Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 03:46 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times

Advertisements

Yeah! a strip club thread.

First of all Portland is quantity over quality. I have never seen so many women that should have not been on the stage in my life. That's sexist and piggish, but see, if they are going to take their clothes off for strange men I say it's fair game.
I have been to 4 strip clubs here for a bachelors party. Union Jacks, Blush, Acropolis, and Dolphin. None of them were any good. Terrible music.... terrible dancing, ugly strippers, expensive drinks.

I think the strip club thing works for many reasons. The reasons Oregonwoodsmoke mentioned are key. But it's also demographics and culture. Men out number women 1.04 to 1 that's a very high ratio of men to women, almost as bad as AK or the ND oil fields they are at 1.07 and 1.08 to 1 respectively. Most states are 1:1 or slightly favor women. Also, those men tend to be single since Oregon, tends to a place where marriage and religion are not priorities. So out of 4 million people 160,000 more are male and they tend to congregate in Portland, though not necessarily their residence.

Also, don't believe the hype. Portland's strip clubs rarely have any kind of longevity, patrons don't tend to be loyal. Blush and Dolphin have shut down several times. Also, remember high unemployment equals men with free time combine that with one of the highest weekly unemployment rates in the country and you can just live with the roomies and hang out at the bar or strip club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 04:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Yeah! a strip club thread.

First of all Portland is quantity over quality. I have never seen so many women that should have not been on the stage in my life. That's sexist and piggish, but see, if they are going to take their clothes off for strange men I say it's fair game.
I have been to 4 strip clubs here for a bachelors party. Union Jacks, Blush, Acropolis, and Dolphin. None of them were any good. Terrible music.... terrible dancing, ugly strippers, expensive drinks.

I think the strip club thing works for many reasons. The reasons Oregonwoodsmoke mentioned are key. But it's also demographics and culture. Men out number women 1.04 to 1 that's a very high ratio of men to women, almost as bad as AK or the ND oil fields they are at 1.07 and 1.08 to 1 respectively. Most states are 1:1 or slightly favor women. Also, those men tend to be single since Oregon, tends to a place where marriage and religion are not priorities. So out of 4 million people 160,000 more are male and they tend to congregate in Portland, though not necessarily their residence.

Also, don't believe the hype. Portland's strip clubs rarely have any kind of longevity, patrons don't tend to be loyal. Blush and Dolphin have shut down several times. Also, remember high unemployment equals men with free time combine that with one of the highest weekly unemployment rates in the country and you can just live with the roomies and hang out at the bar or strip club.
Oh wow, that is actually an awful sampling of strip clubs in Portland. Though the Acrop is where one goes to get a cheap steak.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:39 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,094,163 times
During my three month stay in Portland last year, I went to seven clubs.

Four were dive bars with strippers (Hawthorne Strip, Pirate's Cove, Devil's Point and Lucky Devil Lounge) and three were what I would consider strip clubs (The Mirage, DV8 and Casa Diablo).

None of them seemed particularly busy but that may have been due to the relatively early times I visited them.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:37 PM

609 posts, read 807,925 times
The strippers in Portland will not be conventionally "attractive" to most men not from the area. Pale skin, overweight, no tone whatsoever, maybe even armpit hair. Older, drugged out. They look more like characters from Roseanne than Pamela Anderson or Carmen Electra. I've been to a dozen strip clubs around the area. Trust me, I've seen it all.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
The strippers in Portland will not be conventionally "attractive" to most men not from the area. Pale skin, overweight, no tone whatsoever, maybe even armpit hair. Older, drugged out. They look more like characters from Roseanne than Pamela Anderson or Carmen Electra. I've been to a dozen strip clubs around the area. Trust me, I've seen it all.
That tended to no describe the strippers I saw during my strip club days. Pale skin, tattooed, hipster girls maybe, but not overweight unless you think anorexic is an attractive weight. But that is my experience, and the girls that strip in Portland tend to typically be my taste in strippers rather than the stereotype of blonde, spray tan, and fake boobs.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:20 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
I'm beginning to feel like I might be missing out by not having ever been to a strip club. In any state. Is this true, am I? Is a strip club experience bucket list worthy? I don't come from a strip club appreciating culture that I know of, but I've crossed so many other cultural lines, what's one more? Are strip clubs... erm... diverse? Will a 5'11" 200lb black guy cause any discomfort among the patrons and/or the staff? What is the behavior protocol? Can you just kick back and take in the ... experience, or is one compelled by tradition to belly up to the stage and divest oneself of a thick stack of onsies for each new performer as the price of being present at the spectacle? Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 02-28-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'm beginning to feel like I might be missing out by not having ever been to a strip club. In any state. Is this true, am I? Is a strip club experience bucket list worthy? I don't come from a strip club appreciating culture that I know of, but I've crossed so many other cultural lines, what's one more? Are strip clubs... erm... diverse? Will a 5'11" 200lb black guy cause any discomfort among the patrons and/or the staff? What is the behavior protocol? Can you just kick back and take in the ... experience, or is one compelled by tradition to belly up to the stage and divest oneself of a thick stack of onsies for each new performer as the price of being present at the spectacle? Inquiring minds want to know...

Trust me, no one would pay attention to you in a club, everyone is focused on the naked ladies.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:22 PM

241 posts, read 386,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

you trolling????

Old 02-28-2015, 08:30 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassfeeder View Post
you trolling????
L. is a long time regular here. He is not a troll and I am sure he is being serious when he says he hasn't been to a strip club. Maybe L. has had unpaid ladies take their clothes off over the years and doesn't need to put money in a stranger's panties. Just a thought.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I think some of it has to do with the people on the northern side of the state line (Washington) where there are very few strip clubs. State law prevents the sale of alcohol at them, and in Seattle the dancers must stay 4' from the customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland