Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:04 AM

4 posts, read 46,703 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have a piece of property in Oregon Pines Subdivision. I have not been there yet, its something Im buying online. I dont know if I made a mistake at this or not. It is really cheap, compaied to what property goes for where I am from, NYC area. I realize that there is no power, water, trash pick up, mail, or sewer. So, ok I can use a motorhome and have solar pannals, and that will be my sewer too. Is it safe to drink rainwater over there? Does a cellphone get reception? Im confused, sometimes Im very happy about this idea, other times I get upset. I am looking to be in a much less polluted environment and get away from the typical NYC compition for a while. Also, generally are strangers in that area friendly, or do I have to worry about descrimination, hatred and stay lonley? I dont know anyone out there, and am scared because I know nothing about the area. Are there food stores in the Oregon Pines? Pay phones? The city is Chiloquin. I have lots on my mind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 07:40 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times
Did you ask about zoning before you made the purchase?

Old 09-08-2009, 04:28 PM

It is resendital zoned

Old 09-08-2009, 07:52 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Chiloquin, huh? That should certainly meet the criteria of "getting away from the big city".

Let's move this over to the main Oregon board.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:23 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPatchouli View Post
Hi, I have a piece of property in Oregon Pines Subdivision. I have not been there yet, its something Im buying online. I dont know if I made a mistake at this or not. It is really cheap, compaied to what property goes for where I am from, NYC area. I realize that there is no power, water, trash pick up, mail, or sewer. So, ok I can use a motorhome and have solar pannals, and that will be my sewer too. Is it safe to drink rainwater over there? Does a cellphone get reception? Im confused, sometimes Im very happy about this idea, other times I get upset. I am looking to be in a much less polluted environment and get away from the typical NYC compition for a while. Also, generally are strangers in that area friendly, or do I have to worry about descrimination, hatred and stay lonley? I dont know anyone out there, and am scared because I know nothing about the area. Are there food stores in the Oregon Pines? Pay phones? The city is Chiloquin. I have lots on my mind...
The city is not Chiloquin, the land is north of the unincorporated community of Beatty. There is no grocery store - there is a minute-mart type thing in Sprague River and I think 2 in Bly. Chiloquin has two larger "minute mart" types places, but the closest real grocery store is in Klamath Falls, about 45 miles away.

It's probably zoned for residential, but you'll have to contact Klamath County. I've seen mention of CCRs, so motor homes might not be allowed. Oregon Pines is very isolated, so you may have some neighbors, but not many. Roads are gravel are not particularly maintained (from what I've seen in ads). You'll have to have a well or water tank. Looking at property ads, there is likely no power and no phone and I doubt you'll get much of a cell signal. Fire and ambulance will be volunteer, likely with long response times (in part by how isolated the "subdivision" is). Police would be Klamath County Sheriff.

While the property is isolated, it's still in Klamath County, which has building codes and required inspection.

Rainwater? It rains 10-12" a year, and that's as snow between November and March. If you property is in the valley bottom, you'd be looking at 30-55" of snow a year - if it's in the hills, 60-100" a year.

This is the sort of "newsletter" for the area:
Welcome To Sprague River, Oregon | Just past the end of the road...turn left....

I don't mean to be rude, but buying property site-unseen in an area you know nothing about REALLY isn't a good idea, no matter how cheap the land is.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:39 AM

Thanks, the land was advertised with "no restrictions on what type of home" witch means I can live in a tent if I want to. So mabey I was pretty dumb to buy this, but mabey it was a great idea, and a great investment. It might be worth something someday. Just like how people bought NYC blocks in the late 80's for $1. And now there making millions off rent.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:08 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,817,845 times
Quote:
Thanks, the land was advertised with "no restrictions on what type of home" witch means I can live in a tent if I want to. So mabey I was pretty dumb to buy this, but mabey it was a great idea, and a great investment. It might be worth something someday. Just like how people bought NYC blocks in the late 80's for $1. And now there making millions off rent.
Mary, this ain't New York so I don't see you making much of a profit off it someday. The vast majority of Oregon's growth is occurring on the West Side of the Cascades. Good luck though, honestly. If peace and solitude are what you're after, this will be it to nearly the extreme.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:48 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:

Because the land was advertised with no restrictions doesn't mean the statement is true. Did you buy private party? Did you ask about CCRs? Did you check with the county?

I'm not sure you understand how isolated this is. I live about 45 miles to the west, nearer Hwy 97. There is no TV reception. There are two radio stations which come in poorly. I have DSL through phone service, but the odds are the phone hookups aren't in.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:55 AM

758 posts, read 2,370,845 times
A nice place to camp/set up as a base. Most likely too far from anywhere to commute to work. Rainwater would be safe to drink; otherwise, you'd need to drill a well. You wouldn't want to live in a tent as the temps go below zero in the winter.
The likelihood of the area increasing in population much is pretty small. This will give you an idea about Klamath County life outside the city: http://www.co.klamath.or.us/ComDevel...the%20West.pdf

Old 09-10-2009, 12:45 AM

Thanks, it achually sounds pretty cool though. Your right I need to check with the county, I did pay taxes this year. I think its totally legit. I dont know to much about technoligy, as far as getting phones, but Im sure there is a satalite or something that will work, cb, shortwave, viocemail. Loco payphone, hopefully at the very least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon