Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 04:09 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,748 times

Advertisements

Yes, agree, I don't see them investing billions in a fab if the market does not turn around, they'll need to see a robust market to complete the investment. This also goes for Micron, TSMC, & Samsung new fabs.

What role did you play in the industry? I'm a design engineer, started back in the 80s at one of TI's GaAs fabs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2023, 06:24 PM

469 posts, read 432,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Yes, agree, I don't see them investing billions in a fab if the market does not turn around, they'll need to see a robust market to complete the investment. This also goes for Micron, TSMC, & Samsung new fabs.

What role did you play in the industry? I'm a design engineer, started back in the 80s at one of TI's GaAs fabs.
Cool, you certainly know the biz!

To answer, I worked in Supply Chain and Operations Mgmt in the semiconductor industry. Spent some of that time doing factory capacity planning. It was brutal, yet fulfilling…lol.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, for sure.

Old 02-01-2023, 12:56 AM

7,485 posts, read 3,219,325 times
When they announce those build outs in Oregon, for instance, it's usually a 20 year plan. I'd say relax. It will happen over a very extended period of time.

Old 02-02-2023, 05:56 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
When they announce those build outs in Oregon, for instance, it's usually a 20 year plan. I'd say relax. It will happen over a very extended period of time.
Yes, definitely agree

Old 02-03-2023, 06:01 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
There's an article on the Columbus Dispatch site with the title Government aid will cut the cost of Intel's $20 billion project. It's for subscribers only, though.

Old 02-03-2023, 10:47 AM

469 posts, read 432,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
There's an article on the Columbus Dispatch site with the title Government aid will cut the cost of Intel's $20 billion project. It's for subscribers only, though.
Right, so I can’t access the article. Does it allude to 25% Federal subsidies per Fab from the CHIPS Act? That’s the last estimate I had heard. If so, that would be $5B of taxpayer funding on the two $20B Fabs. Please correct me if that’s wrong. Obviously that’s on top of the $2B incentives that Ohio taxpayers already signed up for as part of the original package to lure them here.

I don’t have a problem with this per se, and I don’t blame Intel for maximizing what they can get from taxpayer sources.

What I DO have a problem with is Intel’s continued insistence on paying out generous shareholder dividends - $6B last year alone - in an environment where their free cash flow has turned negative, and they are poised to receive multi-billion dollar taxpayer subsidies.

<<Intel is not touching its dividend, though, even as its free cash flow turned into the red during 2022 and is expected to be negative again this year. The chip maker paid out roughly $1.5B in dividends in the fourth quarter, completing $6B in annual payments, and maintained the same level of payments for the first quarter despite analysts questioning whether the company can afford it.>

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/in...nd-11675279447

I don’t like seeing taxpayer money flow to shareholder bank accounts in this manner. But I digress…

Last edited by SlideRules99; 02-03-2023 at 10:56 AM..

Old 02-04-2023, 06:20 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Right, so I can’t access the article. Does it allude to 25% Federal subsidies per Fab from the CHIPS Act? That’s the last estimate I had heard. If so, that would be $5B of taxpayer funding on the two $20B Fabs. Please correct me if that’s wrong. Obviously that’s on top of the $2B incentives that Ohio taxpayers already signed up for as part of the original package to lure them here.

I don’t have a problem with this per se, and I don’t blame Intel for maximizing what they can get from taxpayer sources.

What I DO have a problem with is Intel’s continued insistence on paying out generous shareholder dividends - $6B last year alone - in an environment where their free cash flow has turned negative, and they are poised to receive multi-billion dollar taxpayer subsidies.

<<Intel is not touching its dividend, though, even as its free cash flow turned into the red during 2022 and is expected to be negative again this year. The chip maker paid out roughly $1.5B in dividends in the fourth quarter, completing $6B in annual payments, and maintained the same level of payments for the first quarter despite analysts questioning whether the company can afford it.>

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/in...nd-11675279447

I don’t like seeing taxpayer money flow to shareholder bank accounts in this manner. But I digress…
I can't access it either. Maybe your local library has a subscription.

As far as stocks, I only own one stock individually. The rest of my stocks are part of an S&P 500 index. I kept this stock because it provides a good dividend. If Intel substantially reduced or eliminated their dividend, their stock price would plummet.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:12 PM

1,027 posts, read 445,887 times
Intel delays construction timeline for its $20 billion chipmaking project in Ohio amid market challenges and the slow rollout of U.S. grant money. Hmm...

Looking now like (3) opening for CHIP production in Central Ohio.

Old 02-02-2024, 09:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Interesting article on the topic at hand. Sounds promising.

https://fox8.com/news/intel-will-not...Akopyan%20said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio