Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 10:53 AM

164 posts, read 87,055 times

Advertisements

I keep telling people this all. the. time! What this man says is sooo true!

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRPTLAGJ/

In the video, the man tells the story of a psychology experiment where they drew a scar on some people's face and show it to them in the mirror. Then they touch it up a little and then send the people out to interact with people who didn't know the experiment was happening. Afterwards they brought the people back in and asked them how it went. Most of them said how the conversation was awkward and they thought people were looking at their scar and how they felt like the conversation was affected by the people seeing their scar. But in reality when they touched up the scar, they really had erased it completely but the people still thought they had the scar. The people who thought the scar was still there imaged or perceived that the scar was affecting their conversation or rapport with the people. It shows how your perception of how you think people see you can actually make you think you see things that are not really there. It's very interesting.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-08-2022 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: Merged OP's 2nd post (synopsis) into opening post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 04:00 AM

15,953 posts, read 12,359,843 times
My coworker buddy suffers from this badly. His father was all about public image and did much of the same...would create scenarios in his head about what people were saying about him and his thoughts were and are his worst enemy.

They both also lie badly and embellish stories to make their lives look more exciting. No matter what topic you bring up they feel the need to make it seem like they've done better, more exciting things. With a bit of knowledge it's easy to call them out on their lies.

I confronted him about this and he's making an active effort to change these bad habits his father taught him. Nobody confronted him about his lying until me...they'd just talk about him behind his back. Minnesota nice.

These are all defense mechanisms insecure people employ. We don't like to feel like we are different or being judged by others except for those small minority who DGAF. You wouldn't think a facial scar would be a big deal. Interesting experiment.

Old 09-08-2022, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
My coworker buddy suffers from this badly. His father was all about public image and did much of the same...would create scenarios in his head about what people were saying about him and his thoughts were and are his worst enemy.

They both also lie badly and embellish stories to make their lives look more exciting. No matter what topic you bring up they feel the need to make it seem like they've done better, more exciting things. With a bit of knowledge it's easy to call them out on their lies.

I confronted him about this and he's making an active effort to change these bad habits his father taught him. Nobody confronted him about his lying until me...they'd just talk about him behind his back. Minnesota nice.

These are all defense mechanisms insecure people employ. We don't like to feel like we are different or being judged by others except for those small minority who DGAF. You wouldn't think a facial scar would be a big deal. Interesting experiment.

Yes that is so true! We can be our own worst enemy a LOT and not even know it! I totally agree. I'm glad you told your friend the truth!

Old 09-08-2022, 08:59 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,490,438 times
Also didn't watch the video, so tell me if I'm understanding correctly:

The people responsible for makeup applied the makeup, showed the person the scar, but lied about touching up the scar before sending the person out talk to people (leaving them with the impression that they still had a scar)? Did they not show the person what their face looked like after "touching up" the scar?

Old 09-08-2022, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Also didn't watch the video, so tell me if I'm understanding correctly:

The people responsible for makeup applied the makeup, showed the person the scar, but lied about touching up the scar before sending the person out talk to people (leaving them with the impression that they still had a scar)? Did they not show the person what their face looked like after "touching up" the scar?

Right exactly. They drew the scar and showed them in the mirror. Then when they were about to go out to talk to people said they were going to touch it up a little and really wiped it off but didn't show them in the mirror that time, so they thought the scar was still there and went out to talk with people. Since they thought the scar was still there, they imagined how the scar was affecting the other people and the conversation. They thought the scar made things awkward and made the other people uncomfortable. So they came away feeling like the interaction wasn't that good because of the scar. But there really was no scar there. So whatever they were feeling, it wasn't from a scar. So how they felt people viewed them, affected how they perceived the interaction. It was very interesting.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:32 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,490,438 times
Thanks for clarifying. I typed other comments but deleted the post due to other member comments being removed. The Gotcha Police are always working. That O/T must be good.

Old 09-09-2022, 08:07 AM

5,764 posts, read 3,260,128 times
I remember a while back, in one of the forums, maybe the beauty forum, there was a discussion on scars, moles, etc. I remember thinking how I have a couple of scars and a mole in some prominent places, but I've never been self-concious about them. Maybe because most of them, I've had most of my life.

I have a keloid scar on my arm from a vaccine, and a 'beauty mark' ala Marilyn Monroe, and then another mole on my clavicle. Scars from scrapes and cuts as a kid...and none of them have made me reticent. BUT, a lot of people DID feel self conscious about their various "marks of individuality".

My ex husband's mother had fallen in to a bonfire when she was a little girl. She received third degree burns up and down her neck, across her chest and one of her shoulders, and partially down one arm. Obviously, I didn't meet her until much later in life...but apparently she had been self conscious of her scars for most of her life. She hated having her picture taken because of her scars. Of course her scars were worse than anything I had...except...I honestly truly didn't notice her scars until she pointed them out to me, and told me the story of how she got them. What I always noticed were her piercing beautiful blue/green eyes, and how her son (my husband) got his good looks from her.

Old 09-09-2022, 08:40 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,592,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Scheidegger View Post
I keep telling people this all. the. time! What this man says is sooo true!

In the video, the man tells the story of a psychology experiment where they drew a scar ... It shows how your perception of how you think people see you can actually make you think you see things that are not really there. It's very interesting.
Imagine if they'd colored him black or brown.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:34 AM

37,332 posts, read 60,098,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Scheidegger View Post
Right exactly. They drew the scar and showed them in the mirror. Then when they were about to go out to talk to people said they were going to touch it up a little and really wiped it off but didn't show them in the mirror that time, so they thought the scar was still there and went out to talk with people. Since they thought the scar was still there, they imagined how the scar was affecting the other people and the conversation. They thought the scar made things awkward and made the other people uncomfortable. So they came away feeling like the interaction wasn't that good because of the scar. But there really was no scar there. So whatever they were feeling, it wasn't from a scar. So how they felt people viewed them, affected how they perceived the interaction. It was very interesting.
I think people would be checking to see how it looked in windows or other reflective surfaces
I don’t know if this sounds as plausible as you relate it

Old 09-09-2022, 10:50 AM

5,764 posts, read 3,260,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I think people would be checking to see how it looked in windows or other reflective surfaces
I don’t know if this sounds as plausible as you relate it
It could be, as part of the experiment, that certain people were 'placed' in strategic places to talk to the test subjects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology