Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 08:29 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,020 times

Advertisements

^ Yes, I am all for people moving out there to give the off grid lifestyle a try, it truly is a special life changing place, but you shouldn't buy out there hoping it gets developed or to make money.... Not to say it can't happen, but it is highly unlikely to happen anytime soon. The views from my parcel nearby still haunt me in my dreams and maybe I'll return full time someday, but I am not trying to make any money out there. If anything I will lose money and be lucky to break even.

If Fengxg would camp out on his land for an extended period of time, he would likely learn a lot about the area and develop a love for the place that extends beyond making money or hoping Ash Fork takes off as some sort of miracle boomtown. Anyone that tells you that Ash Fork properties are about to rise significantly has a vested interest in telling you so or is overly optimistic and doesn't understand the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 08:17 AM

7,501 posts, read 4,348,215 times
6.7traveler:
I've always wanted to live in Arizona, but before we moved we spent a lot of time picking out several locations throughout the state. Until we found a community that would best suit our needs and what we could afford. I never even considered speculating on whether I could make a profit or not. Just as I never considered making money on the cars I restored and still own. The house to me is a place to live, the cars are there to enjoy. I have no intentions of selling either. You really have to know what you are doing buying land, flipping houses, and cars in order to make a profit. Even then you can get royally screwed. Restoring cars was for personal satisfaction and for the love of the cars which if I hadn't done the work I couldn't afford otherwise. Still considering the time I put into them I could never get my money back. That being said, money can't buy the pleasure of owning and driving them. Or seeing the reactions of people seeing them, even little children who smile and point upon seeing vintage cars of the 30's. The same can be said if one buys land for the purpose of enjoying it's natural beauty and uses it for their own recreational purposes. Hell, they should just build a cabin there and use it as a vacation home.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:57 PM

472 posts, read 668,106 times
Thanks guys. I love to have a nice cottage on the great high desert of northern Arizona as a hide off place from reality. However, life is hard and I am not ready to retire yet. Have to pay off kids college tuition and save some money for myself. When I get old, I need to live near some facilities and have something to do. There are some really nice people in this area, very friendly. I really wish northern Arizona can attract more people and have a small town and facilities as hospital, coffee shop, bar, and movie theater. It might not happen, but thanks all of you!

Old 01-18-2015, 09:02 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,692 times
I want to live in the middle of nowhere off the grid on my own with gorgeous views and breathtaking sunsets and have easy access to hospitals, coffee shops, bars and a movie theater.

When somebody finds such a place, please PM me.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:45 AM

fengxg:
Quote:
I really wish northern Arizona can attract more people and have a small town and facilities as hospital, coffee shop, bar, and movie theater.
There are plenty of places throughout Arizona where you will find that. If I could afford to buy some extra property I would, not necessarily to live on but to preserve it and keep it as is. Wouldn't mind owning another piece of the rock so to speak. Who know's? You might be able to build that cottage once you retire and live elsewhere in the state for the amenities you desire. I don't know how old you are, where you live now and whether you own your home there. Assuming your house will be paid off, along with the kid's college tuition by the time you retire it may be possible for you to live here and achieve your dreams. Life can be hard at times but if you plan for the future and put your mind to it, it's only temporary. Arizona is a great place to live. I sincerely wish you the best of luck!

Old 01-18-2015, 09:55 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,215,995 times
Chino Valley and Paulden are small towns without the hospitals nearby but medical clinic and no movie theatre but easy access, 35 minutes drive. Paulden is a small community, with a active community center. There are probably bars that everyone knows your name.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:36 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinpretty View Post
Chino Valley and Paulden are small towns without the hospitals nearby but medical clinic and no movie theatre but easy access, 35 minutes drive. Paulden is a small community, with a active community center. There are probably bars that everyone knows your name.
When the new 4 lane road is completed I think the drive time will be shortened to 20-25 minutes from Chino Valley

Last edited by autism360; 01-18-2015 at 02:19 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 06:42 PM

119 posts, read 232,514 times
the truck stop in Ash Fork was dropped at request of residents who objected to having big trucks raising dust and noisy at all hours of day and night . they were glad to see Ted's finally fold up and leave town .

Old 01-22-2015, 03:50 PM

Ash Fork Rat:
Quote:
the truck stop in Ash Fork was dropped at request of residents who objected to having big trucks raising dust and noisy at all hours of day and night . they were glad to see Ted's finally fold up and leave town .
I can understand that. Thank God the residents had their say.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:21 PM

472 posts, read 668,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Ash Fork Rat:

I can understand that. Thank God the residents had their say.

The truck stop can bring in good business, just make it a little further from residency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott