Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 09:07 PM

29 posts, read 240,612 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting Oregon in the first week of January and I looking for places that my fiancee and I will be able to live without hearing constant gunshots and loud speaker systems in cars. I will be graduating from CSUSB in June and will be loooking for a job in environmental health. I figured areas near salem and portland would be our best bet. I do not want to live in the main part of the city, but I do not want to commute more then 45 minutes either. Any and all help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Christi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 09:32 AM

6 posts, read 59,803 times
I live in the SE section of Salem, probably the best area... avoid south near Lancaster Drive and North of dwontown area (unless you area meth dealer).

Old 12-18-2006, 01:48 PM

10 posts, read 73,338 times
Here are my suggestions for you:

Independence/Monmouth Area
Wilsonville
South Salem
West Salem
Silverton

All very nice places to live. Like the person above me said. Steer clear of Lancaster.

Good Luck
Monica

Old 01-17-2007, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 31,225 times
HI Christie,

I'm guessing you graduated CSU SanBernardino? We were born & raised in S.B., so I know what you mean about the gunshots, etc. You forgot the part about police copters flying over all hours of the night! We moved 20 yrs. ago to the central coast of Calif., but we are hoping to soon begin building on our lot in Independence, which I noticed is one of the small towns mentioned to you by another post. Both Indep./Monmouth are kinda funky & small. Dallas is nice too, quaint downtown--I've been there a couple times with friends to a great Mexican food restaurant, also a nice quilt shop.

K

Old 01-18-2007, 11:23 AM

23 posts, read 155,823 times
There are lots of nice neighborhoods in South Salem, but there are also many nice neighborhoods in north, NE and SE Salem, as well as Keizer. Which area you choose depends on what factors are most important to you, such as crime, schools, night life, transportation, rents/home prices, etc. Most available jobs in your area of expertise would probably be in Portland, Salem, Corvallis and Eugene, and there are a lot of other nice communities within 45 minutes drive of those cities. For NW Oregon (Salem, Portland and surrounding communities), you can find information about crime and schools throughout 5 Oregon counties in the Moving Guides as well as on the Other Resources on the web.

Last edited by Clear2land; 01-18-2007 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: Advertising Commercial Web Address

Old 01-19-2007, 12:53 AM

35 posts, read 354,611 times
Is the area near Williamette U cool?

As for the Original poster, I have been to SB many times, and I haven't heard any loud booming sounds in cars or gunshots.
Good luck on your relocation!

Old 03-23-2007, 12:03 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,469 times
The area near Willamette University is not that great--not the residential areas anyway. Ironically enough, the areas are quite poor and Willamette is a pricey, liberal private college. How's that for irony?!

Old 03-23-2007, 12:19 AM

2 posts, read 37,364 times
The area around Willamette is really nice. Its full of older homes. However, they can be a little more on the expensive side. The only drawback with that area, is that alot of the older homes have been purchased by doctors, lawyers, and other businesses, so many of the nice homes aren't homes at all. Another potential drawback can be in one weekend in July when the annual Salem Art Fair happens. This is a big event, and the entire area around the park will be filled with cars. It may prove difficult to leave your home that weekend. However, its only one weekend out of the whole year, so it can't be that bad right?

In regard to areas to live around Salem that are quiet... I would try living in South Salem, Southeast Salem... essentially anywhere South of Bush Park. West Salem is nice too. The only drawback is that if you have to do anything else besides grocery shopping, you'll have to drive across the Marion Street Bridge to get into town. The Marion Street Bridge can be quite dangerous and annoying if you drive on it at the wrong time.

I wouldn't live anywhere near Lancaster, the fairgrounds, or Portland Road. Much of the NE Salem neighborhood can be considered dangerous. But I understand there are some nicer areas. I've never lived in North Salem, so I'm not sure. I live in South Salem.

If you don't want the hustle and bustle of the city (although Salem neither hustles nor bustles) I would try living in one of the smaller cities close by:
-Dallas, about 20 miles west of Salem
-Monmouth, about 15 miles west of Salem
-Stayton, about 20 miles east of Salem
-Silverton, its really cute and they're rapidly improving the town to make it more inviting for tourists.

There are some smaller cities close by, but in my opinion they're a bit trashy. Avoid Falls City (near Dallas); Avoid Albany (it smells); and Avoid Turner (its a bit trashy too).

Kayla

Old 03-23-2007, 09:34 AM

26 posts, read 116,127 times
i live near lancaster drive and have no problem here plus my apt are on coral ave maybe its all the illegals coming here that are missing this city up not the street

Old 06-11-2007, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 30,734 times
Talking Keizer is great

I highly recommend Keizer, OR. I have lived here 6 years and for rush hour it is the easiest drive. Plus, we have a great new shopping mall called Keizer Station that is bringing our property values up. I was born here and would definitely agree that Lancaster Drive needs to be avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem