Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 05:22 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,773,185 times

Advertisements

This isn't exactly a relocation question so if my post gets booted I understand. But the genesis of this is our relocation...

We hired a tile guy to install 12" granite tiles on our kitchen counters. We're sprucing up to sale the house so we can move to NC. He showed up 2 days late with the wrong tile. So on Wednesday I ordered the tile and he picked it up. He paid for the tile and other supplies. He worked 1/2 day and stops because he can't get my sink out. My hubby gets the sink out that night and we notice that one section of the tile is off. The tile overhung by .5 inch on one end and 1.5 inch on the other end. Hubby and I rip up tile for them to redo. Next day guy shows up 1.5 hours late. Fixes his mistake makes a little progress. Then he was suppose to show up at 7 am next day to start work again and He NEVER showed up. I left several messages.

Hubby and I have since found another person to do the work. New guy comes highly recommened. New guy said we had to rip up a section of the tile... fortunately the first guy did not do his job right and we were able to rip up the tile without breaking them. But we do have to scrape the backs to them.

So we've fired the first guy and I've already paid him for materials. But we have not paid him for labor. My question is would you pay the fired guy for his time?

My hubby said we should pay him something. I'm torn. We lost a week. He tracked grit and grim in on my recently refinished hardwood floors even when I asked him to be careful and provided him with old towels etc to use and walk on. He dropped adhesive on my wooden front porch so now my front porch has to be sanded and repainted. He did not return my numerous calls and he has been such a mess on so many levels.

We only had a verbal contract and to be honest if he takes me to small claims so be it. (I have several attorney friends who would help me.) So what would you do? Pay him something or forget it. BTW, I have his tools.. he left them here. I will obviously give him his tools back.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 05:31 PM

98 posts, read 638,079 times
I think I would have already shot him !! seems to me you have been very tolerant of an imbecile rather than a tradesman

I would give give $50 for his 'efforts' plus the cost ofmaterials just to be rid of him

Old 03-23-2007, 06:35 PM

402 posts, read 2,213,839 times
I think I would give him nothing----
and it would be beneficial if you had pictures of his poor work?
As a service professional, that behavior is inexcusable!!

Old 03-23-2007, 06:45 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,275,222 times
Default Shoddy workmanship

PDX Mom - My neighbor had to redo an entire bathroom,tile floors, tile shower, etc. because of negligent, shoddy workmanship. The year time period had elapsed so she had no recourse but to have the entire bathroom redone. She reported the contractor to Angie's List to try and prevent another homeowner the sad experience. I'd report him to state and I wouldn't give him a penny.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:22 PM

43,458 posts, read 77,442,213 times
Don't pay him any more money.
He accomplished nothing for you but hassle.

He's done it before, and he'll do it again.
If enough people don't pay him, he'll go to work at JiffyLube ruining engines.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:52 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,773,185 times
I appreciate everyone's replies! And I did get photos of his work all along. I've already burned them to a cd for safe keeping. I'm going to sleep on it until Monday and figure out my plan. He has to come back for his tools so I know I'll see him again.

And thanks for the reminder about posting to Angie's List. I was definately going to report him to the state and BBB but forgot about Angie's List. Thanks!

Old 03-24-2007, 04:48 PM

177 posts, read 848,868 times
'Had something similar happen to me when I was redoing the kitchen in my house in Atlanta. At my contractor's insistence, I did not pay the the tile guy for his labour (his work was shoddy at best - and it was world cup "season" at the time - so he was only around when there weren't any games on).

eileen

Old 03-24-2007, 05:24 PM

52 posts, read 226,597 times
Don't forget that your time is valuable as well. How much work did you and your husband have to do or how much time did you lose from work?

Old 03-24-2007, 05:37 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,688,938 times
Send him a bill, especially for your front porch repairs. Better yet, maybe a lawyer friend will for you.
His damage was more costly than what his "labor" amounted to anyway.

<<<He tracked grit and grim in on my recently refinished hardwood floors even when I asked him to be careful and provided him with old towels etc to use and walk on. He dropped adhesive on my wooden front porch so now my front porch has to be sanded and repainted.>>>

Old 03-25-2007, 04:59 PM

1,486 posts, read 4,162,683 times
Default no

The agreement was to install tile, not TRY and install tile and then if he screws up he gets something. That would be rewarding incompetence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance