Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 07:38 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,126,112 times

Advertisements

An umbrella insurance is cheap compared to auto or home insurance. Once you have assets to protect, it's a good idea to protect yourself as much as you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 08:53 AM

21,922 posts, read 9,488,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
I live in Texas and it seems like our Home Owner's Insurance is doubling every year.

It is way out of control.

For those with no mortgage Insurance requirement, how many here skip on home owner's insurance and place the money they would have paid the insurance company into a Self Insured emergency fund?

Yes, I understand the risk but my question is..what is the ACTUAL STATISTICAL PROBABILITY that the average Home owner Insurance holder will file a claim EQUAL TO or GREATER than the amount the Home Owner Insurance charges, per year?

For example, if your premium is $6k a year and instead of paying the insurance company each year, you pay yourself that premium, after 10 years you'd have ($6k x 10)= $60k + ANY GROWTH if it was in a money market account.

If the ACTUAL STATISTICAL PROBABILITY IS say less than 5%..you most likely will not use YOUR insurance that year...and on top of that what is the ACTUAL STATISTICAL PROBABILITY it is a LARGE payout and what additional Legal fees would you have to pay to access the money the Insurance Company owes YOU?
I guess you'd have to ask an actuary.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:55 AM

21,922 posts, read 9,488,758 times
Quote:
True..I'd actually encourage anyone to look into where Insurance companies invest YOUR money once they pass the period of having to pay out your claims.

GEICO is notorious for investing into TV and Movie projects....making Warren Buffet even richer than he already is.
Ok, so the agenda here is to bash the insurance companies. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 01-26-2024, 12:49 PM

976 posts, read 1,056,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Ok, so the agenda here is to bash the insurance companies. Thanks for clarifying.

NO..the question is at what point does ever increasing insurance rates become unfeasible for American families due to the actual risk %.

Is there an elasticity point where many Americans start opting out?

Old 01-26-2024, 01:10 PM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:

Many?
Many will not opt out.
Many cannot afford to not carry insurance, especially those who cannot even afford repairs. Plus many still carry mortgages and are required to carry insurance.
Also, people with umbrella policies need homeowner insurance for those policies (I know we do).

Old 01-26-2024, 01:16 PM

Quote:
NO..the question is at what point does ever increasing insurance rates become unfeasible for American families due to the actual risk %.

It's a good thing I paid off my house. I have more runway for the insurance to increase.

For those still paying a mortgage, the PITI will definitely squeeze people's budget. Life is that way though and you adjust.

Old 01-26-2024, 01:17 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:

Maybe those not up to date on replacement costs and liability and not being able to add 1 +1 will. Ask anyone who had a serious claim. A poster in this thread mentioned 20k for a roof in Raleigh NC. Those numbers are based on locality, roof type and size. You have not yet posted actual numbers to substantiate your claim of unreasonable policy increases. Just bashing insurance? Sounds like it.

Old 01-26-2024, 02:38 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Maybe those not up to date on replacement costs and liability and not being able to add 1 +1 will. Ask anyone who had a serious claim. A poster in this thread mentioned 20k for a roof in Raleigh NC. Those numbers are based on locality, roof type and size. You have not yet posted actual numbers to substantiate your claim of unreasonable policy increases. Just bashing insurance? Sounds like it.
I've made one "serious" damage claim on a homeowner's policy. In simple terms when all was said and done, the cost to repair was about double what I'd paid in premiums over the 16 years I owned the house.

Old 01-26-2024, 02:40 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,924,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I think you are going to have to go to several brokers and ask them how many claims they have filed out of how many policies they have. I would ask about type and also dollar amount.

Liability insurance would be my main concern if I was self insuring.
This is the problem with self insuring. You could surely set aside an amount to self insure the rebuilding of your home, and from a financial point of view it probably makes sense.

But liability is another story entirely. An injury on your property could result in a lawsuit for hundreds of thousands if not over a million dollars.

You can purchase standalone personal liability insurance but not sure of the cost.

Old 01-26-2024, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
This is the problem with self insuring. You could surely set aside an amount to self insure the rebuilding of your home, and from a financial point of view it probably makes sense.

But liability is another story entirely. An injury on your property could result in a lawsuit for hundreds of thousands if not over a million dollars.

You can purchase standalone personal liability insurance but not sure of the cost.
I've got a 2m policy for $218. I did have to increase my auto and home policies, but it wasn't a huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance