Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 08:14 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,041,647 times

Advertisements

At a minimum, people deserve someone who is fit for the office and can do the job.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:32 AM

3,320 posts, read 1,819,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
You've got a very narrow understanding of articulation. Articulation does not just depend on speech or verbal debate, as I'm sure you're aware. If a Senator were to suddenly lose their voice, do they lose the capacity to serve in their position?
I'm sure many would have told Helen Keller she would never learn to write, with that mentality.

The fact of the matter is aphasia is not an intellectual disability, despite what you've implied. This is where the nuance between speech and thought gets completely lost.
Sometimes it's not easy to determine whether the impediment is in the thought process or the speech process, but an impediment it surely is.

If MY senator had such a handicap I would not view him or her as fit to serve.

And Helen Keller has nothing to do with it .. she did not ever run for public office.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:34 AM

9,350 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Thank you for admitting this. On Facebook I had one friend say anyone undecided heading into the debate was a moron. I had to admit I was a "moron", then, because I didn't like to be told "If you don't vote for Fetterman you hate women" or "Oz isn't even from PA". I want to know why people support Fetterman for WHO HE IS---not for what party he represents. I'm a moderate Democrat, much to the chagrin of my Facebook friends who love to foam at the mouth whenever I suggest I might vote for a Republican.

I think Oz won handily last night. I also caught Oz up in a few lies. Then again I also caught Fetterman up in lies (especially the denial of being anti-fracking as recently as 2018), but whenever you bring that up you are told you are being insensitive to his aphasia. I really want to vote for Shapiro AND Oz, but I have had too many female liberal friends threaten to cut ties with me if I vote for Oz, so I am being bullied into voting for Fetterman. If these Fetterman fools had listened to me and voted for Conor Lamb in the primary this would be a non-issue as Lamb would trounce Oz.
Oz may have “won handily,” but he in no way performed impressively. He routinely ignored the time clock (which the moderators should have cracked down on much more firmly), knowing that Fetterman could not do the same in his condition.

From what I know about stroke recovery patients, I don’t believe that Fetterman’s slow verbal processing speed correlates with a cognitive impairment that would prevent him from making sound and reasoned decisions as a U.S. Senator.

I certainly won’t pretend that Fetterman’s condition is ideal, and I won’t call anyone a moron for going into the debate undecided or being concerned with Fetterman’s performance, but (and without trying to bully or intimidate you into accepting my viewpoint), I don’t see how Oz is a viable alternative for anyone who was otherwise in broad agreement with Fetterman’s campaign platform. Still, unless Fetterman has a trump card or two in reserve—no pun intended (which his campaign hopefully does, given that last night’s performance was not a huge shock)—I don’t have high hopes of him prevailing on November 8th.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:35 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,603,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Sometimes it's not easy to determine whether the impediment is in the thought process or the speech process, but an impediment it surely is.

If MY senator had such a handicap I would not view him or her as fit to serve.

And Helen Keller has nothing to do with it .. she did not ever run for public office.
You're missing my point. So you're saying that Helen Keller would have never been fit to be Senator because she couldn't speak or hear?

At what point do you get to decide who is "fit" and who is not? Where do you draw the line?

Old 10-26-2022, 08:37 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times
Quote:

At what point do you get to decide who is "fit" and who is not? Where do you draw the line?
Oh, please. This is an election. Everyone gets to decide. That's the whole point.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I certainly won’t pretend that Fetterman’s condition is ideal, and I won’t call anyone a moron for going into the debate undecided or being concerned with Fetterman’s performance, but (and without trying to bully or intimidate you into accepting my viewpoint), I don’t see how Oz is a viable alternative for anyone who was otherwise in broad agreement with Fetterman’s campaign platform.
My thoughts exactly. Folks also need to remember that 5 months out from a stroke, Fetterman has indeed improved.

I do certainly understand the hesitation for some voters to support a candidate with aphasia. However, it needs to be based on fact. It's not an intellectual disability.

Was it a good look for him to go into fast-paced debate, particularly against an admittedly better-than-average orator like Oz? Absolutely not; it was a huge risk for his campaign to agree to this format, and they had to have considered that. It was honestly a "Catch 22" for them; if he bowed out of the debate, the vitriol against him would have been just as strong.

That said, Fetterman will continue to improve his speech over time; it is not permanent. Character, on the other hand, is something you cannot change. The lack of which is Oz's Achilles' Heel.

Last edited by Duderino; 10-26-2022 at 08:47 AM..

Old 10-26-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Oh, please. This is an election. Everyone gets to decide. That's the whole point.
Um, okay. Maybe that's why I asked the poster personally where he/she draws the line? How do you define "fitness?" It's a pretty simple question, is it not?

Old 10-26-2022, 08:45 AM

1,397 posts, read 916,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Oz may have “won handily,” but he in no way performed impressively. He routinely ignored the time clock (which the moderators should have cracked down on much more firmly), knowing that Fetterman could not do the same in his condition.

From what I know about stroke recovery patients, I don’t believe that Fetterman’s slow verbal processing speed correlates with a cognitive impairment that would prevent him from making sound and reasoned decisions as a U.S. Senator.

I certainly won’t pretend that Fetterman’s condition is ideal, and I won’t call anyone a moron for going into the debate undecided or being concerned with Fetterman’s performance, but (and without trying to bully or intimidate you into accepting my viewpoint), I don’t see how Oz is a viable alternative for anyone who was otherwise in broad agreement with Fetterman’s campaign platform. Still, unless Fetterman has a trump card or two in reserve—no pun intended (which his campaign hopefully does, given that last night’s performance was not a huge shock)—I don’t have high hopes of him prevailing on November 8th.
I'm not in broad agreement with any party platform.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:47 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times
Quote:
Um, okay. Maybe that's why I asked the poster personally where he/she draws the line? How do you define "fitness?" It's a pretty simple question, is it not?
We are not in a hypothetical situation. John Fetterman, not Helen Keller, is running for U.S. Senate. If a voter draws the line at whatever they perceive Fetterman's issues to be, then that's their right.

It's also a voter's right to come away from the debate saying Oz is too polished, his accent is too New Jersey, or whatever else they think.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
We are not in a hypothetical situation. John Fetterman, not Helen Keller, is running for U.S. Senate. If a voter draws the line at whatever they perceive Fetterman's issues to be, then that's their right.

It's also a voter's right to come away from the debate saying Oz is too polished, his accent is too New Jersey, or whatever else they think.
Look, I'm not saying anything contrary to what you're arguing. I never said people "don't have the right" to make personal decisions about "fitness." Obviously people make voting decisions based on a whole spectrum of factors and opinions.

What I am saying is that if we're going to have a conversation about "fitness," it should at least be honest and factual about what are truly limits to someone serving as US Senator, and what can be reasonably accommodated as a disability.

People can certainly reasonably disagree about the extent to which accommodation of any disability is "reasonable," but that doesn't make it any less of an important conversation to have so that we're drawing individual conclusions with the same set of facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania