Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 09:53 AM

14,570 posts, read 12,238,523 times

Advertisements

What are they getting in to do? Are these just inspections, or are they fixing things that need to be fixed and doing work that needs to be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 10:09 AM

15,484 posts, read 9,167,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You are changing the access mode to the dwelling. And it could turn into a potential issue with emergency services for you.
Good point about emergency services, but I still don't think the blocking the door would be a modification. I believe that modifications are generally something that is changed or attached to the property. Blocking the door is not changing or attaching anything, it's just blocking unreasonable and illegal access. Yes it would also block emergency access too. But I think emergency services would be able to deal with that.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:25 AM

6,355 posts, read 4,949,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Thanks. Good post. I'm not going to pick a fight with anybody. But I might consider that part about denying consent when necessary. I have considered, just getting a bar and barricading my door. If I don't see a notice and they try to unlock my door, they wouldn't be able to get in. Consent denied.
Followed by eviction.

Good luck with that.

Old 05-10-2024, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
What are they getting in to do? Are these just inspections, or are they fixing things that need to be fixed and doing work that needs to be done?
Generally with full inspections, they give a week or two of notice and warn to make sure that all necessary housekeeping is done by that time. But short notice is often given when they just want to come in to check a specific thing or to do a "requested" repair which I never requested. Examples, one time the manager gave a less than 24 hour notice to inspect the circuit breaker box. She replaced a couple missing blank plugs. Which is fine with me, but hardly seems like an emergency that can't wait to be done with other maintenance. Recently I got a less than 24 hour notice for a "requested" repair. I headed to the office to find out what that was about. They wanted to replace my dishwasher, which I had never requested be done. There was nothing wrong with my old dishwasher, but they seem to like to do stuff like that a lot. I guess it so the manager can show that she is doing something.

Old 05-10-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Good point about emergency services, but I still don't think the blocking the door would be a modification. I believe that modifications are generally something that is changed or attached to the property. Blocking the door is not changing or attaching anything, it's just blocking unreasonable and illegal access. Yes it would also block emergency access too. But I think emergency services would be able to deal with that.

When they come, regardless of notice, do they knock or ring the bell first, before opening the door? They should, on any place that might be occupied. Either way, I don't think you'd be out of bounds to put in a chain lock on the door, like they have in hotels. That way you can lock yourself in, and be sure that someone can't just open the door without at least giving you some warning.

Old 05-10-2024, 11:32 AM

107,008 posts, read 109,295,440 times
Quote:
if you change locks and the landlord can’t get in or you block the door and no one can get in it’s a modification unless approved by the landlord

Old 05-10-2024, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if you change locks and the landlord can’t get in or you block the door and no one can get in it’s a modification unless approved by the landlord

Every place I ever rented, I put a chain lock on the doors, on the inside.

I think that makes sense for OP to do for peace of mind, it would at least protect against surprise entries while OP is home.

That's not changing of the locks, and it doesn't really bar serious attempts to enter by any determined person. It just buys time for OP to be alerted someone is there, if they weren't expecting someone, and polite visitors will wait for OP to come and open.

Old 05-10-2024, 12:09 PM

107,008 posts, read 109,295,440 times
Quote:
Every place I ever rented, I put a chain lock on the doors, on the inside.

I think that makes sense for OP to do for peace of mind, it would at least protect against surprise entries while OP is home.
just because one does something they think is okay doesn’t mean it is .

when my son was in law school he had to sit in on nyc housing court .

the judge explained to them some of what they are going to see and the struggle judges can have between what is morally wrong vs having to uphold the law .

because we still have some rent controlled apartments left and some under market stabilized tenants left , lsndlords have been evicting them for such pettiness as changing a lighting fixture .

decades later when they are asked to put the original back and can’t get it the landlords bring eviction proceedings against them .

the judge explained to the class that while it’s is morally wro g to evict them , the fact is that is a modification and the lease states modifications are reasons for eviction

Old 05-10-2024, 12:30 PM

I understand that there are unreasonable people in the world who over-react, but I really try not to let them limit my own common sense. I think OP is just looking for some way to minimize anxiety about surprise entry.

A chain lock installed for safety on an apartment is a long way from suddenly being in eviction court. I would hope there would be a LOT of steps and alternatives between the two... but I think even in court, if I were unceremoniously put there with no opportunity to explain, I could justify it as a safety measure for someone living in an apartment in a dangerous world. I think some anxiety about lack of warning about entry is understandable under the circumstances.

The OP says they have never complained, and would never. There's been no indication, at least here, that the landlord is unhappy or that the tenant has a history of being difficult or they're looking for a reason to evict. Let's not assume the landlord would head straight to eviction court over this. If that's a real concern, then fine, OP - ask if you can install a chain lock on the door for security. Don't say or make it about them, it's just a basic safety concern.

Old 05-11-2024, 05:48 AM

Quote:
When they come, regardless of notice, do they knock or ring the bell first, before opening the door? They should, on any place that might be occupied. Either way, I don't think you'd be out of bounds to put in a chain lock on the door, like they have in hotels. That way you can lock yourself in, and be sure that someone can't just open the door without at least giving you some warning.
They knock four times, then open the door and then they yell like cops doing a no knock raid. The chain was removed from my door before I moved in. All that is left is the screw holes. Putting a chain on the door would definitely be an alteration that would get me written up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting