really humid with bad drug problems especially meth?

Is it easy to get used to alot of rain and gray in Salem?

I heard South Salem is the best area to live. Are there other highways that could go straight to Monmouth from South Salem without having to go through Salem to Rockrell then down to Monmouth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 05:56 PM

One more thing to add:

If anyone knows anything about Salem's Deaf Community and Oregon School for the Deaf, Episcopal churches in the area, or the academics at Western Oregon University, please feel free to share anything with me since I will be new to the area.

What are the pros/cons of living in the second largest city of Salem compared to living in other cities in Oregon?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:32 PM

15,597 posts, read 40,505,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCalif View Post

Where are the best areas in Salem to rent a townhouse or a nice apartment with low crime rate and easy commutes to OR School for the Deaf and WOU in Monmouth? Any areas to avoid?
The concept of best is relative. If you are going to be out at WOU, then your best bets are down south to take the Independence bridge over or out west so you are already over the bridge. The flats in West Salem have a higher crime rate.

Quote:
Are there many residential rentals in Monmouth, Independence, Keizer, and Silverton for more affordable living outside Salem if any?
Yes. Silverton won't be more affordable but Monmouth and Independence will be.

Quote:
Do you think Oregonians may be unfriendly towards me since I am from California where it would be hard for me to make friends? What is dating scene in Salem like for young singles?
They will be only unfriendly if you are rude. If you are a nice person, then you will be fine. The dating scene is not great. Salem is a good family city...not a great singles city.

Quote:
Is Salem really humid with bad drug problems especially meth?
Salem is not humid.

Yes we have meth here as do all Oregon cities. Bad is a relative concept. We might be better or worse than where you are from.

Quote:
Is it easy to get used to alot of rain and gray in Salem?
I'm a cool weather person so I had no problems adjusting. If you love hot climates like Arizona, you will probably struggle here.

Quote:
I heard South Salem is the best area to live. Are there other highways that could go straight to Monmouth from South Salem without having to go through Salem to Rockrell then down to Monmouth?
Yep you'll go over the Independence bridge. Follow River Road on a map and you'll see where it crosses the river.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:29 PM

Thanks for replying to my thread, Silverfall. Your shared information is very helpful and deeply appreciated.

I guess I will look for rentals in South Salem and maybe Monmouth & Independence if I find any. I doubt these two small towns would have many rentals except for some near WOU campus.

I'm very friendly, outgoing, and respectful so making friends in Oregon shouldn't be an issue for me.

I love mild, cool weather without humidity like San Francisco.

I think meth problems are everything but most places are better than CA, for sure! LOL!

As for dating scene, I'm sure there are plenty of single college students at WOU and I could always go to Portland for nightlife even though I heard Portland doesn't have good dating scene either.

Is that normal for Oregon even in Portland not to have good single dating scene since most people married early?

Anyway, I want to ask about grocery stores in Salem. I know there are 3 Fred Meyers that are part of Kroger Company I am currently working for here in CA. I could easily transfer from my job to Fred Meyers for a job until I started my new one in August.

Which Fred Meyer with Bakery in Salem is open 24/7 ?

Old 06-05-2010, 02:46 PM

15,597 posts, read 40,505,153 times
Quote:

Is that normal for Oregon even in Portland not to have good single dating scene since most people married early?
I don't think most people marry early, but Oregon is an outdoorsy place...not a nightlife kind of place. People move here because they want to kayak, hike, bike, etc...not go to clubs. Hence the lack of a good dating scene. Now...if you like those things we have lots of outdoor clubs to join. If you want to hang out in bars...not so much going on here.

Quote:

Which Fred Meyer with Bakery in Salem is open 24/7 ?
I'm not sure any of the Freddies are open 24/7 here. It would be a total waste of money to be open in the middle of the night in Salem since we really don't have the population to support that. I'd also be dubious if you can just transfer. We have a 10% unemployment rate here so I am guessing jobs are taken.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:42 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,078,805 times
I lived in the Bay Area for 10 years and moved to Eugene, OR for 2 years. The weather is VERY different. If you aren't used to rain and clouds it will be a shock. It didn't bother me too much because I was always busy, and I liked being out in the rain. Someone from San Francisco wouldn't be too surprised. Fremont almost never gets cloud or cold. However, the flip side is that there are many sunny days. When the sun comes out in winter, people cancel whatever plans they have and run outside for whatever outdoor activity they enjoy the most. I never spent much time in Salem. It's a small town, kind of sleepy. Portland is not far away and has a lot of things to see. Powell's Books is a great bookstore. I think you picked a good location for school. You are close enough to see everything around Portland and the coast and find some good hiking areas.

You don't need to worry about being from California. If you are polite, then other folks will be polite. You might find that many folks from Oregon keep their distance a bit, but they won't be rude. I think you would stand out more because you sign than because you are from California. I'd suppose that outside of Salem, you'll have fewer hearing people that sign and fewer deaf people as well? Once you go to a place like Portland, there would be a larger community.

What are you going to study, BTW?

Old 06-05-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I lived in the Bay Area for 10 years and moved to Eugene, OR for 2 years. The weather is VERY different. If you aren't used to rain and clouds it will be a shock. It didn't bother me too much because I was always busy, and I liked being out in the rain. Someone from San Francisco wouldn't be too surprised. Fremont almost never gets cloud or cold. However, the flip side is that there are many sunny days. When the sun comes out in winter, people cancel whatever plans they have and run outside for whatever outdoor activity they enjoy the most. I never spent much time in Salem. It's a small town, kind of sleepy. Portland is not far away and has a lot of things to see. Powell's Books is a great bookstore. I think you picked a good location for school. You are close enough to see everything around Portland and the coast and find some good hiking areas.

You don't need to worry about being from California. If you are polite, then other folks will be polite. You might find that many folks from Oregon keep their distance a bit, but they won't be rude. I think you would stand out more because you sign than because you are from California. I'd suppose that outside of Salem, you'll have fewer hearing people that sign and fewer deaf people as well? Once you go to a place like Portland, there would be a larger community.

What are you going to study, BTW?
I grew up in San Francisco so I am used to cool, foggy and cloudy weather so it won't be an issue for me plus I like rain as well.

When I went to Salem for a job interview and tour of Western Oregon University two months ago, I noticed it's kinda sleepy but very clean with alot of lush green. I wished I could stay longer to look around but I didn't have time.

By the way, I am not Deaf but I am certified Interpreter for the Deaf. I am just curious about Deaf community in Salem. I do not expect the community to be big as Fremont due to CA School for the Deaf-Fremont and the fact that the Bay Area is one of disabled-friendly areas in the country.

Anyway, I'm very excited about moving to Salem soon, working at Oregon School for the Deaf, and attending WOU majoring in Rehabilitation Counseling in Deafness.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:26 PM

899 posts, read 2,946,524 times
TJ
Welcome to oregon we came here 7 years ago via a motorhome but Suisun -Fairfield was home before that..You will enjoy the seasons up here..Winter is easy to take,rain coat, warm hat and gloves, umbrella always stays in the car..the other 3 seasons are nice too and you look forward to them.
One of our favorite things about living up here is the cherry, berries, peaches and corn and all other fresh veggies..Oh yum get hungry just thinking about them..
People are friendly a smile and hello goes a long way..that to us is something californians have forgotten how to do..
please keep us posted how you like it up here..
have a safe move too.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:24 PM

I already did some research about Oregon. I love the fact that there are no sale taxes in Oregon with just 9% income tax. That's not bad especially if you are coming from California.

Does no sale taxes apply to all sale taxes of purchasing or financing a vehicle, buying a house, clothing, food, and both prescription and non-prescription drugs?

I know we have to pay yearly taxes on vehicles called assessment. Would taxes on vehicle be considered as property tax or just personal property in Oregon? I am asking because each state is different.

I already found out that you have to get Oregon Driver's License, registering your vehicle, and get two Oregon car tags all within 30 days after the move-in date. Oregon is one of the states that do not require yearly vehicle inspection with inspection sticker on your window shield on driver's side unless I am wrong.

My poor brother got married and had to move all the way to Mississippi where you must pay sale taxes, income taxes, and get vehicle tags, decals, and inspection while dealing with endless humidity.

Back to Oregon point, I am used to earthquakes but not volcanoes though. I know volcanoes rarely happens but only lava can kill you not ashes because ashes are more like cloud of dust rather than hot, poisonious gas like those in Hawaii, right? If you stay inside or live very far away from volcanoes like in Salem, you will be fine plus lava will not go all the way to Salem, right?

Old 06-05-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
TJ
Welcome to oregon we came here 7 years ago via a motorhome but Suisun -Fairfield was home before that..You will enjoy the seasons up here..Winter is easy to take,rain coat, warm hat and gloves, umbrella always stays in the car..the other 3 seasons are nice too and you look forward to them.
One of our favorite things about living up here is the cherry, berries, peaches and corn and all other fresh veggies..Oh yum get hungry just thinking about them..
People are friendly a smile and hello goes a long way..that to us is something californians have forgotten how to do..
please keep us posted how you like it up here..
have a safe move too.
Thank you for welcoming me to Oregon already when I haven't even moved there yet! I'm glad that you still enjoy your life in Oregon. Yes, I am very familar with Fairfield; I have cousins living there. Really? I didn't know that California used to be friendly and I live here my entire life. It must be before my time because I'm only in my mid 20s. Again, thanks for your sweet welcome and I will most definitely keep you posted about my new life in Oregon soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem