Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 12:15 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,308,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am sure I would be just as happy as I am now if my parents would have given me money and cars and I did not have to live in the hood in Oxnard where I could have died because of stray bullets or raped or robbed or shot for having $10 on me.

I was pretty oblivious to how dangerous my area really is until I did a ride along with a cop. He educated me on what's going on and that I should be more careful, especially not walking my dog at night. I asked him how he knows that - he said everyone working in that area knows me - I stick out because I am the only white, tall woman who walks a dog at night.
Happiness is not the same thing as ambition.

In high school, one of my friends parents owned a bank and they sold it to Wells Fargo for 40 million dollars. At the time I was really envious, thinking he could do pretty much anything he wanted. But the money didn't seem to make him real happy. Careerwise he hasn't really done much at all. His parents bought him a house and a car. He has been in and out of rehab. He doesn't trust women because he thinks they are after his money. He is wealthy, but his wealth hasn't made him happy. He lacked purpose, he lacked ambition. Guys really though do seem to need purpose.

But that is one of the things that had me wondering where does ambition come from? To me, I think that there is an element of it comes from how we spring back from adversity. You need a certain amount of adversity to motivate you to change. Too little adversity, you flounder, too much you are overwhelmed and give up. But up to a certain point more adversity mostly just means more motivation. Cockroaches and homeless guys sleeping in my parking spot in Santa Monica was both challenging for me, but also really motivating me. I really wanted out of that situation and that experience really focused my attention.

But to be fair, one of the reasons I ended up moving to Sacramento and away from Coastal California was that I thought it was much easier getting ahead outside of Coastal California. What you spent on your house to live in the hood in Oxnard, probably would have gotten you into a much better neighborhood in Sacramento and if you moved out to say Texas an even better neighborhood than what you found in Sacramento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Just because you are poor or lost everything doesn't mean you cannot be neat/clean/organized. You can mow your lawn. Pick the weeds. You can pull your trash cans in. You don't have to throw trash in the gutter when you come from work and park your car on the street. And I will never understand why people collect junk cars in their yard.

My neighbors put a couch outside on their driveway. Why they f... did they not just throw it away aka have it hauled away for free? After a few months a cat gave birth in it and afterwards there were rats living in it. It annoyed the hell out of me to come home every day and see that ugly thing there. And no, they were not foreigners, they weren't white but they were born and raised in the US, worked normal jobs and completely capable of calling the city to have it hauled off. One day I saw them outside and told them there is a free haul away service. They nodded and walked off.
I do agree with you completely on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 12:22 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post

But to be fair, one of the reasons I ended up moving to Sacramento and away from Coastal California was that I thought it was much easier getting ahead outside of Coastal California. What you spent on your house to live in the hood in Oxnard, probably would have gotten you into a much better neighborhood in Sacramento and if you moved out to say Texas an even better neighborhood than what you found in Sacramento.
yes, 100%.

Or I could have just moved into a nicer condo. But I wanted the American dream, the house. Without having to have to eat soup for 10 years. I did not realize how bad a "hood" can actually be.

However, I made the best out of it without breaking the budget. I rented out rooms. Paid it off within 10 years and sold it for almost double. I walked away as a half millionaire after 10 years. Totally worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology