Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 03:53 PM

31 posts, read 112,040 times

Advertisements

Hello all - I am relocating to Phoenix in November. I'm scouting out homes to rent starting Halloween weekend. I'm working off East Deer Valley Road and want a home within 5-10 miles of I-17 and E Deer Valley Road. I'm looking at Happy Valley, Moon Valley and Deer Valley areas.

My budget is $1300 and I'm a single 40something. I don't need to be in the partying happening part of town but I don't want to be so far out that I'm driving an hour to get downtown. I'd like your opinion on which area of the 3 is the best.

I've heard from realtors there are pockets of areas south of 17 and 101 that I need to watch out for that are not as nice. Also, is there any area I should look within the 5-10 miles of my job?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 04:14 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
I like the Moon Valley area, personally, it's a little older, more mature landscaping/trees, the Phoenix Mountain Preserve nearby, and yet close in. The commute would be really a reverse one to I-17 and Deer Valley. My sister lived around 7th St and Thunderbird for a long time.

If you go down south of Bell Road you get into areas that aren't quite as nice, but they aren't terrible either. I'd still stick to the areas you are looking at now.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:03 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,510,276 times
I was out there today or in that region. The Happy Valley, Moon Valley area. It seemed nice enough when I was driving around these communities. Although for me its hard to distingusih one place from the other. From the way the lay out of the Phoenix area is . Sprawling and no real definition or boundaries to anything. Its difficult to tell exactly what community you are in. I know that's not much help, but I have only lived in the Phx area for 6 week now. I don't know where your moving from but be prepared for a tremendous amount of driving, on really long and wide surface streets. I'm wishing I had some access to fwys, it would really help alot at least where I am in the Surprise area. I recommend to anyone coming here if you have alot of driving to do and its a distance. Make sure there is a fwy nearby. Unless you like driving on light after light surface streets for really long distances. Which there are many. Best of Luck to you.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:56 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,028,751 times
Well I am of course partial to Moon Valley because I live here. It is close to 3 major freeways and it is the closest to downtown of the the areas you mentioned. As said before, all 3 areas are very nice for the most part. Like any areas in and around Phoenix, you have your pockets of not so great neighborhoods surrounded by wonderful neighborhoods. You just really need to see things for yourself and be sure of where you want to live because rental agreements are now rarely less than 12 months unless you want to pay extra for a short term lease. Your rental budget should be fine for a decent home of up to 3 bedrooms in a fairly nice area. If you don't need any more than 2 bedrooms then your budget will definitely be very sufficient. Welcome to Phoenix!

Old 10-17-2012, 12:42 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,939,702 times
I wouldn't necessarily say that all 3 areas have pockets of not so good surrounded by bad areas. Probably the most likely to see that is the Deer Valley area, it's a pretty big mix of older homes, newer homes, mobile home parks, and some industrial areas close by. The further from having the pockets is probably the Happy Valley area...it's very new, lots of desert landscaping, a bit further out but really there aren't bad pockets I can think of. Moon Valley is nice because it's more centrally located than the other two and has more mature landscaping but for me personally, I don't like the style of homes. I prefer either really old homes (like historic downtown neighborhoods) or new homes built in the last few years with 10' flat ceiling and master planned neighborhoods.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:21 AM

31 posts, read 112,040 times
Thanks all for the help. I am moving from Atlanta to Phoenix so yes, I am used to driving everywhere and in some of the worst traffic in the country which I will not miss! As long as I have access to 17 I should be fine which it sounds like I will be. I will focus on Moon Valley since it seems to get high marks.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:25 PM

54 posts, read 87,713 times
I'm thinking of leaving the west valley next year for the Moon Valley area. As bad as all the traffic lights on surface streets are, commuting the freeways is ridiculous and it grows old fast. I prefer 51 to 17 personally. Where 17 meets 101 is particularly crowded during any commute from 6:30 am and again after 3:30,.. Always jammed up.

You should be able to find something in your price range but when I was looking last May most houses in that area were more like $1400-$1600 (but I was looking for a big yard). Rentals go fast so do your homework on the neighborhood and be ready to act. Areas can go from safe looking to scary looking in the space of a city block, but looks can be deceiving. Old or humble isn't necessarily dangerous I have found. There's a few websites with crime statistics but they all have different reports, so not as helpful as hoped for. Google Earth is very handy in satellite view! See which of your neighbors has a pool (or a rusted out car up on blocks).

The Phoenix mountains are amazing. Beware of street flooding during the monsoon, though. You will LOVE the lack of humidity. My dog's allergies cleared up in 3 days here.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:34 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdayze View Post
I'm thinking of leaving the west valley next year for the Moon Valley area. As bad as all the traffic lights on surface streets are, commuting the freeways is ridiculous and it grows old fast. I prefer 51 to 17 personally. Where 17 meets 101 is particularly crowded during any commute from 6:30 am and again after 3:30,.. Always jammed up.

You should be able to find something in your price range but when I was looking last May most houses in that area were more like $1400-$1600 (but I was looking for a big yard). Rentals go fast so do your homework on the neighborhood and be ready to act. Areas can go from safe looking to scary looking in the space of a city block, but looks can be deceiving. Old or humble isn't necessarily dangerous I have found. There's a few websites with crime statistics but they all have different reports, so not as helpful as hoped for. Google Earth is very handy in satellite view! See which of your neighbors has a pool (or a rusted out car up on blocks).

The Phoenix mountains are amazing. Beware of street flooding during the monsoon, though. You will LOVE the lack of humidity. My dog's allergies cleared up in 3 days here.
This thread is almost two years old, so the OP has made her move by now, I assume. Your info is still useful to others, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area