Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:49 AM

13,658 posts, read 7,968,055 times

Advertisements

The spirit of the 1960s was one of revolutionary change and an ushering in of perceived progress both in politics and religion the world over.

Is that spirit dying out as the generation that ushered it in dies out? Has the 60s generation failed to pass that spirit on to their progeny?

The AP put out an interesting piece the other day entitled 'A step back in time': America's Catholic Church sees an immense shift toward the old ways

Here's a link to the article and an excerpt:

The progressive priests who dominated the U.S. church in the years after Vatican II are now in their 70s and 80s. Many are retired. Some are dead. Younger priests, surveys show, are far more conservative.

“They say they’re trying to restore what us old guys ruined,” said the Rev. John Forliti, 87, a retired Twin Cities priest who fought for civil rights and reforms in Catholic school sex education.

Doug Koesel, an outspoken 72-year-old priest at Blessed Trinity Parish in Cleveland, was blunter: “They’re just waiting for us to die.”

As anyone here familiar with my posts knows, I'm unabashedly a member of the 'younger' generation looking to bring back moral rigidity, monarchies, inquisitions, and the like. I just hope my generation does a better job of 'passing on the torch', so to speak, to create some real staying power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:04 AM

16,698 posts, read 15,697,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

<<snip>>

As anyone here familiar with my posts knows, I'm unabashedly a member of the 'younger' generation looking to bring back moral rigidity, monarchies, inquisitions, and the like. I just hope my generation does a better job of 'passing on the torch', so to speak, to create some real staying power.

You want to "bring back moral rigidity, monarchies, inquisitions, and the like." That's really all we need to know.

Moral rigidity never works.

Monarchies are terrible forms of government. Fortunately, we live in a country organized by a Constitution.

That you want to bring back inquisitions tells us what kind of moral principles you hold.

You could have been more honest and told everybody that you actually believe that the United States should be governed by a Catholic monarchy. So much for "Freedom Of Religion."

Old Today, 10:16 AM

33,295 posts, read 26,494,624 times
Thank God the RCC will never again have political power. Separation of church and state is the way to go.

Old Today, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You could have been more honest and told everybody that you actually believe that the United States should be governed by a Catholic monarchy. So much for "Freedom Of Religion."
Of course I am opposed to the US Constitution and freedom of religion. I have stated this before and make no secret of it. Why do you think I'm being dishonest?

Old Today, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Thank God the RCC will never again have political power. Separation of church and state is the way to go.
"Never" sure is a long time.

My children are being raised to oppose separation of church and state/secularism. What are your children being raised to believe?

Old Today, 10:29 AM

50,891 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
And the opening post of this thread is all the evidence we need of that!

Old Today, 10:30 AM

50,891 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
Of course I am opposed to the US Constitution and freedom of religion. I have stated this before and make no secret of it. Why do you think I'm being dishonest?
I don't think you're being dishonest. But I don't think you're an American.

Old Today, 11:04 AM

33,295 posts, read 26,494,624 times
Quote:
DANG!!!

Old Today, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think you're being dishonest. But I don't think you're an American.
I may not conform to your idea of a *good* American; but I was born here, have always lived here, and have just as much rights of citizenship as you have.

Maybe one day me and my offspring will vote away your democracy

Or maybe your offspring will outnumber mine?

Old Today, 11:13 AM

I'd be interested to hear any responses to the actual article or to my questions posed in the OP, as opposed to personal quips.

Too much to ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality