Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 09:31 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times

Advertisements

These Are the World’s Most Affordable and Least Affordable Cities to Buy a Home OKC #2

They only took data from a handful of countries. But interesting none the less.

These Are the World’s Most Affordable and Least Affordable Cities to Buy a Home

Read more at: https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/pittsburgh-most-affordable-for-housing-hong-kong-most-expensive
Copyright © BloombergQuint

These Are the World’s Most Affordable and Least Affordable Cities to Buy a Home

Read more at: https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/pittsburgh-most-affordable-for-housing-hong-kong-most-expensive
Copyright © BloombergQuint
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 11:32 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
So, that doesn't mean much. Cheap housing in OKC is for good reasons. A lot of outsiders don't want to move to Oklahoma City, due to the year round bad weather. If it isn't the high winds blowing night and day, it's something else for bad weather. The lack of awesome scenery is another downside explaining the cheapness. The lack of decent paying jobs must be another factor.

I can't explain why housing is so cheap in Pittsburg. After all, it's got some scenery.

Old 04-22-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So, that doesn't mean much. Cheap housing in OKC is for good reasons. A lot of outsiders don't want to move to Oklahoma City, due to the year round bad weather. If it isn't the high winds blowing night and day, it's something else for bad weather. The lack of awesome scenery is another downside explaining the cheapness. The lack of decent paying jobs must be another factor.

I can't explain why housing is so cheap in Pittsburg. After all, it's got some scenery.

That all might be true but I don't think the weather in OKC is any better or worse than any other city in the US north or east of it, except perhaps along the eastern seaboard. And almost all those cities are more expensive. Jobs are a big factor. Its the economy I think plus politics. I know a lot of wealthy liberals out in California. And its not the weather that would keep them from ever moving out here but the politics would.

Old 04-22-2022, 08:56 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Townie, I do not know where you and some other folks come up with the notion that OK is cheap. I have not been able to find it so far. Good jobs are there. Good jobs allowing a decent living and tucking a bit away.
You are set on Stillwater/dope/booze/entertainment 24/7. Fine. But that does not necessarily work for others.
We moved to OK by choice. Was it an educated choice for me? No. I am making the best of it for time being.
Scenery does not pay bills for most folks. You have been in Stillwater most or all of your life, have family, ties and a network there. Does anyone remember Nightwish? Moved to cheap OK with not much more than memories that family was from OK a long time ago. Then cheap turned into isolation due to medical issues. Has anyone heard from Nightwish or any of the other posters looking for hard work, acreage, self sufficient lifestyle on a dime?

Old 04-22-2022, 12:37 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Oklahoma City, due to the year round bad weather.
You keep saying this but it simply isn't true on a relative scale. We have lots of nice days in OKC. We have mild winters compared to any place north of us and and we have shorter summers than any place south of us. We are one of the sunniest places in the country outside of the desert southwest, California and the Rocky Mountains.

But I think you are correct in people's perceptions of Oklahoma weather.

Old 04-22-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
You keep saying this but it simply isn't true on a relative scale. We have lots of nice days in OKC. We have mild winters compared to any place north of us and and we have shorter summers than any place south of us. We are one of the sunniest places in the country outside of the desert southwest, California and the Rocky Mountains.

Since I moved out here I watch the weather north and south of Oklahoma.

The perception on the west coast is tornadoes are a constant threat and you are likely to have your house destroyed by one at some point. That is the first thing have said to me when I said I was moving here. Oklahoma, but the tornadoes.

I think it has the right blend of the seasons. January and February are going to have too many cold and windy days for my liking. And July and August will hot most of the time. But the other 8 months have more nice days than bad ones.

If you look at Wichita the winters are colder and with a lot more snow. And the summers in Wichita about the same as here. And from me its only two hours north.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

Most of all it is the high wind that blows year-round in central Oklahoma for bad weather. It tries to settle down in July and August but then it's real HOT with high temps in the 90s and some days in the 100s. Also, too many freak storms or even freak seasons, like the unbelievably hot summer of 2011.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Since I moved out here I watch the weather north and south of Oklahoma.

The perception on the west coast is tornadoes are a constant threat and you are likely to have your house destroyed by one at some point. That is the first thing have said to me when I said I was moving here. Oklahoma, but the tornadoes.
Tornadoes are really fairly rare in Oklahoma, anyway. Many of them stay in rural areas before lifting back up. Farm homes may be hit, though. Stillwater hasn't had a tornado go through it since 1990. With the exception of Drumright in 1974, I can't recall towns around Stillwater ever getting hit by a tornado.

In the case of the Oklahoma City metro, it covers a much more developed and populated area and makes for an easier target for getting hit, along with a lot more news publicity to the world. Besides that, in some cases, the tornado bearing storms that originated in western Oklahoma haven't had enough time to settle down by the time they reach the OKC metro. Yet, I wonder how many neighborhoods in Oklahoma City have never been hit by a tornado.

People may ask me why I don't move from Oklahoma because the weather can sometimes get so bad too often. It's like how a young man, a strong supporter of legalizing medical marijuana, answered when I asked him how he can continue living in Caddo County after it had voted against legalizing medical marijuana. His answer, "Because it's home".

Old 04-23-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Most of all it is the high wind that blows year-round in central Oklahoma for bad weather. It tries to settle down in July and August but then it's real HOT with high temps in the 90s and some days in the 100s. Also, too many freak storms or even freak seasons, like the unbelievably hot summer of 2011.

I don't mind the wind unless its when its cold. Yesterday was great. In the 70's all day and the wind. I opened some windows and let the air blow through the house. Of course in winter when its in the 30's and very windy its horrible. Living through my first time where I spent all winter in Oklahoma I would say the cold weather is much worse than the hot weather. And I was here a year ago February when it was way below zero.

What amazes me is the extreme temperature changes. Living on the west coast that kind of thing is rare. Here its all the time unless a strong cold front causes it to stay cold for days or in the summer when the wind slows down and it can stay hot and dry for days.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:51 PM

33,318 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:

Part of it is definitely the weather.

I have friends who are from Pittsburg who live in Palm Springs and Rancho Mirage (California), and they would never go back, just re the weather alone.

With one couple, the wife's mother came out for a visit from the Pittsburg metro, staying in their guest house.....and she never left....and that was 20 years ago .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City