Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 08:52 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Nice. Free, money, no work.
Just like the people who have the government paying for their rent and groceries. Free money, no working.

Except that being a landlord is not free money. It's work and it has taken a lot of work in order to get into the position of owning the rental and it is work to care for it and it is work to prevent the tenants from destroying it.

What work are the welfare folks doing in order to get their free housing and free groceries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 08:54 AM

15,414 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The landlords don't have a monopoly on housing and they raise rents per supply and demand.

I help middle-class people invest all the time. You are mistaken that they don't invest. Many investors own just one rental property. Something like 70% of rentals are owned by ma and pa landlords. While I am not a fan of Wall Street owning housing stock, you are mistaken that they are a monopoly.

I'm not crying about the homeless problem. I understand the complex dynamics that go into our current situation. I don't have any magical thinking going on. It is a multi-faceted problem that requires multiple solutions. My ideology in no way shape or form keeps the homeless population growing. Simplistic thinking does because it doesn't allow for effective solutions to be created because it keeps people entrenched in the thought that there is one cause for it when there isn't.
Yes, supply and demand. The landlords buy up all of the supply, demand increases, prices increase, landlords make lots of money, homeowners are SOL. They are priced out of the market.

Remove the landlords from the equation, the is problem solved.

Old 04-02-2024, 10:17 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times
Quote:
If it was up to me, I wouldn't allow private parties to provide housing to anyone. I would make it illegal, or at least severely restrict it. Then real estate prices would plummet and people would be able to afford to buy their own homes.

But unfortunately we have an entitled landlord class in this country who think they should be able to live high on the hog, without having to work for it, except to go collect up the rent checks one day a month.
Isn't this what the Soviet Bloc did for many years? I've read that housing approach did make many residents happy. Better than a tent/tarp, but just better.

Old 04-02-2024, 10:52 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Quote:
Yes, supply and demand. The landlords buy up all of the supply, demand increases, prices increase, landlords make lots of money, homeowners are SOL. They are priced out of the market.

Remove the landlords from the equation, the is problem solved.
You should attend some of the real estate investing classes to learn how things work. Maybe you will learn some of the creative financing ways that people use to buy homes so that you can get into one.

Old 04-02-2024, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Isn't this what the Soviet Bloc did for many years? I've read that housing approach did make many residents happy. Better than a tent/tarp, but just better.
I don't know, I would have to research it more. But the housing market in the USSR was good and the housing market in Russia is still good today. Home prices and rents are cheap and Russia has virtually no homeless anywhere. Unfortunately personal freedom for them is lacking.

Old 04-02-2024, 11:43 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Nice. Free, money, no work.

It's not really as easy as it looks.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-02-2024 at 12:51 PM..

Old 04-02-2024, 02:03 PM

238 posts, read 129,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
$995 a month including meals is unsustainable. The owners should have shuttered it a long time ago. The closing was unethical, but no way was it going to stay open with those numbers.

Now, if the government or a non-profit wanted to purchase it and turn it into affordable housing, that would be an option.
$995 for room AND board?!? Sounds like a steel of a deal.

Some nursing homes are charging in the $7,000-$10,000 a month range. Yowza!

Old 04-02-2024, 02:18 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
It wasn't a nursing home. It was an assisted living facility, and those typically come at lower price points than nursing homes (because nursing homes provide a clinical level of care and requires a different license). Still, at $995 per month, it's easy to see why they were losing money.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-02-2024 at 03:28 PM..

Old 04-02-2024, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Just like the people who have the government paying for their rent and groceries. Free money, no working.

Except that being a landlord is not free money. It's work and it has taken a lot of work in order to get into the position of owning the rental and it is work to care for it and it is work to prevent the tenants from destroying it.

What work are the welfare folks doing in order to get their free housing and free groceries?
Exactly, same thing. We are all on welfare, getting free money. Just different types of welfare. Except for the tenants who you despise who are working to pay for their rent. They are paying for all the welfare.

Old 04-03-2024, 12:23 AM

5,457 posts, read 8,171,711 times
The whole original premise of this thread, that the homeless problem is caused by old people not being able to find retirement and nursing homes and other places to live is completely wrong. It assumes that most of the homeless are old people. This isn’t the least bit true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon