Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 09:55 AM

25 posts, read 37,431 times

Advertisements

Western PA is depressing and miserable. Pittsburgh is the center of this misery. The city has a nice skyline, but the rest of it looks like an atomic bomb hit it. It is a stagnet, vice-filled cesspool.

The weather sucks in Wesern PA as well, but is much nicer in centeral and eastern PA. The people are different in the central and eastern part of the state as well. The difference is amazing. Even the weather out in Harrisburg and Carlisle is 100% different than the weather here in hell. Amazing.

So as a whole, PA is a nice state. Just AVIOD anything west of the Chestnut Ridge and you are ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 09:57 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpsgangtasandhustlas View Post
I am from Pittsburgh and I am very depressed!
Well, I'm from Scranton and I'm likewise overcoming manic depression. Nevertheless, my depression stemmed from social inadequacies, not from the city. Anyone who blames their depression on their geographical surroundings, especially a city, needs to truly find a new place to live! We optimists here in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre have been telling the nay-sayers "If you don't like it, then MOVE!" for years now, and it appears as if most of the negativity has abated as the anti-NEPA crowd mostly relocated. Now, our population loss is starting to taper off and stabilize, and I predict our population will be growing in the upcoming years as more and more people find out about the "secret" of our area.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:45 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,692 times
I agree I should move but on the other hand "football! beer! football! the bar! drinking, drugs, football, football, if you dont like it move" is all they yell. Sorry, but I think you should move! Thats the problem with Pittsburgh, the sorry mopes that keep this city in the 17th century are the ones that should move, the progressive open-minded types are the ones that leave. These 1886 era type politicians have driven this state into the ground. Dont get me wrong I love Pittsburgh, it is visually stunning and is not a bad place to be but I am smart enough to know that there are better places for young people to be. On the other hand if your an old fart and you want it to be 1950 again Pittsburghs the perfect city for you.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:18 PM

90 posts, read 377,891 times
Default So true

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Life for Scrantonians has gone from DESPONDENT to NEUTRAL. We've gone from being a city where everyone spouted out nothing but negativity and anger over being "stuck in that dump" for decades after the collapse of the mining industry to being a city where people are becoming encouraged by recent revitalization efforts and have upgraded themselves to a "wait-and-see" approach. I think, in a few more years, the general mood of the populace will grow happy again. Just look at the optimistic NEPA residents on this forum, including ConorsDad, WilkesBarreAdvocate, WilkesColonel, and myself, among others, who all see nothing but glorious, endless POTENTIAL in our area's renaissance. With Wall Street West, a new medical school, a new high-speed commuter rail line to NYC, a new film office, and being host to "The Office", among other current and upcoming attractions, how could you not be excited for NEPA? It's another beautiful day here--the rain has moved out, and the clouds are thinning!

I too have heard that Scranton is going to be the "West New York". That's a good thing. People say that New Yorker's are rude. I tend to disagree.
If you smile sombody will smile back at you. You can not judge all.
Scranton is in for great change and excitement and I am anxious to get there and settle down. The Endless Mountains are to die for plus you are about 2 to 3 hours to New York City, Philly and other areas with tons of things to do.
The weather is crisp and clean and invigorating. Depressing? I say nay nay.

Old 01-01-2007, 07:13 PM

Pimps, I got tired of the second-rate pittsburgh nightlife a long time ago. As for Football, I'm SO SICK AND TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT THE STEELERS, LOOKING AT THE UGLY BLOW-UP STEELER DOLLS IN PEOPLE'S FRONT LAWNS, BIG BEN DID THIS, BIG BEN DID THAT, BIG BEN'S CRAP HAD A SLIGHT YELLOW TINT THIS MORNING, ON AND ON AND ON.....

Meanwhile people do NOTHING about these horrible roads, millions of tax dollars are about to be spent on yet MORE SPORTS RELATED s%it (tunnel so that steeler fans can now walk under the river to Heinz field), the list goes on and on.

Excuse me, I just threw up....oh look, good thing I just had coffee and cheese...now my puke is black and gold!

Old 01-02-2007, 07:19 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,435,285 times
Default PA depressing?

Hi ScrantonWilkesBarre and covebound.
Well said....
You are only getting depressed if you WANT to be. I currently live in FL, and I am DEPRESSED NOW!!!
Why?
No jobs, rude people, same weather over and over and over without change. Here we don't even know our next door neighbor, and even if we would, we couldn't talk to them, because we don't speak spanish!!!
That was all different up north. My husband is from Hazleton, and I used to live in Dunmore, Scranton, Taylor, Drums and Hazleton, before moving south.
I had the best times "painting" Wilkes and Scranton red with my friends....lol. So, I much rather think it's the people you surround yourself with rather then the city itself. Some sunday mornings we all got together and drove up to the poconos. Everyone keeps on talking about the 2 hour thing to Philly, NY and NJ......OMG, there is so many other areas to go to, right from NEPA!
And, yes, I have met a lot of football crazy people (which I am not), but, the bbq's and get togethers are priceless, and so much fun. Hey, it's the PEOPLE, people ! And, people from NEPA are one of the best worth meeting !!!!
People from NEPA still remember being curtious, mind their manners, help out even if you are a stranger, still say "hi" to people. Yeah, tell me what you get in NY, NJ or here in FL..... Most of the time they look at you and don't reply, because everyone is afraid of so many nutty people walking freely.
Somebody mentioned before that PA is depressing, and moving to the south. LOL!!!
THAT's exactly what we thought, and we didn't just talk about it, we DID IT!!! And regret it ever since.
What bothered us the most in PA, I think, was the snow. Guess, what, we are moving back ASAP, just waiting for the house to be sold. And guess one other thing....EVERYONE from PA kept in touch with us, writing or calling, and it's been 3 years now. That's what I mean about loyal people/ friends....my loyal friends are in NEPA!!
Can't wait to move back...and be (quote):"depressed" again in PA....LOL!!!!
Quote: " another nice day in NEPA"

Old 01-02-2007, 07:56 AM

Default Sure, compared to Florida.

What did you expect to find in Florida? a couple hours of internet research before you moved down there could have saved you three years of misery. You act as if you were shocked and appaled that your neighbors only speak spanish, transient psycho-bums are everywhere, and people down there are wacko. Did you not visit that state before you decided to buy property there?

I too looked at Florida as an alternative to living here in PA long ago, but did my research and visited several towns and cities down there, which quickly made me change my mind. It didn't take much to convince me to not move there.

I happen to like NEPA. Western PA, especially the southwestern corner I find very depressing though. I'm also not alone in my opinion. I feel bad for you since you had to learn the hard way about Florida. You should have done your homework before you moved there. If you would have done some research, you would have known in advance that you would be wasting three years of your life in a third-world country....that just happens to be connected to the rest of this great nation.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:20 AM
MB2

Hi chinenjim :-)
Yup, you are so right !
We did waste 3 years in FL. Yes, we did visit here before, but, things did change A LOT in a matter of a couple of years, and not for the better. Before it was somewhat managable....now it's unbearable!
The internet sites we have visited prior is/ was for tourists and potential new comers to the area. Hindsight, of course didn't we find anything really negative about the area, because it was just getting populated and established. (Port St. Lucie)
Boy, were we WRONG!
Anybody wanting to move to FL...please get in contact with me first....EYE opener....lol.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:02 AM

I also found that Florida's natural beauty has been almost completely ruined by the people there. Brick and stucco homes are retarded. They say they are built that way because of hurricanes. Mabey on the coast it's fine, but there's no need to build like that in Ocala and other inland areas where you can see 100 year old wooden barns that have survived storm after storm just fine. Also, I think palmetto trees are nice and I understand that's the state tree, but the way they are planted all over the roadside is tacky. They also look like crap when they have to be planted on stilts so they grow straight up. The abundance of new transplanted palmettos with no fronds looks stupid too. They look like tiki torches sticking outta the ground....on stilts. Yuck.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:34 PM
MB2

Seems like other states have the right ideas about "conservation efforts", and all FL is thinking about is the mighty dollar....
It was already so bad years ago, now it is off the chart, thanks to the politicians, developers and builders. Fl is in a desperate state right now, due to them literally killing Lake Okeechobee, and the everglades. Give it a couple more years and either this state will have poisoned itself, or a tidalwave is just going to sweep it "clean". Can't wait to leave... For some it is heaven, for me it is hell.... :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania