Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 10:23 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,987,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
restaurant sectors outclass just about every city in the country , not just Pennsylvania.
Huh???????

Forbes magazine actually rates the 10 best restaurant cities in their Travel section:

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. L.A.
5. New Orleans
6. Houston
7. D.C.
8. Atlanta
9. Boston
10. Las Vegas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
The above^ is a mix of deceptive per capita rhetoric and magazine fluff pieces.
So you are saying that the Federal Government's employment statistics showing unemployment figures for Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are "deceptive per capita rhetoric" and we should just trust YOUR opinion instead?

Quote:
For example the per capita income of my township of Lower Merion(60,000 pop.) and the economic and job data of LM would absolutely destroy Pittsburgh
Wikipedia: "Many of the top richest places in Pennsylvania are suburbs of Pittsburgh, located in Allegheny County"

Quote:
Philadelphia is in a different class than Pittsburgh.
Yeah...it ranks higher in crime, taxes, corruption, cost of living, etc....

It's also been ranked one of the Fattest, Ugliest, and Most Miserable cities in the USA.

Quote:
Its the cultural core of the 9th largest metro in the world.
Is that supposed to mean that you are saying Philadelphia is the 9th largest metropolitan area in the world? If so, then again you are dead wrong....

Philadelphia doesn't even make the top 20 in the world. NYC and LA are the ONLY two cities in the USA to make it into the top 20.

BTW...Atlanta is the 9th largest metro area in the USA.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:57 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,384,062 times
Philly
Burgh
Erie
Harrisburg

Old 06-21-2010, 06:21 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post

Wikipedia: "Many of the top richest places in Pennsylvania are suburbs of Pittsburgh, located in Allegheny County"
Highest income zip codes in PENNSYLVANIA

No. Not on a percentage basis.

45 of the top 60. 75 of the top 100 wealthiest zip codes in the state are in the Philly region. If you removed state borders and NJ + Del were part of Pa it would probably be 95 out of 100.

The 19000 and 18000 zip#s are Philly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar
Is that supposed to mean that you are saying Philadelphia is the 9th largest metropolitan area in the world? If so, then again you are dead wrong....
City Mayors: Richest cities in the world in 2005 and 2020 by GDP

9th largest economy.

Richest cities and urban areas in 2005
Rank City/Urban area Country GDP in US$bn
1 Tokyo Japan 1191
2 New York USA 1133
3 Los Angeles USA 639
4 Chicago USA 460
5 Paris France 460
6 London UK 452
7 Osaka/Kobe Japan 341
8 Mexico City Mexico 315
9 Philadelphia USA 312
10 Washington DC USA 299

Old 06-21-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Highest income zip codes in PENNSYLVANIA

No. Not on a percentage basis.

45 of the top 60. 75 of the top 100 wealthiest zip codes in the state are in the Philly region. If you removed state borders and NJ + Del were part of Pa it would probably be 95 out of 100.

The 19000 and 18000 zip#s are Philly.
That's about the most skewed possible way to prove that point! Pittsburgh is broken into 14 different zips.....and that's not even what I said. Wikipedia says that many of the Pittsburgh SUBURBS are the wealthiest (it doesn't mention anything about any percentage basis).

MAYORS ranking??? Sorry but what does the Mayor of Tokyo know about cities in PA?

Also, for some reason the name "Philadelphia" isn't even on the page you linked to.

Aside from that, you did say "9th largest metro in the world" which has nothing at all to do with what a bunch of Mayors think about who's the richest.

So now that you've hijacked this thread and turned it into something else, why not address the OP's question? She already said she thinks Pittsburgh is #1, Philly #2 and now wants to know how those OTHER cities would rank.

I am still reserving comment on that until I know exactly what she means by "vibrant".

Old 06-21-2010, 10:48 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,840,121 times
These lists are all personal preferences. If I like large cities with really vibrant cores I like Philly, if I'm a city guy who wants to raise a family and perhaps wants something a little slower pace, I like Pitt. Ranking does both cities a disservice, IMO. At any rate, these are the most obvious so there's more to be learned from "best cities that aren't Philadelphia or Pittsburgh." I like Harrisburg a lot, even better than Lancaster, despite it's problems due to its architecture and river location. OTOH, Lancaster may have a better handle on its problems than Harrisburg, and certainly benefits from closer proximity to the Philly area as well as it's spot on the tourist circuit thanks to the Amish (Lancaster county should take note and start preserving that farmland since that's what puts the county on the map). I like both considerably better than Reading, but Reading has potential. I haven't been to the state's other cities (scranton, allentown, erie, johnstown, altoona, etc).

Old 06-21-2010, 11:56 AM

126 posts, read 304,813 times
1. Def. Philly by phar. Biggest and most famous city in PA. 2nd biggest city on the east coast. Only 1 hour from the beach, lots of history, luvs it. I can go on and on but I'm just gonna stop right there
2. Pittsburg
3. Harrisburg- capital
4. Allentown- Dorney park
5. Scranton- the office

Old 06-21-2010, 02:39 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,905,845 times
See was I right or was I Right - they will flip flop

Philly fanboys are going to place Philly at the top..

Pittsburgh fannboys are going to place the Burgh at the top..

Take you're pick....neither one kills the other except Philly has the larger population (not always a good thing but i digress)...both are pretty much the same type of city...Philadelphia has a more vibrant downtown...and Pittsburgh has more vibrant neighborhoods..Its a wash really...

Old 06-21-2010, 02:43 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,046,590 times
From now on let's leave the race between Philly and Pittsburgh out of this, because I think there is a big rivalry between the two in terms of residents who think their city is better than the other.

Let's focus on PA's other cities -- Erie, Scranton, Harrisburg, York, Reading, Allentown, Lancaster, Altoona, etc.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:47 PM

889 posts, read 2,577,841 times
1. State College
2. Pittsburgh
3. Philadelphia
4. Williamsport
5. Scranton and Wilkes-Barre.

The title of this thread should be "Rank Pennsylvania's Cities ... Let's Argue!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
From now on let's leave the race between Philly and Pittsburgh out of this, because I think there is a big rivalry between the two in terms of residents who think their city is better than the other.

Let's focus on PA's other cities -- Erie, Scranton, Harrisburg, York, Reading, Allentown, Lancaster, Altoona, etc.
Following your rules:
1. State College
2. Williamsport
3. Scranton
4. Wilkes-Barre
5. Harrisburg
6. Reading

Allentown and the entire Lehigh Valley does not even make the list for me. The sprawl that seems to be everywhere and forever (even with the housing market collapse!) has me turned off to any sense of quality of life there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania