Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 08:51 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
There is no such thing as someone speaking without an accent. If it sounds to you like they don't have an accent, that simply means they are speaking the same or similar accent that you yourself speak.
Hmm...so a person who speaks with a flat monotone ...has an accent ? Ben Stein seems to carry a base vernacular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 09:02 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Something that drives me a little nuts: When people pronounce one syllable words as if they're 2 syllable words. Example: "OMG! You saw it to-o?" "My favorite cereal is corn fla-akes."

It bugs me.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:42 AM

13,706 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Because of this thread, I videoed myself just talking about random stuff this morning, for 2, maybe 3 minutes, to see if I could detect an accent in myself. I could not.

I think we just become acclimated to our environment, and it just kind of magically happens.

Now...I know people who, when they get around a different accent, they kind of pick up that accent right away. They're not faking...they just naturally pick up the accent really quickly...like in an afternoon, or a day. My mom being one of them.
Funny, I never thought my family had Chicago accents (or me.) I lived in Minnesota for almost a decade; I noticed the MN accent there but never noticed a Chicago accent when I came home; I suppose it's because they were similar enough. I moved to North Carolina, when I go home and am around my family it sounds like they're in the SNL Superfan skit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
It is said that the voice for (modern) radio and television is a midwestern accent, but visit the midwest and that couldn't be further from the truth. Barring any early examples (transatlantic) the current accent - which no one is born with, they are COACHED - puts a heavy damper on "taking liberty with your vowels" as is prevalent in many regional "at home" dialects.
I'd disagree. What part of the midwest? MN, the Dakotas, have a distinctive regional accent. Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee, have a distinctive accent (think Bill Swerski's Superfans.) Typically the more working class the heavier the accent.

Much of the area From Columbus, OH, Indianapolis, Champaign IL, Ottumwa Iowa, Omaha, all have an approximation of what you'd hear on a broadcast.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:04 AM

13,706 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Hmm...so a person who speaks with a flat monotone ...has an accent ? Ben Stein seems to carry a base vernacular.
Ben Stein has an accent. He's flat monotone, but he has (to my ear) a vaguely New York/Northeastern accent.

You can speak in a flat monotone with a British accent, Southern Accent, whatever.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:11 AM

8,052 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Usually people have accents. Well except the TV anchors. It’s so strange to talk to someone with no accent. Or maybe it’s just me.
In the U.S. if you have a "white, middle class, college educated" accent then you have no accent.

If you go to New York, Boston, Philly, and you talk to working class white people you can hear the accents. Obviously if you go to working class black areas or rural/small town white working class areas you'll hear the accents, too.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:27 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Something that drives me a little nuts: When people pronounce one syllable words as if they're 2 syllable words. Example: "OMG! You saw it to-o?" "My favorite cereal is corn fla-akes."

It bugs me.
LOL, I am not sure I've ever heard anyone speak that way!

Old 02-04-2021, 10:30 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I remember people in Minnesota being angry at the way their speech was portrayed in the movie, Fargo, but then I was watching a true crime show, and they interviewed a man in Minnesota who had found a body in the woods near his home, and he sounded EXACTLY like the people in Fargo.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:03 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I remember people in Minnesota being angry at the way their speech was portrayed in the movie, Fargo, but then I was watching a true crime show, and they interviewed a man in Minnesota who had found a body in the woods near his home, and he sounded EXACTLY like the people in Fargo.
That is understandable. We Californians HATED the stereotype of "Valley Girl" speech, but there really were people who sounded like that.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:13 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, I am not sure I've ever heard anyone speak that way!
I have. It is very strange. Three siblings spoke this way (but their parents didn't). All three were home schooled and had very little outside socialization other than within their own family group. I could never figure out what made them speak that way because the biggest influencers of their "accent," I would think, would be their parents.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:19 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Funny, I never thought my family had Chicago accents (or me.) I lived in Minnesota for almost a decade; I noticed the MN accent there but never noticed a Chicago accent when I came home; I suppose it's because they were similar enough. I moved to North Carolina, when I go home and am around my family it sounds like they're in the SNL Superfan skit.

I'd disagree. What part of the midwest? MN, the Dakotas, have a distinctive regional accent. Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee, have a distinctive accent (think Bill Swerski's Superfans.) Typically the more working class the heavier the accent.

Much of the area From Columbus, OH, Indianapolis, Champaign IL, Ottumwa Iowa, Omaha, all have an approximation of what you'd hear on a broadcast.

I used to have a job, where it was part of my duties to call around the country and get tax information. I could definitely tell a Minnesota accent, and the Dakota accents. I think those two are based off their Swedish heritage. And what I called "The Cook County Accent" along with the Massachusettes accent, and the New York accent.

Also, there's various Missouri accents. I can tell the difference between various St. Louis accents, and I can tell Jefferson County accents, and I can tell the accents of people from southern Missouri. And, most of my relatives are from Oklahoma (as well as my parents) so I can tell an Oklahoma accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology