Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 07:52 AM

439 posts, read 520,717 times

Advertisements

I live in a room-for rent scenario - the same scenario as before...https://www.city-data.com/forum/renti...room-rent.html

I have been trying to hold old until Christmas break so I can *get the heck out of here* I actually want to move to Canada now (no joke) because of....but it will take 1- 2 months preparation (min) for my job. I'm already a citizen.

I filed to get a anti-harassment order against another tenant in the house. I injured my foot mid-Oct. It would be hard for me to move *at this moment* because of my foot. I wanted to make sure I was safe.

Unfortunately, the Landlady found out about the Order of Protection (anti-harassment order) I filed against the other tenant and now she is involved. (disclaimer: I know it's kind of loser thing to do - the easier thing would've been to move. but I'm lame, literally.)

I didn't request that the other tenant be removed from the home, I just specified that she stay out of my bedroom (she has walked into my bedroom before, and refused to leave), and she stop throwing my stuff, etc. The specific words were

"No photos of me in the common area, esp. when I'm wearing sports clothing. No throwing my stuff, no stealing my stuff, no verbal abuse. No making poison, "peach pit poison" No spraying of air fresheners in common area so I can't use the common area" No contact. Exclude from my bedroom. Surrender Firearms.

She had been taking photos of me in the common area, when I was scantily clad, for no reason other than she didn't want me to use the common area (harassment) when I was doing normal things like eating or studying; she's a treat. Unless they're on some website that I do not know about. The other things are mentioned as well.

Because of the suspicious behavior of my roommate, I got a cheap nanny cam ($150) and it's in the kitchen.

//Fast forward//

I contacted the Landlady many times, btw, but she has refused to throw my harasser out. Or do anything about the situation.

Fun fact: I learned, on the same day that I was serving the papers to the other tenant, that last year there was a man who was living here. He had a drug problem. He also - not kidding - was bringing male and female prostitutes into the house. He also had a girlfriend who did drugs. One day another tenant walked into the bathroom and walked in on him having sex with a male prostitute. The tenant *beat up* the other tenant. He called 911. When the cops showed up, they found drugs, prostitute, and battery. At this time, the other tenants also learned that he had previous criminal record...

I tell this story because, the landlady will not kick anyone out (except me, probably) If I could just hold out until Christmas break, I would have enough time to move.

I pay almost $700/month for a room.

The Landlady turned off the electricity (breaker?) for my bedroom (which also includes the kitchen) last night so I would call her. I had to move my food. On the nanny cam I saw the electricity was working at 6pm. I was gone all day - actually having coffee with a some friends (one is a lawyer).

How does she turn off my breaker? She wants me to move into another house the is $900/month, with four men (that sounds like a ________) I'm not gonna move to another house with her as the landlady.

If I had access to the circuit board I could just flip it on. I'm concerned that she's going to say I "broke it" I wasn't home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 07:58 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,866,520 times
I would call the police and see what they say, tell them she turned off your electricity as retribution.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:05 AM

3,446 posts, read 4,747,714 times
You seriously need to consult with an attorney on this whole situation and ongoing drama. (or better yet, ask your attorney friend for advice or who to contact). No one here can help you. You need to find a legal source who knows your state rental laws inside and out and who can sort out all of the details, etc and suggest a plan of action.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:38 PM

13,943 posts, read 39,470,645 times
Does the Nanny Cam show the LL in the home Turning Off the Breaker? Breakers can be tripped easy. Mine trips 1/2 the time the Microwave is used. I cant see anyone wanting to turn off a breaker that controls use of Kitchen.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:41 PM

5,492 posts, read 3,578,891 times
Did the roommate steal your tupperware again?

Old 11-17-2016, 10:47 PM

983 posts, read 1,190,403 times
OMG !!

Buckle up kiddos .... we are headed for round 2

Old 11-18-2016, 10:46 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,428,304 times
I would move.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:34 PM

539 posts, read 571,816 times
Here we go again.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:09 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,336,668 times
It is unfair of you to manipulate the legal system simply because it is inconvenient for you to move. You are essentially trying to control your LL and the other tenant when you are the one who is dissatisfied with living there.

I wonder if it is legal for you to have a nanny cam in the common area, unless you make the other tenant aware it is in use. How can you think that is ok, and try to use the roommate taking pics of you in the common area as a ruse to get an order against her. Don't be scantily dressed in common areas.

I think you should move now. You are doing no one a favor by railroading the LL and keeping this dramatic situation going.

I am familiar with your other thread. The whole situation should have ended months ago. You have continued to volunteer to remain in this position. Anyone with common sense would have left.

What does what happened with previous renters last year have to do with your situation?? Stop living off the drama...it isn't good for you emotionally....it becomes like an addiction and in that addiction you begin to perpetuate drama like a fix.

Be rational and take yourself out of this equation asap.

Last edited by JanND; 11-23-2016 at 11:22 PM..

Old 12-03-2016, 12:05 PM

439 posts, read 520,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I would call the police and see what they say, tell them she turned off your electricity as retribution.
Thank you, I did actually end up phoning 911 that night. The Sheriff (we are outside of the city limits, so don't deal with city police) called her, but I'm not sure if she even answered. They were sympathetic to my cause. Electricity was working in all of the other rooms in the house, it was only turned off in my bedroom and the kitchen we have downstairs, so I'm guessing they are on the same circuit.

As far as electricity being restored, she finally did - 4 days later. The scenario behind this was almost laughable. She only "fixed" the electricity when I reminded her, for the second time, that she would owe me $100 per day, plus fees. Suddenly, she told me she would see if someone was available to "fix" the electricy just then...10:49pm on a Saturday. You've gotta be kidding me!

I called 911 multiple times. It turns out this woman has an extensive criminal background, I just learned this yesterday. I was kind of in shock. I only have 2 of the 14 records, one is domestic violence just last year (2015) and the other is a felony back in 2011. I don't have the other court records, but I requested more of them. One was recently filed in Oct. 2016, so I'm curious as to what charge that is. The mailman is even familiar with her because I sent my rent check certified mail to her house, she refused to sign for it, I talked to him.

She is violating *many* laws in the landlord-tenant act. Not giving 48-hour notice to enter property, to name one. Also, she never listed her legal name, I had to look this up on tax records. She also never listed an address. Again, I had to look this up on tax records. She doesn't own the property, but she is the representative. She is purposely being very evasive. It's like she doesn't want me to take her to court. Once I learned her legal name, I could access the other times she has been taken to court. I thought they were lawsuits from tenants, no, they are criminal charges.

I've had to call 911 multiple times. I said "enough is enough" and decided to get Protection Order #2. Judge wouldn't grant it without a trial. Um, I've called 911 multiple times, landlady is clearly harassing, she has been arrested 14 times while I have no criminal background at all...she has violated multiple things in the landlord-tenant act.

Judge still won't grant a protection order without her being present to argue her case. And I'm missing out...how much of work?? Doesn't matter to the landlady to go to court.. BEING A PROFESSIONAL CON ARTIST, APPARENTLY SHE HAS FLEXIBLE HOURS TO ATTEND COURT DATES. Screw my time.

Talk about being a landlord-friendly state! He thinks I could be getting "retribution" on her because if the protection order goes through, I would be automatically refunded my security deposit ($300!) when I move out. Least of my worries right now, brah! I'm more concerned about her running me off the side of the road...

A couple months ago, someone suggested that they were having trouble finding an apartment because they had a prior felony https://www.city-data.com/forum/renti...nting.html...I have a suggestion for you to find a roof over your head: become a property manager!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting