Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 08:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,578 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family is planning to move to northern VA since both I and spouse got jobs in downtown DC. We plan on buying a single family home, with a max budget of 600k, hopefully with 4BRs and a decent yard. We have two kids under age 4. I found this forum searching online and hope to get some advice from those living in the area.

Can you recommend towns/neighborhoods in NoVA that are good for young families? Priority is of course cost of home, good schools and safe, family-friendly neighborhood. Also if you can provide some idea of how long it would take to commute from those areas to downtown DC or what public transportation options are available, I would greatly appreciate that.

Thanks for your time, everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 07:15 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,315,614 times
With that budget, if you wanted to keep your commute somewhat reasonable you're probably looking at Reston, Herndon, maybe West Springfield or Burke. Those areas would not have great commutes to DC, but probably tolerable for most people. The schools in those areas are generally good although I think there was 1 elementary school in Reston and 1 in Herndon I red flagged during my research. I can't remember their names but just do your research. It really depends on your commute tolerance though. There are people who live further out and commute to DC but are able to stomach 90-120 minute commutes each way.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:52 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,699 times
For a SFH your options are kind of limited.

If you are willing to look at townhouses, you will have a lot more areas to choose from (Fairfax, Falls Church etc)

Old 05-01-2014, 08:05 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,263,242 times
What part of DC? Closest metro stop to office?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:06 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,087,409 times
The answers you are going to get will depend upon what people read into your statement that you are looking for "good schools." That is commonly understood on C-D and other forums as "code language" to mean schools that are majority white/Asian with Great Schools scores of at least 6 or 7.

If you are willing to consider other schools, that opens up other possibilities closer to DC in places like South Arlington, Annandale, Springfield, and the Alexandria and Falls Church parts of Fairfax County. The schools will be part of the same county-wide system as schools in places in Reston and West Springfield, and they may even have smaller class sizes, but more of their energies may be devoted to addressing the needs of lower-income children and/or kids for whom English is not their native language. But the notion that you have few close-in SFH options is only true if you make certain assumptions with respect to which schools are considered acceptable.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:15 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,514,815 times
There's not that much anymore in the way of SFHs in South Arlington for $600k. Annandale or south Falls Church, yeah, that's still possible.

And yeah, good point from JEB77 about "good schools" being code for "majority White/Asian, with FARMS under 15%, and a GS ranking of 7 or higher."

Most of the "bad schools" in Northern VA end up being two schools in one -- they're maybe 40-60% White/Asian, FARMS of ~25-35%, and a GS ranking of 4-6. BUT -- and this is key -- you've got a high achieving population and a low achieving population, and the high achievers at say South Lakes or Herndon are just as high achieving as the kids at McLean, Madison, etc.

you've got a few ES that are 60%+ FARMS and like 10-20% White/Asian. But not many really.

I assume you'll be coming here for more than a few years, if not, you really ought to rent.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:20 AM

526 posts, read 900,613 times
You would be able to get a very nice house in West Springfield for your budget, and you would have a lot of commuting options. I would look in the 22152 area code. You'll find older, established neighborhoods with well-maintained houses, lots of families, and outstanding schools. I can't speak highly enough of this area. We're 10 minutes from the metro, there are lots of metro bus routes covering the area, we're 5 minutes from the Manassas VRE line and 10 minutes from the Fredericksburg VRE. It's really a wonderful place to live!

Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,245,857 times
Here are the options I recommend in Reston, both feed into Hunters Woods Elementary (9 on Great Schools).

12200 HOUNDS LN, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2500 FAUQUIER LN, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

See the link below for more information on Reston.
Welcome to Reston Association

Commute to DC will be about an hour.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:54 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Here are the options I recommend in Reston, both feed into Hunters Woods Elementary (9 on Great Schools).

12200 HOUNDS LN, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
2500 FAUQUIER LN, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

See the link below for more information on Reston.
Welcome to Reston Association

Commute to DC will be about an hour.

Commute to DC is going to suck.

Even with the Silver Line , whenever it comes into action.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:02 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,726 times
I think annandale, burke and west springfield are your best options in that price range. That's probably the closest into the city you are going to get with houses in that price range in VA.

Where in the city are your jobs? That can make a difference. If you are going to Union Station area, VRE station accessibility is great. If it is more like Farragut or Dupont, you might want metrobusses nearby.

Also, do you have to be in VA? You might want to also consider places like Rockville or Silver Spring in MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia