Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 02:22 PM

466 posts, read 1,065,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDavid View Post
Thank you for the responses thus far. Very helpful. I have identified a shortcoming of these posts in general, however. They don't identify the background of the persons responding. It would make a big difference to know if advice was coming from a 19-year-old who likes night-clubbing, or a 30-year-old liberal atheist Democrat who likes fly fishing and camping, or a 70-year-old Tea Party Republican who enjoys watching TV evangelists all day long.
That said, I'm encouraged about life in Salem by your responses. Thanks again.
You are so right. Because of that, you don't really know till you go there based on reviews here on the board. I done it and now I talk everything with a grain of salt. Because everybody has an opinion and wants to share it, no matter what... Often you don't even know if they live in the place you ask questions about, or maybe just went there for a couple of hours or drove through it. Lots of people in my experience want to help, but don't really know much about it except what they find on the net, like statistics and articles. Anyways, hope you found what you were looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 11:58 AM

14 posts, read 51,962 times
Default Local News Channel?

I moved to Salem about 2 yrs ago.... why isn't there a local news channel?? I've lived all over the country and never lived anywhere where there wasn't a local tv channel.... I really don't care to hear about Portland's traffic and their local news... unless there is really something huge going on in Salem it is never mentioned in the news.... it would be nice if there was local news and then I think this community would feel more connected with what is going on here in Salem.... after all, it is the capital of Oregon... and no local news!!

Old 06-18-2014, 12:36 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,392,832 times
The market is too close to Eugene to the south and Portland to the North to be granted a full power license by the FCC. It has always been this way. But Salem does indeed have a couple of TV Stations. Channel 32. Channel 17, Channel 27, Channel 36, Channel 21, and Channel 10. There are also reflectors for several Portland stations. KGW maintains a Salem Office and Studio.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:42 PM

95 posts, read 130,389 times
I am not a huge salem fan, I am in my mid thirties, with a family. I used to dislike it due to lack of things to do and shopping. Now I am older and I don't like.. not because it is Salem.. because it is Oregon.

I love Oregon, and everything it has to offer. I absolutely can not stand the rain. However I am here for a few more years min, so I suck it up.

We are on the West side, and I love it over here. It is a smaller town feel (different county), but still part of the city. There are some nicer area's out NE, but as noted above.. Lancaster is horrible. I stick to west and south, and basically avoid all other areas, other than going to Keizer Station.

When I was in my early 20's I lived in downtown Portland, and no matter the area of Portland or surrounding areas.. NO WAY. I would take Salem for sure. I also lived in Eugene prior to that (Go Ducks) and Eugene is totally in its own world. It is more of a way of life city. Either you are into their way, or not. But there are plenty of areas around there (springfield excluded) that are nice suburbs. Corvallis is too small, but a beautiful city.

For the most part, I know plenty of people who struggle with employment in Salem, seems to be a pretty large population of homeless people in the downtown area, which is a bit of an eye sore. But worse are the panhandlers on the bulk of the corners in the core of Salem.

As far as the valley goes, I suppose Salem is the only place I would live. If I had my choice and had to stay in Oregon, I would move to Redmond. Tho.. even less to do.. unless you factor in outdoor rec. Bend is a pretty hip city, has a ok/decent nightlife, but in general.. central oregon people are very outdoorsy.

Good luck!

Old 07-19-2014, 09:41 PM

793 posts, read 1,348,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
The market is too close to Eugene to the south and Portland to the North to be granted a full power license by the FCC. It has always been this way. But Salem does indeed have a couple of TV Stations. Channel 32. Channel 17, Channel 27, Channel 36, Channel 21, and Channel 10. There are also reflectors for several Portland stations. KGW maintains a Salem Office and Studio.
My husband and I are considering a move to central Oregon in a few years. We currently live in Maine, but my husband is a native Northern Californian. I'm sure I'll have many questions about Oregon as time goes on, but the above post reminded me of a question we have...Are central Oregonians able to view SF Giants and 49ers games on TV?

Of course, we won't make our decision on where to reside on this issue alone, but this seems like a good spot to pose this question.

Thanks.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:41 AM

899 posts, read 2,950,979 times
We are a couple who diehard Seahawk and 49er fans also go to see the Salem-Keizer Volcano's play ball in the summer.the Volcano's are a Giants farm club (A short season) and great fun to watch..To answer your question, when you get to the
point of city specific in central Oregon I would contact one of the local radio stations and ask them..they could give you the best answer.Here in Salem we get all of the Seahawk games and 99% of the 49er games we also have Direct tv..We are Mariner fan so don't watch the Giants but they are televised here..
hope they answers your question or at least helps...

Old 07-20-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
My husband and I are considering a move to central Oregon in a few years. We currently live in Maine, but my husband is a native Northern Californian. I'm sure I'll have many questions about Oregon as time goes on, but the above post reminded me of a question we have...Are central Oregonians able to view SF Giants and 49ers games on TV?

Of course, we won't make our decision on where to reside on this issue alone, but this seems like a good spot to pose this question.

Thanks.
Yes.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:20 PM

793 posts, read 1,348,355 times
Excellent.

mamh...I did stumble across info. on the Volcanoes in my research. We've been to a few minor league games in CA and here in New England. I agree. It's lots of fun, especially with kids.

Concerning professional baseball and football, would you say that more Oregonians root for S.F. bay area teams or Seattle teams? I imagine Oregon to be similar to Connecticut here on the east coast. Some folks root for Boston teams, some are NY fans.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:54 PM

899 posts, read 2,950,979 times
If numbers where known on how many were Hawk fans and 49er fans it would most likely be 45% of each and the other 10% a mix of Raider, Ram, Green Bay, San Diego, Denver fans, a lot depends on how teams are doing..We fly the 49er flag all season, yet I have a spelling of seahawk on my license plates..Hubbie and I have a ton of fun living threw all the ups and downs of our teams season..
I grew up down near SF with the 49ers but love my hawks..
We love watching the mariners but when we lived in Fairfield Ca went to quite a few Oakland games and always had a grand time.
Hope this answers your question.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:43 PM

We go for the Volcanos and SF. local. But I am a Seahawk fan too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem